nVidia ends GeForce Partner Program

WMGroomAK
2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

One of the known details of GPP is that those that sign receive priority in supply.

Or written as explicitly as possible, for the stupid:

Those that don't sign will be sold fewer chips due to not submitting to Nvidia's whim.

Yes. It means jack shit. That is AMD/ATI dealing with an OEM breaking contract and manufacturing their final product outside of a prior agreed upon spec. It did not affect Nvidia in any form.

Nvidia deserves nothing.

Nvidia attempted to violate the right of manufacturers by way of extortion.

Nvidia has the right to tell their board partners to kick rocks and make the only way to buy an Nvidia card be through Nvidia.

Rights, people have them. I know rights piss people off, but hey. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Nvidia has the right to tell their board partners to kick rock and make the only way to buy an Nvidia card be through Nvidia.

Rights, people have them. I know rights piss people off, but hey. 

Nvidia does have that right.

They don't have the right to dictate another company's marketing and branding practices.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

One of the known details of GPP is that those that sign receive priority in supply.

Those that don't sign will be sold fewer chips due to not submitting to Nvidia's whim.

Yes. It means jack shit. That is AMD/ATI dealing with an OEM breaking contract and manufacturing their final product outside of a prior agreed upon spec. It did not affect Nvidia in any form.

Nvidia deserves nothing.

Priority supply of new tech is not something that anti competitive, many companies do this.  Just like AMD's exclusivity with HBM and Hynix.  AMD helped create something and that gave them by negotiations the right to be the only user.

If GPP partner gets all those extras that were in the program,they needed to do something for nV too, that is in their right to ask for it. 

Worse yet, now that GPP is "dead", nV got there way and they don't need to do anything that was promised before lol.

Great work!  AIB's get screwed even more now.  Now they must negotiate for all those extra's, since now the lines are already made separate.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

No. Just no. If they only want to let partners that give Nvidia different branding the latest architecture avalible, that's within their right as a company. You can't force a company to sell something. 

I think it would be legal (albeit anti-consumer and bad) to force a different branding for NVIDIA products, but taking an existing brand, that brand not being owned my Nvidia, and Nvidia saying they will only participate with you if you give alter that branding for my main competitor is indeed probably illegal (see the lawsuits against microsoft in the early 2000s. Clear precedent exists already.) 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

In the Microsoft case, no. But I've yet to see the US vs. Google on the store thing. But several huge markets putting international companies in their place, is a good thing. For both FTC and EU to come to the same conclusion on something is great. Your initial statement has been debunked though.

It's NOT Nvidia's branding, no matter how many times you state that nonsense. ROG is Asus' branding, and is owned exclusively by Asus, NOT NVidia. Your statement is incorrect and senseless.

on a nvidia product which they can dictate their branding if asus gave up or was bought out thats business

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nvidia deserves nothing.

how is nvidia branding their products like I said above affect amd?

oh wait it affects aibs not amd

now how is marketing a product being anti consumer or anti competitive

fyi separating the branding is better

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nvidia does have that right.

They don't have the right to dictate another company's marketing and branding practices.

They have the right to dictate it when its their GPU's that make those products sell, and if they are giving extra's for that as well.

What is more important to these companies, nV GPU's to make their products sell and get those benefits with separate lines or no seperate lines and don't get those benefits?  As it stands right now, the different lines are there and they need to negotiate all over again for the extra's, and if nV refuses or segments based on how many GPU's they order?  The smaller guys are screwed now.

As I stated when it first came up, either way you look at it the partners get screwed.  So if a partner looses nV sales because of this, they will automatically loose AMD sales too because now their brands are now weaker.

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I think it would be legal (albeit anti-consumer and bad) to force a different branding for NVIDIA products, but taking an existing brand, that brand not being owned my Nvidia, and Nvidia saying they will only participate with you if you give alter that branding for my main competitor is indeed probably illegal (see the lawsuits against microsoft in the early 2000s. Clear precedent exists already.) 

Only Nvidia wasn't forcing anyone to do anything. 

Just now, pas008 said:

on a nvidia product which they can dictate their branding if asus gave up or was bought out thats business

It's not an NVidia product. It's an Asus product with an NVidia chip on it. And Micron GDDR5 memory on it, and a VESA DisplayPort on it, and so on. NVidia has the rights to GeForce and the numbering/Titan/Ti. They have zero rights over a third party's branding, like ROG or Strix. The second part of your sentence doesn't make sense.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, App4that said:

Only Nvidia wasn't forcing anyone to do anything. 

Only they were. It was "you drop AMD from your pre-existing gaming brands" or we cut you out. Literally the entire problem of the program from the start.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Only they were. It was "you drop AMD from your pre-existing gaming brands" or we cut you out. Literally the entire problem of the program from the start.

No it wasn't written that way at all!

Please watch PC gamers interview with Kyle he reads out that part, it is not what it says in his article.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

It's not an NVidia product. It's an Asus product with an NVidia chip on it. And Micron GDDR5 memory on it, and a VESA DisplayPort on it, and so on. NVidia has the rights to GeForce and the numbering/Titan/Ti. They have zero rights over a third party's branding, like ROG or Strix. The second part of your sentence doesn't make sense.

The board is also based on nV's IP ;)

Without nV's IP the board could not be made, without the GPU they definitely don't have anything.

And they never asked for the ROG brand to be their's, they asked for a separate gaming line to be there's.  An exclusive gaming brand.

Just now, pas008 said:

how is nvidia branding their products like I said above affect amd?

