Why more dp ports than HDMI?

pomkon

Many display cards have 3 DP ports, but only 1 HDMI port. Hdmi cables are easy and cheap to get, easier for multiple monitor setup. 

Why more dp ports then hdmi>?

1 minute ago, pomkon said:

Many display cards have 3 DP ports, but only 1 HDMI port. Hdmi cables are easy and cheap to get, easier for multiple monitor setup. 

IIRC, it's because DP offers better content protection than HDMI (aka, DRM)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, pomkon said:

DP ports can be converted over to HDMI ports and depending on the version they have on the HDMI it can be a limiting factor to what resolution and refresh rate it's capable of. There is also the royalty fees involved in having HDMI ports compared to DP which I recall is nothing. 

Edited by W-L

DisplayPort is more capable than HDMI, and cheaper. It's also PC-specific, while HDMI is more general-purpose.

Higher resolutions are generally supported sooner on DP than HDMI, and the same goes for new features like G-Sync/Freesync.

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

IIRC, it's because DP offers better content protection than HDMI (aka, DRM)

That is the completely oposite way man, HDMI has DRM.

31 minutes ago, pomkon said:

Wrong, DP has no fee for implementation, every HDMI cable has to pay x-amount to the patent holder, which makes DP cheaper, it's better and basically there should be no reason to use HDMI except if you want to feed sound or video to a home theatre system.

5 hours ago, Sack said:

Thx for the correction

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, Sack said:

Wrong, DP has no fee for implementation, every HDMI cable has to pay x-amount to the patent holder, which makes DP cheaper, it's better and basically there should be no reason to use HDMI except if you want to feed sound or video to a home theatre system.

DP does sound too.

They both do drm and sound. Or at least my 10xx series gpu’s do with a dp to hdmi cable connected to a tv.

so it’s just the more resolution and higher refresh rate at a lower cost

19 minutes ago, Pip313 said:

They both do drm and sound. Or at least my 10xx series gpu’s do with a dp to hdmi cable connected to a tv.

so it’s just the more resolution and higher refresh rate at a lower cost

essentially

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

If you scroll down you can get an excel spread sheet like data on bandwith

JGarrison

44 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

DP does sound too.

So das HDMI

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

23 hours ago, W-L said:

DP ports can be converted over to HDMI ports and depending on the version they have on the HDMI it can be a limiting factor to what resolution and refresh rate it's capable of. There is also the royalty fees involved in having HDMI ports compared to DP which I recall is nothing. 

but dp cables are more expensive? hdmi cables are so cheap and everywhere?

2 minutes ago, pomkon said:

This is about the cost of putting the ports on the devices. HDMI has a royalty fee, DP does not.

The cable cost is a bit lower for HDMI because HDMI is used for many different kinds of electronics and are thus produced in greater quantities. But it shouldn't be a big difference if you shop around. It's just that eg. a high street store may have overpriced DP cables because it's a niche item to them.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Also the Amazon Basics is 9 bucks and should still be solid quality. Their HDMI cable is 7 bucks, so there is a price difference... but it's pretty small.

Display ports are better overall if youre thinking of upgrading to 144hz monitors or 4k monitors, that 2 bucks is an investement towards the future!!!

On 5/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, pomkon said:

If you need more HDMI ports, you can easily convert DisplayPort output to HDMI with a $5 adapter. If you need more DisplayPort ports, HDMI output cannot easily be converted to DisplayPort. You need active adapters around $30, and you'll be limited to around HDMI 1.4 speeds, less than a third of what DisplayPort itself is capable of.

Since DisplayPort has many capabilities that HDMI does not have (G-Sync, higher resolutions and refresh rates), and you can't make more DP ports from HDMI, it makes sense to have a lot of DP ports than the other way around.

4 hours ago, pomkon said:

This is in terms of the GPU not the cabling side, but that is just due to the general demand and widespread use of HDMI. Also they aren't much more than a decent HDMI cable.