New push for 'Right to Repair' bill underway in New York

MEC-777

This topic strikes close to my heart as a hard-core DIY'er. Certain companies (namely, Apple) in the tech industry have been shifting towards and carrying out questionably unethical business practices which has had a significant negative impact on customers and the problem of e-waste. The whole situation with LMG and their Mac Pro that Apple refuses to fix, is just one example.  

Louis Rossmann, a YouTuber who has been quite vocal in calling out and showing the many problems with such products, has put out a video today interviewing a new team who are determined to pass a bill and legislate the 'right to repair'. I don't have a quote for this news piece as the source is a video, but it's pretty clear this is becoming a major problem and more and more customers are starting to become more vocal about how they feel towards such business practices. 

Source: 

Edit* Additional source and home website of this new movement: https://repair.org/

Personally, this is a big issue that needs to be addressed. The "if it's broken, throw it away and buy a new one" mentality needs to die. The design choices (resulting in a product that fails and cannot be fixed) and flat out refusal to fix what should otherwise be fixable by these companies, should be illegal, IMO. And Apple isn't the only company doing this.

@LinusTech @CPotter @nicklmg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just finished watching the video actually.

:/I don't even live in the US, here things are getting pretty tough for companies with some countries pushing legislation forcing manufacturers to allow some specific repairs *cough cough apple slowing down batteries for planned obsolescence cough cough*

20 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Just finished watching the video actually.

:/I don't even live in the US, here things are getting pretty tough for companies with some countries pushing legislation forcing manufacturers to allow some specific repairs *cough cough apple slowing down batteries for planned obsolescence cough cough*

Slowing down batteries? Nope. 

Slowing down the phone because the battery is dying to prevent unexpected shutdown? Yes. 

27 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

What's the use of legislating additional bills when the FTC seems to be taking these violations seriously now ? But I guess overarching practices in manufacturing by companies can't be easily modified by the FTC....

The FTC is only dealing with the warranty void stickers, not the wider issue.

21 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Slowing down batteries? Nope. 

Slowing down the phone because the battery is dying to prevent unexpected shutdown? Yes. 

without telling the customer?

yes 

Brought to you personally by Louis Rossman xD 

I feel bad for this bit of news as the end of GPP is going to take steam away from this :(. This is equally as important dammit! xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

2 hours ago, Silentprototipe said:

Brought to you personally by Louis Rossman xD 

I feel bad for this bit of news as the end of GPP is going to take steam away from this :(. This is equally as important dammit! xD 

Unfortunately, #fnvidia isn't as effective as #fappple.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

The FTC is only dealing with the warranty void stickers, not the wider issue.

True but, at least, it's a good beginning.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 hours ago, Silentprototipe said:

This is equally as important dammit! xD 

Honestly its more important, GPP realistically doesn't matter much in the grand scheme, this has serious legal ramifications some of which are great some less so.

I'm of the opinion that you should no be forced to provide parts but a company should not be allowed to make device inoperable due to them being repaired by a 3rd party, in essence the industry should be more like the auto repair industry (of a few years ago :dry:)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Honestly its more important, GPP realistically doesn't matter much in the grand scheme, this has serious legal ramifications some of which are great some less so.

I'm of the opinion that you should no be forced to provide part but a company should not be allowed to make device inoperable due to them being repaired by a 3rd party, in essence the industry should be more like the auto repair industry (of a few years ago :dry:)

Agreed. User repair/upgradability is much more important than most people realize.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

True but, at least, it's a good beginning.

Absolutely. I just mean it isn't enough on its own, right to repair bills are still worth fighting for.

On 05/05/2018 at 7:11 AM, AresKrieger said:

It's quite difficult to compare and say one issue is more important than the other since they both revolve around consumer choice. GPP raises questions over whether consumers have limited choice in what they can purchase, and the "right to repair" push questions whether consumer choice over what people do with their devices is being restricted.

I do hope this push is successful though and I look forward to it having ramifications worldwide.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

On 5/5/2018 at 3:04 AM, Kumaresh said:

What's the use of legislating additional bills when the FTC seems to be taking these violations seriously now ? But I guess overarching practices in manufacturing by companies can't be easily modified by the FTC....

As far as I am aware, the FTC loses all it's teeth as soon as a company includes such terms in it's service/product sales contract that exclude third party repair etc.  This is where the major issue with the net neutrality repeal  fell in a heap,  because the argument that the FTC can regulate unfair service shaping was flawed in that if as ISP agreement included throttling of specific traffic then that was not considered unfair trade practices. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Minor update on this topic. But honestly, how is this company as popular as it is?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's worth adding this video into the mix...

Basically you've got the FTC, an independent agency saying Apple should be allowing users to repair devices while you've also got immigration and customs, a real government angency and under the orders of Apple, actively ceasing imports of Apple parts to enable repairs outside of AASPs.

You really think the FTC are gonna tell ICE not to cease imports anymore?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

It's worth adding this video into the mix...

Basically you've got the FTC, an independent agency saying Apple should be allowing users to repair devices while you've also got immigration and customs, a real government angency and under the orders of Apple, actively ceasing imports of Apple parts to enable repairs outside of AASPs.

You really think the FTC are gonna tell ICE not to cease imports anymore?

