Windows 10 On a MacBook Pro 2011

Hey guys

I have got my hands onto a macbook pro pre 2011, I have used it now for the last few months as my laptop, however I am starting to get fed up with the limitations to my normal usage so I now want to forgo the Mac OS and put Windows 10 onto my mac.

I have the following operation systems that with working keys, Mac High S, Windows 8 8pro 10, ubuntu 11-18 

I want to put windows 10 pro onto my laptop, I am currently reformating my mac os hdd and then aiming to put my Windows just ontop off that. Is it that simple?

David

11 minutes ago, DocDave said:

I want to put windows 10 pro onto my laptop, I am currently reformating my mac os hdd and then aiming to put my Windows just ontop off that. Is it that simple?

No, you need the bootcamp drivers as Apple doesn't provide Windows drivers through any other channel. You need to boot back into macOS and download the bootcamp drivers to a USB (using bootcamp assistant). After that, you're free to destroy the partitions and install Windows 10 from a DVD (Macs with DVD drives don't support USB booting for Windows).

Without bootcamp, you lose function keys, usually brightness control, and proper support for the touchpad and gestures.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It's a lot easier if you use bootcamp.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, DocDave said:

Ok so if I don't a cd drive? 

All 2011s have CD drives from the factory. If yours doesn't it's not a 2011 or it has a 3rd party caddy.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

All 2011s have CD drives from the factory. If yours doesn't it's not a 2011 or it has a 3rd party caddy.

No I removed it so that I could fit a 500gb SSD.

On 5/3/2018 at 6:01 AM, DocDave said:

Hey guys

I have got my hands onto a macbook pro pre 2011, I have used it now for the last few months as my laptop, however I am starting to get fed up with the limitations to my normal usage so I now want to forgo the Mac OS and put Windows 10 onto my mac.

I have the following operation systems that with working keys, Mac High S, Windows 8 8pro 10, ubuntu 11-18 

David

Apple doesn't support Windows 10 on your MacBook. Your best bet will be running Windows 7 and using the bootcamp drivers as noted in the second link below.

Windows 10 Bootcamp - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

Windows 7 Bootcamp - https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205016

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Could I not just put windows 7 through boot camp and then update it to 10??

I have the same (2011, 13-inch) MacBook Pro and Windows 10 runs great on it. Just download the Boot Camp drivers from Boot Camp Assistant.app by clicking Action > Download Windows Support Software, then format the drive and install Windows 10, then install the Boot Camp drivers and run Windows Update to get the Intel HD Graphics drivers (the Boot Camp ones don't work) and then everything should be great.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2018 at 10:41 AM, Husky said:

I have the same (2011, 13-inch) MacBook Pro and Windows 10 runs great on it. Just download the Boot Camp drivers from Boot Camp Assistant.app by clicking Action > Download Windows Support Software, then format the drive and install Windows 10, then install the Boot Camp drivers and run Windows Update to get the Intel HD Graphics drivers (the Boot Camp ones don't work) and then everything should be great.

I finally got around to installing Windows 10 on my MBP 8,1 (late 2011) using a similar method, but cannot for the life of me get the external monitor support via Thunderbolt Dongle to work. I seem to have the correct driver installed (Intel HD 3000) and not just the generic driver. 

I am also having trouble finding ANYONE else with the problem...

I also have not been able to get the sound to work, but I mostly use a Bluetooth Headset, so I can live without that for now.

17 hours ago, jiserman said:

I finally got around to installing Windows 10 on my MBP 8,1 (late 2011) using a similar method, but cannot for the life of me get the external monitor support via Thunderbolt Dongle to work. I seem to have the correct driver installed (Intel HD 3000) and not just the generic driver. 

I am also having trouble finding ANYONE else with the problem...

I also have not been able to get the sound to work, but I mostly use a Bluetooth Headset, so I can live without that for now.

Did you install the Boot Camp Support Software package? There are a lot of drivers for things like Thunderbolt dongles that need those drivers to be installed, and not just the graphics driver.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM