¨MOCA¨ - Multimedia over coax alliance

Moca, or Multimedia over Coax alliance, to my knowledge, Uses Coax to run a 1.5 GHz Signal, that would carry multimedia from a PC or Repeater, while your Cable company runs HDTV through 3 Ghz, on the same line. This is fascinating to me but there is little to no documentation on this, there are very few people that i have seen on the internet that use this. If someone could explain this in more detail that would be great. The use case for this technology is maybe an older house that doesn´t have ethernet wiring through the house, as my situation is. Powerline networking can be fairly unreliable in these older houses, so i chose not to pursue this.  

I'm not all knowing in this specific field but what part are you asking to have explained? How two different signals can go across the same wire?

7 hours ago, PickleSauce said:

Moca, or Multimedia over Coax alliance, to my knowledge, Uses Coax to run a 1.5 GHz Signal, that would carry multimedia from a PC or Repeater, while your Cable company runs HDTV through 3 Ghz, on the same line. This is fascinating to me but there is little to no documentation on this, there are very few people that i have seen on the internet that use this. If someone could explain this in more detail that would be great. The use case for this technology is maybe an older house that doesn´t have ethernet wiring through the house, as my situation is. Powerline networking can be fairly unreliable in these older houses, so i chose not to pursue this.  

What I can tell you is this. You should be able to get 400-800 Mbps depends on adapters. Only 16 Moca devices can be on a network. You need Moca capable splitters, and a filter on the main cable line coming in from the cable company. Also, decent wiring in the walls. Moca is half duplex like WiFi, so it only communicates one direction at a time and I have heard it has higher latency then Ethernet. Also, from what I read there should be no more than 300 feet of cable between adapters. And yes, you can run cable TV or OTA TV over the same like that uses Moca, CableTV/OTA generally uses bands less than 950 Mhz. While Moca uses 1-1.5 Ghz. 

That being said, I have not used Moca myself. I was going to do it but then I managed to get the modem and router in my room, so no point to it. There is only one company that makes Moca 2.0 adapters, so there is not much of a choice. If you have a whole home DVR setup from your cable provider then there is a chance you have a moca filter already, as most of those systems use moca to communicate between boxes. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, PickleSauce said:

Cable TV and DOCSIS internet uses everything from 5MHz to 1GHz. MoCA uses 1GHz to 1.5GHz. Satellite TV signals are 1.5GHz to 3GHz. The amplifiers, splitters, etc used outside of a home or business only work for signals up to 1GHz (older units up to 750MHz, then 860MHz, then 950MHz), because frequencies higher than that attenuate too quickly to be useful at the distances of a neighborhood and greater.

Cable companies are starting to use MoCA extensively to provide data connections to their set-top boxes. In my area both Cox and Verizon Fios use MoCA. Prior set-top boxes were limited to one-direction communication (downloading channel guide info via a channel that encodes non-video data) or had to have a DOCSIS modem builtin. The new features you see like one DVR with multiple other units that can control the DVR and view its content are usually based on MoCA. Also Cox’s home wifi mesh product uses MoCA as its primary backbone connection. MoCA can even be used instead of DOCSIS for the WAN side connection - Fios ONTs usually support both coax (MoCA) and ethernet connections to the Gateway (their fancy name for a router). MoCA has separate channels defined for WAN and LAN traffic.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Go to lon.tv (lon seidmon) on youtube. It has several videos on setting up moca.. the devices to buy... and the speeds you can expect.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/