There is a big difference between importing counterfeit goods and right to repair.  What the FTC has said regarding warranty stickers is not at odds with import laws regarding products containing unlicensed IP.

Also What has happened  to Louis?  every video he seems to be getting more and more childish.  I have a very hard time taking anyone who is facetious or mocks people in that exaggerated way seriously.    He never used to do that did he? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There is a big difference between importing counterfeit goods and right to repair.  What the FTC has said regarding warranty stickers is not at odds with import laws regarding products containing unlicensed IP.

Also What has happened  to Louis?  every video he seems to be getting more and more childish.  I have a very hard time taking anyone who is facetious or mocks people in that exaggerated way seriously.    He never used to do that did he? 

I think he's just getting tired of covering Apple and their fuck ups.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I think he's just getting tired of covering Apple and their fuck ups.

Maybe,  I never used to have an issue watching his videos, but of late regardless of the message,  he comes across as self important.  Sometimes he's even blatantly wrong.

How about letting people repair devices by... wait for it... supplying the first-party parts [to the general public]? 

Not every city has an Apple-certified repairer. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

How about letting people repair devices by... wait for it... supplying the first-party parts [to the general public]? 

Not every city has an Apple-certified repairer. 

It's not that hard is it.   Besides making money from selling genuine parts they could also make money from selling licenses to manufacture certain parts too.  I'm afraid Apple has the same 19th century mindset as Bolton/watt and edison.

47 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There's a BIG difference between refurbished and counterfeit, a very big difference. A lot of the time repair shops keep screens with broken glass then ship them off to China to have the glass replaced, these screens are routinely ceased and destroyed which is basically theft. They belong to the repair shop and they can do whatever they want with them, ICE have ZERO reason to be taking them away and yet they do it anyway. Why? Because Apple have deep pockets and friends in very high places.

There's reports of ICE ceasing and destroying GENUINE Apple screens at the borders, not refurbished, not counterfeit, genuine bonified Apple screens and the government ceased them without giving any reason as to why they did it.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There's a BIG difference between refurbished and counterfeit, a very big difference. A lot of the time repair shops keep screens with broken glass then ship them off to China to have the glass replaced, these screens are routinely ceased and destroyed which is basically theft. They belong to the repair shop and they can do whatever they want with them, ICE have ZERO reason to be taking them away and yet they do it anyway. Why? Because Apple have deep pockets and friends in very high places.

There's reports of ICE ceasing and destroying GENUINE Apple screens at the borders, not refurbished, not counterfeit, genuine bonified Apple screens and the government ceased them without giving any reason as to why they did it.

You are still conflating two issues.  If border control is destroying products without due process then that is one issue, recipients of said products not being able to prove they are legitimate products is another issue and neither of these are related to right to repair. 

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You are still conflating two issues.  If border control is destroying products without due process then that is one issue, recipients of said products not being able to prove they are legitimate products is another issue and neither of these are related to right to repair. 

So how exactly are non certified repair centers, or owners, supposed to repair products if Apple are destroying stock as it enters America?

Of course it's related, no replacement parts, no repair for Mr Joe Smith unless he goes to Apple or an AASP.

Right to repair only works if replacement parts are available.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Apple is having old, first-party parts (I believe you two are discussing the screens) destroyed. If a screen's glass is cracked, but otherwise in working order, the repair center is having the glass replaced for repurposing. The glass is inconsequential in its replacement as the digitizer is what holds value. Destroying parts that are first-party is unethical when labeled as 'counterfeit'. You don't have to like Louis Rossman, but first-party parts have to be made available at an affordable cost (sans the Apple tax) so that we can make our systems work for longer leading to less e-waste. A repair shop going to this length is more telling of Apple's repair policy than it is about the repair shop. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So how exactly are non certified repair centers, or owners, supposed to repair products if Apple are destroying stock as it enters America?

Of course it's related, no replacement parts, no repair for Mr Joe Smith unless he goes to Apple or an AASP.

Right to repair only works if replacement parts are available.

You can't undo centuries of precedent in IP/common law on grounds of right to repair.  The issue with not being able to work on your own stuff and not being allowed to import infringing goods are two separate issues.  Just because we feel one should be a right doesn't automatically make the other one an unacceptable condition.   This has to be addressed through consumer law, see my response to ARikozum below.

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Apple is having old, first-party parts (I believe you two are discussing the screens) destroyed. If a screen's glass is cracked, but otherwise in working order, the repair center is having the glass replaced for repurposing. The glass is inconsequential in its replacement as the digitizer is what holds value. Destroying parts that are first-party is unethical when labeled as 'counterfeit'. You don't have to like Louis Rossman, but first-party parts have to be made available at an affordable cost (sans the Apple tax) so that we can make our systems work for longer leading to less e-waste. A repair shop going to this length is more telling of Apple's repair policy than it is about the repair shop. 

I don't disagree.  It absolutely is unethical, which means something needs to be done about that as a matter of justice.   The issue is where right to repair comes in.  There is big legal difference between the rights of consumers to repair and the rights of apple to not sell the parts.   I Personally think apple should be held to the same laws as in Australia:

By Australian law products must:

have spare parts and repair facilities available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise.

That is a matter of consumer law, but it is not precedent nor effectual enough to uproot IP law.   You can force a manufacturer to provide spare parts under consumer law, you cannot force them to permit the manufacture of infringing products.