Software Development

I’m looking into software development for windows and was wondering what the best, most useful language for beginners is. I’m looking into C# but I don’t know if that’s my best option

thank you.

Download visual studio community, and start in C# console

6 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

Download visual studio community, and start in C# console

visual studio code > visual studio 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

34 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

visual studio code > visual studio 

nope beginners should still use visual studio its much better than vs code which is just a fancy text editor besides OP is talking about Windows Software development that means GUI based application so VS Code isn't a viable option there.

Pretty sure you can code a windows app in any language. But if you want to compile native codes without something in between like a virtual machine and interpreter, c++ or c are the best choices. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, abdullah2993 said:

nope beginners should still use visual studio its much better than vs code which is just a fancy text editor besides OP is talking about Windows Software development that means GUI based application so VS Code isn't a viable option there.

Not using xaml and wpf to create your gui? 

Noone should still be using win forms.

And seeing as you suggested learning "console" in c# vs code would be a better place to start off.

30 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Not using xaml and wpf to create your gui? 

Noone should still be using win forms.

And seeing as you suggested learning "console" in c# vs code would be a better place to start off.

VS is the only option for WPF(XAML).

don't get me wrong VS Code is amazing it is my goto solution because now a days I mainly code is golang, js and occasionally dotnet core. but when it comes to GUI on windows nothing can beat VS

1 hour ago, WindowsIsLife said:

I know basic HTML but that’s it 

That's a mark up and not a programming language clue is in the name.

You could consider JavaScript, with node being a thing you can use it on the front and back end.

This afternoon I created a real time chat using socket io and nodejs for the server. I mostly wanted to test using node to run a tor hidden service and that seemed like a good choice.

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

This afternoon I created a real time chat using socket io and nodejs for the server. I mostly wanted to test using node to run a tor hidden service and that seemed like a good choice.

does socket.io works with js disabled?

32 minutes ago, abdullah2993 said:

does socket.io works with js disabled?

Sadly not, so I doubt any tor users would enable it for my site though it's only 14 lines of code.

It was however nice to learn.

The benefit for tor is that nothing is ever stored on the server, messages are pushed from you to everyone connected, there is no login and no way to tie any message to any person. Unless something they say contains it.

If you refresh you lose all the messages that you have gotten so far.

I use nodeJS at work and recently finished a 2 week project to move our billing service into aws lambda as a result we can handle basically unlimited requests as they scale up as needed.

Though this feels like it's going off topic.

11 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Sadly not, so I doubt any tor users would enable it for my site though it's only 14 lines of code.

the thing I like about TOR is the fact that you don't have to do anything to get your hidden service running you don't even have to expose your webserver to the outside world its kind of like ngrok

On 5/5/2018 at 5:20 AM, abdullah2993 said:

The term Software development doesn't automatically infer a GUI implementation... 

32 minutes ago, DtrollMC said:

The term Software development doesn't automatically infer a GUI implementation... 

anyone new to programming talking about windows software development imo means desktop application but i may be wrong

44 minutes ago, abdullah2993 said:

anyone new to programming talking about windows software development imo means desktop application but i may be wrong

Not necessarily. Most new programmers do a lot of command line programming. 

Either way,the term software development is the process of creating software, be either programs, frameworks, or what have you. A small portion of that is GUI based applications. 

3 hours ago, DtrollMC said:

Not necessarily. Most new programmers do a lot of command line programming. 

Either way,the term software development is the process of creating software, be either programs, frameworks, or what have you. A small portion of that is GUI based applications. 

GUI wasn’t a thing until Microsoft invented the “window” e.g. ui inside a rectangular container which is called window with an x for closing the app, another for maximize, and another for minimize.

ever wonder where the Microsoft operating system gets its name from? It is the greatest invention in the history of operating system. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

20 hours ago, abdullah2993 said:

the thing I like about TOR is the fact that you don't have to do anything to get your hidden service running you don't even have to expose your webserver to the outside world its kind of like ngrok

It is very nice just add the lines to torrc and restart tor.

Ngrok is awesome too, I was looking for this a few weeks ago and couldn't remember the name lol.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:08 AM, wasab said:

Pretty sure you can code a windows app in any language. But if you want to compile native codes without something in between like a virtual machine and interpreter, c++ or c are the best choices. 

C# compiles to machine code too eventually.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:57 AM, wasab said:

GUI wasn’t a thing until Microsoft invented the “window” e.g. ui inside a rectangular container which is called window with an x for closing the app, another for maximize, and another for minimize.

ever wonder where the Microsoft operating system gets its name from? It is the greatest invention in the history of operating system. 

Are we doing history lessons?

Xerox PARC built a computer using a graphical user interface that included windows, menus, radio buttons, and checkboxes. Steve Jobs allegedly toured Xerox PARC and played around with this computer. Then he took the ideas back to Apple with him when making the Apple Lisa in 1983. 1984 saw the release of the Macintosh computer which also was primary GUI driven. It wasn't until 1985 did Microsoft come out with Windows. Though other windowing based GUI environments or OSes were already available earlier in the year such as Digital Research's GEM, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, and some others.

Apple in fact tried to sue Microsoft for using some traits regarding the windowing system, like overlapping windows. But ultimately Apple failed.

Microsoft might've came up with the "X" button for closing windows, but that didn't come out on Windows until Windows 95.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:17 PM, WindowsIsLife said:

I’m looking into software development for windows and was wondering what the best, most useful language for beginners is. I’m looking into C# but I don’t know if that’s my best option

thank you.

So to appease myself in contributing to this topic, C# is a good language to start with. Though I caution it has a few of "nice" things that may make using other languages a bit more... annoying? It may not really be a problem if you don't plan on pursuing other languages like C or C++

However one thing I emphasize when learning how to program isn't really so much learning a language. It's learning the concepts surrounding programming. Learn the basics first, then we can worry about the finer details (like C# having a garbage collection system whereas C/C++ natively does not) later.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:35 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

So to appease myself in contributing to this topic, C# is a good language to start with. Though I caution it has a few of "nice" things that may make using other languages a bit more... annoying? It may not really be a problem if you don't plan on pursuing other languages like C or C++

However one thing I emphasize when learning how to program isn't really so much learning a language. It's learning the concepts surrounding programming. Learn the basics first, then we can worry about the finer details (like C# having a garbage collection system whereas C/C++ natively does not) later.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate all of your help