10 cores overkill for cad and rendering?

hello guys I am planning to upgrade my crappy dual core PC to a 10 core E5-2680 v2 (2.8 base / 3.6 boost) for large sketchup buildings and rendering to a high level of detail in sketchup and maybe solid-works in the future. but do I really need 10 cores for $300?

I also use my pc for gaming on games like fallout 4, csgo, tomb raider, ect.

should I go down to 8 cores like a E5-2690 which costs more or should I just stay with my 2680 v2? plz help

i dont know if those programs use the CPU much, but i think solid works benefited by a quadro GPU more than more CPU cores

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Do you have the motherboard already? You might as well buy the Ryzen 2700/2700x because E5-2680 v2 or E5-2690 you mentioned are dead platforms. It is much better for gaming, and it will perform just as well as the 2680 v2/2690 since it has a higher clockspeed. Between the two you mentioned, I would go with the 2680 v2 because it was built on a much newer processor node, has more cores, etc. There is no reason to go for the E5-2690 if it costs more.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont know if those programs use the CPU much, but i think solid works benefited by a quadro GPU more than more CPU cores

I didn't either but I just thought it would be good to be a few cores ahead and it would be cheaper and stuff but yeah

Really you're probably better off going with something like the 8700K or 8400, they will be close if not better for rendering and absolutely heaps better for the actual sketching portion and gaming.

2 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Really you're probably better off going with something like the 8700K or 8400, they will be close if not better for rendering and absolutely heaps better for the actual sketching portion and gaming.

ok I was thinking about ryzen 2700 or the 8700k it will cost me more but ok. X79 is expensive to buy good boards for but I could buy a cheap Chinese one which will cut costs down by $300 but the 2700 and 8700k will push the cost up by $150 or 200 i think

2 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

I didn't either but I just thought it would be good to be a few cores ahead and it would be cheaper and stuff but yeah

id check up on how dependent the programs are on CPU/GPU, and spend more on the one that matters more pretty much

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I would suggest looking up whether the specific programs that you're going to use benefits from more cores or better IPC, or works better with a GPU. Look up reviews and such b/c different drivers and optimization between different programs will affect how well they can take advantage of whatever hardware. If CPU and core bound, I would go with the 2700X. If IPC bound, I would go with the 8700K. If GPU bound... Good luck with that (though the pricing has gone down). If it is GPU bound, or does better with a powerful GPU, look up whether it benefits from more computing power (Vega) or just depends on strong CUDA performance (NVIDIA). oh, and whether those programs are optimized for AMD or NVIDIA GPU's. 

3 minutes ago, Rampakslue said:

I would suggest looking up whether the specific programs that you're going to use benefits from more cores or better IPC, or works better with a GPU. Look up reviews and such b/c different drivers and optimization between different programs will affect how well they can take advantage of whatever hardware. If CPU and core bound, I would go with the 2700X. If IPC bound, I would go with the 8700K. If GPU bound... Good luck with that (though the pricing has gone down). If it is GPU bound, or does better with a powerful GPU, look up whether it benefits from more computing power (Vega) or just depends on strong CUDA performance (NVIDIA). oh, and whether those programs are optimized for AMD or NVIDIA GPU's. 

I have looked at the hardware monitor and the render software I use is CPU rendering only and my CPU takes ages to render and for an hour and a half I can't do anything I can't see my gpu being 100 percent used but mostly 50%. but I am thinking about using solid works like I said before or Revit

9 hours ago, thegoogler said:

ok I was thinking about ryzen 2700 or the 8700k it will cost me more but ok. X79 is expensive to buy good boards for but I could buy a cheap Chinese one which will cut costs down by $300 but the 2700 and 8700k will push the cost up by $150 or 200 i think

Both could be good although in my experience single core is more important for most CAD tasks.  If you haven't already watched it I strongly recommend this video: 3D Modeling & Design – Do you REALLY need a Xeon and Quadro??

33 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Both could be good although in my experience single core is more important for most CAD tasks.  If you haven't already watched it I strongly recommend this video: 3D Modeling & Design – Do you REALLY need a Xeon and Quadro??

What Alex said/wrote in the video. I wish I'd had that info when I was in college.

I think either the 2700 or 8700 based system will be quite fine. Unless you're benchmarking them against each other you're unlikely to notice a difference in performance between those chips in Solidworks.

13 hours ago, bimmerman said:

What Alex said/wrote in the video. I wish I'd had that info when I was in college.

I think either the 2700 or 8700 based system will be quite fine. Unless you're benchmarking them against each other you're unlikely to notice a difference in performance between those chips in Solidworks.

I am only thinking about using solid works when I start getting money from my part time job I only use sketchup at the moment because it is free.

14 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Thanks heaps I can't believe I forgot about that video I don't know which part the software is most reliant on. would I be able to buy a cheap quadro if I needed it and just slap it in a pcie slot on my motherboard?

2 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

Thanks heaps I can't believe I forgot about that video I don't know which part the software is most reliant on. would I be able to buy a cheap quadro if I needed it and just slap it in a pcie slot on my motherboard?

Depends on what motherboard you have exactly but most likely yes.  You might be better off going for something like an RX 580 (if prices go down) since that will allow for you to game a whole lot better than say a P1000.

2 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Depends on what motherboard you have exactly but most likely yes.  You might be better off going for something like an RX 580 (if prices go down) since that will allow for you to game a whole lot better than say a P1000.

Yes, if I did get the 10 core xeon I would have it overclocked to all 10 cores @ 3Ghz and the board I would get is asus ROG IV gene I have done some research and apparently sketchup can't scale over many cores but I have seen gaming benchmarks using the xeon e5-2680 v2 and it seems pretty good. Yeah once I start getting money from my part time job I will be able to buy a better graphics card than the 1050 ti that I use now. thanks for your help :)