is pairing kaby lake with DDR3 ram a new trend or what?

this guy: 

and then this one:

both are using a gigabyte board with DDR3 slots - whats up with that ? act of desperation? i don't get it.

DDR3 isn't even that much cheaper. 

Likely already had the RAM laying around, and bought the board cheap. Makes sense.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On the used market in my country DDR3 is basically half the price of DDR4. So it does makes sense and I think it's cool. It's wasteful to throw away good DDR3, DDR4 isn't an extreme improvement by any means as far as I can tell.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

3 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

On the used market in my country DDR3 is basically half the price of DDR4. So it does makes sense and I think it's cool. It's wasteful to throw away good DDR3, DDR4 isn't an extreme improvement by any means as far as I can tell.

i know - and if buying used ram actually works in your area then that is good for you - it sure does not work here because dumb fuck sellers don't know how to ship RAM in a way so it will arrive in one piece.

so i have to buy new ram exclusively and the price difference with new ram isn't much 

@KenjiUmino

DDR3 isnt even compatible with Kaby lake. 

Only the mini DDR3L low voltage RAM can work.

They literally wont fit. The keying isnt the same.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

2 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

@KenjiUmino

DDR3 isnt even compatible with Kaby lake. 

Only the mini DDR3L can work in certain motherboards.

there is DDR3L in full length DIMM form factor - but still - i imagine that kaby lakes "DDR3L support" mentioned on the ark product page might be rather half assed and that pairing kaby lake with DDR3 may present a lot of problems. 

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

there is DDR3L in full length DIMM form factor - but still - i imagine that kaby lakes "DDR3L support" mentioned on the ark product page might be rather half assed and that pairing kaby lake with DDR3 may present a lot of problems. 

The full length ones wont fit or work at all they have different keying cutouts.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

15 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

The full length ones wont fit or work at all they have different keying cutouts.

you sure about that ?

i have a pair of RipjawsX LV (1.35v to 1.5v) on the same board as a pair of regular RipjawsX (1.5v only) - the board is a regular old MSI B85

the 1.35v compatible sticks should have different key notches then - right ?

i did not notice any difference tho. (except that the LV sticks are 1600 MHz and blue while the non LV are 1333 MHz and black) 

34 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

you sure about that ?

i have a pair of RipjawsX LV (1.35v to 1.5v) on the same board as a pair of regular RipjawsX (1.5v only) - the board is a regular old MSI B85

the 1.35v compatible sticks should have different key notches then - right ?

i did not notice any difference tho. (except that the LV sticks are 1600 MHz and blue while the non LV are 1333 MHz and black) 

That's not what I meant. the DDR3L and DDR3 have the Same keyed notches.

The DDR3L and DDR4 have different notches.

13 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

The DDR3L and DDR4 have different notches.

yeah - they are both using mainboards with DDR3 slots on them. 

58 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

yeah - they are both using mainboards with DDR3 slots on them. 

Sorry, i'm not following what you are saying?

31 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Sorry, i'm not following what you are saying?

The people using DDR3 use motherboards that take DDR3 but have a 1151 socket.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

OHHH... LOL! now I understand. Thank you!

2 hours ago, App4that said:

You what? Those exist?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

You what? Those exist?

Yup, pain in my ass too because I keep on forgeting they do. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.