1. Marketing and mindshare manipulation through extortion
  2. Nvidia is not branding their products. They're branding third party manufacturers' products
2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

hey have the right to dictate it when its their GPU's that make those products sell

No, they don't.

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

if they are giving extra's for that as well.

They're not giving extras. They're taking away what they're supposed to do, in order to extort companies.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Only they literaly didn't. No one was going to be "cut off"

Just now, Razor01 said:

The board is also based on nV's IP ;)

Only if it was the reference design. Still doesn't make ROG, NVidia's IP.

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

Please watch PC gamers interview with Kyle he reads out that part, it is not what it says in his article.

It did state exclusive usage of their primary gaming branding. And anyone not participating would be prioritized a lot less and have no access to a bunch of necessary things. So not technically locked out, but close enough.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:
  2. Nvidia is not branding their products. They're branding third party manufacturers' products

No, they don't.

They're not giving extras. They're taking away what they're supposed to do, in order to extort companies.

BS they aren't giving extra's automatically.

MDF's and rebates are right now done by negotiations per AIB per event.

Not all AIB's get early new tech either.  That is why you don't see custom boards coming out of nV AIB's for a month or two after.  All of the custom boards for Pascal came out 1 month after the FE addition.  AIB's were pissed about that!

Even game bundling are separate right now.

Just now, Notional said:

Only if it was the reference design. Still doesn't make ROG, NVidia's IP.

It did state exclusive usage of their primary gaming branding. And anyone not participating would be prioritized a lot less and have no access to a bunch of necessary things. So not technically locked out, but close enough.

NO the other boards are too, with out that reference design their is NO way the other boards can be made.  They still have certain limits to their design which is based on the reference boards and specs.

Close enough doesn't work lol, it is or isn't.

And again watch the PCgamer video with Kyle reading out load the contract the part that was pertinent to that, it totally changes the meaning of what was written in the article.

Just now, Razor01 said:

The crux of the issue with NVIDIA GPP comes down to a single requirement in order to be part of GPP. In order to have access to the GPP program, its partners must have its "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce."

NVIDIA will tell you that it is 100% up to its partner company to be part of GPP, and from the documents I have read, if it chooses not to be part of GPP, it will lose the benefits of GPP which include: high-effort engineering engagements -- early tech engagement -- launch partner status -- game bundling -- sales rebate programs -- social media and PR support -- marketing reports -- Marketing Development Funds (MDF). MDF is likely the standout in that list of lost benefits if the company is not a GPP partner.

As you might recall, we have seen onerous terms such as those contained in GPP to have many similarities to Intel's once monopolistic business practices (versus AMD) in withholding MDF to partners. The results of that situation were huge multi-billion dollar fines for Intel. GPP has some striking similarities.

It's almost as if it's already been decidedly determined to be illegal.

See https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2010/08/ftc-settles-charges-anticompetitive-conduct-against-intel

See United States V Microsoft. 2004 EU settlement. 2009 EU settlement.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The crux of the issue with NVIDIA GPP comes down to a single requirement in order to be part of GPP. In order to have access to the GPP program, its partners must have its "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce."

It's almost as if it's already been decidedly determined to be illegal.

See https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2010/08/ftc-settles-charges-anticompetitive-conduct-against-intel

See United States V Microsoft. 2004 EU settlement. 2009 EU settlement.

yeah and now go look at the the pcgamer video, I have linked it and timestamped it in two other threads.

Do NOT compare this with what Intel did, Intel outright bribed and broke most of the anti trust laws.  Its obvious what they did.

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

oh really you have a copy of this contract so I can read

and why werent these companies allowed to make custom titans before nvidia took over the titan cards?

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

No, they don't.

oh so its ok for amd to drop allocation of chips and how a company advertises their product hmmm

21 minutes ago, App4that said:

No. Just no. If they only want to let partners that give Nvidia different branding the latest architecture avalible, that's within their right as a company. You can't force a company to sell something. 

All stores in the world decide not to sell food, clothing or water to App4that. Oh, you mean luxuries? Yeah, either way... be happy with that "can't for a company to sell something" rule in your head. ;)

Just now, Razor01 said:

NO the other boards are too, with out that reference design their is NO way the other boards can be made.  They still have certain limits to their design which is based on the reference boards and specs.

And again watch the PCgamer video with Kyle reading out load the contract the part that was pertinent to that, it totally changes the meaning of what was written in the article.

Except it doesn't whatsoever. I've listened to it. It's patently illegal as stated now given previous precedent, and even if it was legal, it's ludicrously anti-consumer and should be denounced.

And yeah. I'm not going to buy a worse product at massively worse value like AMD's top tier products are right now. I'm not saying people should boycott Nvidia when they straight up have the better Tech and actually have been pushing the industry forward compared to AMD. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Guys, Nvidia didn't do anything illegal, or even morally wrong. They were stupid LOL

they put glutten in it to rile up the liberals

2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

I don't know the specifics of GPU PCB IP and licensing agreements. But you are still missing the point. It's Asus' end product, and even if NVidia owen 100% of the hardware in the box, it still wouldn't make NVidia the owner of Asus' IP or branding.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Guys, Nvidia didn't do anything illegal, or even morally wrong. They were stupid LOL

.. is what your subjective opinion is.

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

yeah and now go look at the the pcgamer video, I have linked it and timestamped it in two other threads.

Do NOT compare this with what Intel did, Intel outright bribed and broke most of the anti trust laws.  Its obvious what they did.

They tied MFD to exclusivity. Almost literally the exact things Nvidia was threatening. Imagine that comparison right?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS