Stop Charging your Phone Overnight!

I knew this keep the battery between 40-80%

also still no comment on the PIA hiring Mark Karpeles... 

4 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

Charging circuitry on modern devices won't let further power if its fully charged, I've done this with my old Lumia 640 for 2 years :D

That's correct: your phone will not overcharge. However, holding high voltage for long periods stresses the battery.

yeah I don't carry a charger with me everywhere I go, no way will I follow this concept, also i've been draining down to under 5% and recharging to full for every device i've ever had and My Galaxy Tab 2 7" lasts just as long now as it did 5 and a half years ago, actually longer now then when new because of the newer more battery efficient version of Android I installed some time after I got it, it's used purely as music playback while driving in the car and I do the same amount of driving every week so it's a pretty reliable measurement of use and I get the same 40-45 days of battery life (no bullshit, about an hour a day of music playback through the headphone jack at max volume with the screen off) that I did 3-4 years ago when I installed this ROM.

if you want to get into things you shouldn't do, you shouldn't use a car charger at all, if you do you shouldn't have the phone plugged into the car charger when you crank the car (honestly the car charger shouldn't be plugged into the cigarette adapter when the car is cranked) and you shouldn't leave it plugged in when the car is off, leave the phone in a hot car or any of that kind of crap, me and my brother once had the same phone, bought at the same time, I followed my rules, he did the other stuff, at the end of 2 years my battery life was twice what his was.

Something else you shouldn't do is leave a battery with a low charge for a long period of time (like weeks or months), if you have an old phone keep it powered on in like Airplane mode and charge it when needed, letting a battery sit at a constant state is also not good for them and will often kill them if that state is to low.

If you have a smart outlet, you can use tasker and IFTTT to disable the outlet when the phone reaches a specific percentage, and then power back on when the battery drains. A method that does not require root to prevent the battery from charging to 100%

The charging circuitry or the OS should just automagically cut the charging off and fudge the number so you don't notice. It's not like Average Joe measures how much current consumption his phone uses to verify his battery capacity anyway.

EDIT: Or better yet, just make it over 100%.

I have a Nexus 7 2013 I keep in the kitchen on a wall mount and there's a Qi charger so it can stay fully charged but slide out wires free when I want it for other things.

...So that Nexus 7 is on it's THIRD battery because it kept ballooning up every y 12-18 months due to the constant heat of sitting on a Qi charger 24/7 most days.  Also I damaged some connectors when replacing the battery the third time and now the accelerometer/GPS/Orientation and any of that telemetry stuff is dead so I'm in the market for a comtemporary Nexus 7 replacement. =X

Funny note: If the battery on a Nexus 7 gets big enough, it pushes the back of it out far enough separating the contacts for the Qi antenna, which then stops it from Qi charging. :D 

Considering most people upgrade every 2 years, does this even matter in the long run? Even for those that keep devices longer batteries only last for so long regardless.

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Considering most people upgrade every 2 years, does this even matter in the long run? Even for those that keep devices longer batteries only last for so long regardless.

Kind of my thinking. Given how disposable phones are, it's not terribly useful for most people. That said, some people, like myself, don't like buying new stuff every few years. I'm on a Blackberry Z30 that's lasted three years and shows no sign of slowing down, despite the fact that I charge it to full every night. But, even for people who do want to maximise the usable life of their devices, I don't think keeping the phone between 50-60% is really practical.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

I've been charging my phone overnight for 14 years already and nothing happened, it's either exceptionally well manufactured or new batteries are junk -_-

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

So, I've got a Sony Xperia XZ with battery care. It stops charging my phone at 90% and than fully charges it just before I wake up. Does this mean that I can just safely charge my phone overnight without my battery getting damaged or anything??

I charge my iPhone 7 from somewhere around 30 or 40% all the way to 100% every single night. I’ve been doing this for a year and a half, and it says my maximum capacity is at 86% of the original capacity. Since I’ll probably upgrade once the next cycle of iPhones come out, I don’t think I have to worry about my battery health too much.

By the way, how does one go about “quick charging” their phone? Is it a cable thing? Something else? Thanks in advance.

meanwhile i've been doing exactly what linus is saying not to do for 5 years with my moto G.

this thing gets charged overnight, ran straight into the ground, and charged overnight again..

i do think part of that 5 year lifetime is the fact that after 5 years the battery still lasts almost a week straight.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

meanwhile i've been doing exactly what linus is saying not to do for 5 years with my moto G.

My Moto G 2nd gen I've done the same exact opposite, and truth be told it's battery is still decent, not the best but hardly looses battery (don't boot it anymore due to a damaged USB plug).

I was bored one day and actually yanked out my Sammy S4s battery when it was fully charged to see what happened. Nothing, that's what, till I put it back in then the battery read was all messed up, but thats all xD I actually don't think leaving your phones plugged in overnight actually cause damage anymore, maybe back in the NiMH days or older Lithium ones. I use quick charge all the time and leave my phone plugged in all the time. it's battery life (based on use) doesn't change throughout the year or 2 I use it, I still use my Stylo 2 frequently no issues.

I think this video is 5 years too late, but the meme possibilities in it are endless.

Edit: misread your post :P

YYYYYAAAAYYYY, rejoice for old hardware like my s4 where I can just switch out a new battery whenever I want.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

100% on your phone isn't 100% of the battery's actual capacity.   This video is nonsense with outdated and misinformation.

58 minutes ago, SpacePeanut said:

I charge my iPhone 7 from somewhere around 30 or 40% all the way to 100% every single night. I’ve been doing this for a year and a half, and it says my maximum capacity is at 86% of the original capacity. Since I’ll probably upgrade once the next cycle of iPhones come out, I don’t think I have to worry about my battery health too much.

By the way, how does one go about “quick charging” their phone? Is it a cable thing? Something else? Thanks in advance.

My iPhone 7 Plus is at 90% health, bought at launch.  I rape it every night charging + Facetime + gaming at the same time.  100-0  every day.  No issues.

Quickcharge was only added on the iPhone 8 and X (and presumably the 9 when that comes out).  You need a compatible charger, because it uses more than 5V.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

31 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

My Moto G 2nd gen I've done the same exact opposite, and truth be told it's battery is still decent, not the best but hardly looses battery (don't boot it anymore due to a damaged USB plug).

I was bored one day and actually yanked out my Sammy S4s battery when it was fully charged to see what happened. Nothing, that's what, till I put it back in then the battery read was all messed up, but thats all xD I actually don't think leaving your phones plugged in overnight actually cause damage anymore, maybe back in the NiMH days or older Lithium ones. I use quick charge all the time and leave my phone plugged in all the time. it's battery life (based on use) doesn't change throughout the year or 2 I use it, I still use my Stylo 2 frequently no issues.

I think this video is 5 years too late, but the meme possibilities in it are endless.

Edit: misread your post :P

i totally leave NiMH batteries to charge overnight, because i have a decent charger, that doesnt try to shove more power in once they hit full charge.

i'd dare state that if you can charge your phone in a way that causes notable wear on the battery, the phone manufacturer (yes, because the phone decides how it charges, not the charger.) has failed.

I disagree with this video. As others have already mentioned your phone/battery doesn't allow being charged/discharged at maximum, even if your phone says 100% it's not really at 100%(same with 0%), this whole charge until 80%/below 20% is unnecessary. I have a ~5 years old Chinese noname smartphone that I'm still using, I charge it at full and leave it over night, my battery lasts just the same as the day I bought it. You know what's my secret? Shitty Chinese charger that only outputs 500mA(wouldn't be surprised if it's actually even less). For comparison my brother at the time bought Galaxy S2 whos battery he changed 2 times. The difference? His Samsung charger output is 1200mA. The higher the amperage the faster the battery charges but also the more it ruins the battery. So the solution? Since you're going to leave your phone charge over night(it's the most convenient time) it doesn't matter if your phone is going to charge for 2 or 8 hours, just pick up a weak charger and let it be. I'm starting to believe this is some king of conspiracy of phone manufacturers to include high output chargers so it can ruin your battery faster and encourage you to get a new phone.

EDIT: I just completely drained my battery(3.7v) to the point of my phone turning off, my multimeter says it's at 3.48 volts which should be fine considering the minimum allowed is 3. I'm going to fully charge it, measure it again and edit.

EDIT2: Fully charged it's 4.10, which should be fine again considering it should go above 4.20

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i'd dare state that if you can charge your phone in a way that causes notable wear on the battery, the phone manufacturer (yes, because the phone decides how it charges, not the charger.) has failed.

Actually that's one thing I should mention, my Stylo 3 (my daily driver) I actually managed to trigger a safety feature which turned off a ton of features (Possibly turning off the phone, I forget) including charging, because the phone got way too hot. I had Pokemon go running with quick charge for about a hour xD

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Actually that's one thing I should mention, my Stylo 3 (my daily driver) I actually managed to trigger a safety feature which turned off a ton of features (Possibly turning off the phone, I forget) including charging, because the phone got way too hot. I had Pokemon go running with quick charge for about a hour xD

huawei needs that when their wireless chips go haywire trying to keep signal connected, randomly draining what must be about 20 watts based on the amount of battery drainage on a short amount of time..

36 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

-Snip-

13 minutes ago, Progressor said:

-Snip-

That brings up a point, I don't think the actual amp-hours used when charging was actually measured. Only a vague "amps goes down over time" or something was mentioned.

36 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i totally leave NiMH batteries to charge overnight, because i have a decent charger, that doesnt try to shove more power in once they hit full charge.

I hope those batteries were drained beforehand. :P

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I hope those batteries were drained beforehand. :P

i only recharge when they are so dead the device doesnt even act like it's working anymore :D

What about Oneplus' 'Dash Charge'? It should be pretty much the same, but the power delivery is different as I understand.

keeping a battery at only 50-60% will only be practical under the following circumstances.

1. You can set it in the software to stop accepting charge after that point

2. Batteries are big enough that 1/2 the battery lasts over 24 hrs

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.