nVidia ends GeForce Partner Program

WMGroomAK

In a blog post today, nVidia has announced that they are ending the GeForce Partners Program (GPP) and 'leaning into GeForce'.  Essentially, nVidia is sticking with what they stated was the original goal of GPP as having been correct, however have recognized all of the 'rumors, conjecture and mistruths' about the program and decided to end it.  I have a feeling that this is their personal PR spin on the controversy and they may have also had some lawyers come back and say they were skirting too close to a grey legal area.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/05/04/gpp/

A lot has been said recently about our GeForce Partner Program. The rumors, conjecture and mistruths go far beyond its intent. Rather than battling misinformation, we have decided to cancel the program.

GPP had a simple goal – ensuring that gamers know what they are buying and can make a clear choice.

NVIDIA creates cutting-edge technologies for gamers. We have dedicated our lives to it. We do our work at a crazy intense level – investing billions to invent the future and ensure that amazing NVIDIA tech keeps coming. We do this work because we know gamers love it and appreciate it. Gamers want the best GPU tech. GPP was about making sure gamers who want NVIDIA tech get NVIDIA tech.

With GPP, we asked our partners to brand their products in a way that would be crystal clear. The choice of GPU greatly defines a gaming platform. So, the GPU brand should be clearly transparent – no substitute GPUs hidden behind a pile of techno-jargon.

Most partners agreed. They own their brands and GPP didn’t change that. They decide how they want to convey their product promise to gamers. Still, today we are pulling the plug on GPP to avoid any distraction from the super exciting work we’re doing to bring amazing advances to PC gaming.

This is a great time to be a GeForce partner and be part of the fastest growing gaming platform in the world. The GeForce gaming platform is rich with the most advanced technology. And with GeForce Experience, it is “the way it’s meant to be played.”

Hot Hardware Article:  https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-ends-geforce-partner-program

I'm guessing that Kyle over at HardOCP will not be on nVidia's Christmas list anytime soon xD...  Now the question will be whether some of the AIB card partners that were beginning to create AMD specific brands pull those back to add AMD cards back into their main gaming brands or whether they are kept separate.

Riiiight. They just got caught trying to jam their hand in the cookie jar, and now they want to try and save face. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Oh shit! We did it bois! 

Related image

PS: This is definitely going to be the biggest news on the WAN show xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Hooray :D.

Unfortunately we all know this is because Nvidia were getting bad press and cos the word was getting out as to exactly what kind of programme Nvidia was really running. The GPU mafia isn't over but now at least it's stoppable.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

GPP had a simple goal – ensuring that gamers know what they are buying and can make a clear choice.

And by this they mean

GPP had a simple goal – ensuring that clueless gamers know that they are buying an nVidia GPU

Unfortunately, they have already done some damage, with some rebrands. Nvidia is still on my naughty list. 

:)

Gonna be interesting to see if Arez will be rolled out or if Asus is gonna silently revert the rebranding.

/tinfoil hat mode on

A part of me suspect this will mean nothing more than GPP is dead on paper but in reality it's still very much alive. I mean they did come to an agreement with the big brands, I have a hard time seeing that these agreements just went out the window..

A lot has been said recently about our GeForce Partner Program. The rumors, conjecture and mistruths go far beyond its intent. Rather than battling misinformation, we have decided to cancel the program.

Some of those rumours must have been true if it was easier to bail out instead of fighting them, NVIDIA.

Pulling GPP won't stop the snowball effect from this debacle anyway.

16 minutes ago, Notional said:

And just after all vendors have either stripped their branding from AMD cards or made new branding outright. The damage is done you anticompetitive twats.

yep, the damage is done in my perspective. Ending it for real was reverting the changes already made.

So what's gonna happen? Are people like MSI and Gigabyte going to re-roll out the branding? Is Asus gonna get rid of Arez?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

giphy.gif

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Let me guess, this is just to cover their ass from lawsuits they know they can't win. And companies who went with the program will still mysteriously not market AMD graphics on their gaming lineup.

They haven't covered their asses from anything, they still rolled the program out, signed up partners and enforced their policies.

Ending something illegal doesn't absolve you from doing the illegal thing.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Gamers want the best GPU tech.

True, however best GPU for gamers, isn't the best you can sell (GTX 1080 Ti < Titan XP).

The way it's meant to be played ?

More like : 
The way You are meant to be played.
(by NV)

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

We will see with time.

I personally feel like they got what they wanted already and the brands will segregate the two companies regardless of contract to get on their good side.

And Honestly, this should've been the way to go with from the get go in my opinion. No company likes to have their products mixed with another companies so instead of blaming nvidea, im blaming the AIB for this,

36 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

We will see with time.

I personally feel like they got what they wanted already and the brands will segregate the two companies regardless of contract to get on their good side.

And Honestly, this should've been the way to go with from the get go in my opinion. No company likes to have their products mixed with another companies so instead of blaming nvidea, im blaming the AIB for this,

So are you going to pay for the marketing required to split cards into separate lines? Think about it, AIBs would have to come up with separate brand names, design box art, advertising, pay for printing etc.

Plus AIBs probably don't want to split lines anyway, customers see ROG they know it's ASUS, Gaming is MSI, AOROS is Gigabyte. When customers go into shops and see new lines they might not associate the brand with the new name.

Brand recognition is everything.

They probably started soiling their trousers as the speculations around the GPP built up, plus the launch of 11xx series cards is closeish, so they stopped it before it got out of hand.

Ryzen 7 3700X | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | Corsair LPX 16gb 3200 | MSI B450M Mortar MAX | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 850 PRO 512GB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Corsair Air 240 Black | Corsair CS650M | Corsair ML120 (3x) | Link

58 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They haven't covered their asses from anything, they still rolled the program out, signed up partners and enforced their policies.

Ending something illegal doesn't absolve you from doing the illegal thing.

However it does mean that GPP will quickly go in the abyss like it never existed for the typical consumer

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

@huilun02 is likely correct in saying that Nvidia is protecting itself from lawsuits. That GPP was already being reported as costing competitors opportunities and sales due to anti-competitive practices is a pretty big indicator.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Blackie Sheen said:

However it does mean that GPP will quickly go in the abyss like it never existed for the typical consumer

Yes your right, it's a win for consumers.

I'm wondering whether AIBs that have invested in splitting lines already might now keep it (at least temporarily) to see if it helps or not.

Like I said above, splitting lines wouldn't have been cheap and it COULD be good as easily as it could be bad. If it was me I'd want to keep it running as a test instead of writing off the entire investment but then, I'm not a corporate shareholder so maybe I'm wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