4GB RAM & Page File

Right, so I have this budget PC I had built 3 years ago, and have since upgraded (check sig), however the RAM has remained at 4GB.

While it's enough for most games, it seems to be too little for the likes of Killing Floor 2, I tested with an 8GB stick (that was unstable, and it also ruined my framerate down to 30 from 45-60), and it was using 5GB of RAM so it's definitely writing to the page file.

Now, there's also the fact that I have an SSD and I'm worried that the system is writing A LOT to the page file which will kill it significantly sooner. While I'm aware the page file doesn't really lead to an SSD's death, most of those people have enough RAM to not require a lot of page file writing.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

pagefiling would hurt the SSD over time as each "cell" in the SSD can only do X amounts of writes. as long as there is say a 30 GB headroom for pagefile writing and other shenanigans it should last quite long due to the spread out load. it is recommended to keep an SSD alive for a long time that 10 % is kept empty. i think you will be fine, but dont wonder if it dies 5 years down the lane.

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

pagefiling would hurt the SSD over time as each "cell" in the SSD can only do X amounts of writes. as long as there is say a 30 GB headroom for pagefile writing and other shenanigans it should last quite long due to the spread out load. it is recommended to keep an SSD alive for a long time that 10 % is kept empty. i think you will be fine, but dont wonder if it dies 5 years down the lane.

I should upgrade the RAM before those 5 years, also the SSD is 240GB in size.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Just now, xFluing said:

id try to get 8 GB as fast as possible. SSDs arent cheap and can be re-used in future systems. im currently attempting to keep 20 GB og headroom on my 240 Gb SSD. i think it is 16 writes per Cell, but this can vary between the type of cell and so fourth. i used to play on a 4 GB laptop while page-filing to an HDD. lets just say the HDD competed with the fan over who could be the loudest one. i went from a solid 22 fps to around 30, while the 1% lows were much better. i think you would have a much better experience with roughly 8 GB of ram. 

5 minutes ago, xFluing said:

currently running 8 GB in my laptop. sadly i downloaded the wrong OS when i swapped the HDD for an SSD

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

currently running 8 GB in my laptop. sadly i downloaded the wrong OS when i swapped the HDD for an SSD

image.png.03687e744cbaa1a680757a5274069148.png

Just did this, C: is SSD and E: is HDD, hopefully the page file should be written to the HDD now.

10 minutes ago, xFluing said:

image.png.03687e744cbaa1a680757a5274069148.png

Just did this, C: is SSD and E: is HDD, hopefully the page file should be written to the HDD now.

expect performance loss due to this and maybe some increased stuttering. the HDD has responsetime issues aswell. if the performance loss is great you can probably pagefile to the SSD for now

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

expect performance loss due to this and maybe some increased stuttering. the HDD has responsetime issues aswell. if the performance loss is great you can probably pagefile to the SSD for now

I noticed no fps improvements since getting the SSD so it shouldn't be a problem.

ok. i was playing World of warships when i got the bump in fps and smoothness whe going from HDD to Ram. world of Wartships use about 5 GB of Ram i believe.