Looking for serious, competitive Overwatch group / hopefully silver or higher

CyberFern0

So I have been having trouble with Overwatch for a long time. I got the game last July and have been in love with it ever since. I’m under the belief that the competitive mode, which I mainly play, is only for serious players. However, I’ve been dealt the bad hand and get trollers, toxic players, and whatnot, a lot. I’ve never gotten higher than bronze. I realized that if I start playing in a group, I can win more games and myself get better. Hence, here I am. I’m a DPS main. I main mainly Genji and Pharah, but I can play Reaper and Mcree and MAYBE Orisa and Lucio. I’m looking for a DPS/Defense, a tank, 2 supports, and a flex. Thanks.

EDIT: If your willing to be group with me, list your discord. The next time I’ll be able to play is on May 25th, due to strict parental school reasons. I’ll accept the request(s) then. 

Competitive has just become toxic quick play at the mid-levels. I imagine it's just as bad at the lower levels. My recommendation for a Bronze player is is to pick a primary role and focus on only three characters in that role. This gives you some flexibility in the role in case someone chooses your main character but doesn't spread your attention too much. If you want to main DPS, Pharah, Soldier 76, and Reaper make good choices because they each fill a different niche and don't require high mechanical skill at entry (like McCree and Genji) but will show a benefit as your mechanical skill with them improves. In Bronze, team comps don't matter nearly as much as a) being good at what you pick b) grouping, and c) communicating/coordinating. Countering troublesome enemy characters like Bastion (which all three DPS above are decent at) can be useful, but working as a team is more impactful. Then pick one tank and one healer for when you absolutely have to flex. Orisa is a fine choice, but Lucio isn't the best healer for Bronze. To play Lucio effectively you need your team to be coordinated and to stay close enough to you to benefit from your aura, plus you need to know when it's more beneficial to heal or speed. Moira and Mercy are much better options in Bronze through Gold.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, ZenMonkey said:

Competitive has just become toxic quick play at the mid-levels

OBJECTION!

All levels of Competitive is Toxic, It being Silver or Gold or even Platinum to Diamond their is Toxic players among all them which wouldn't aid the team because they don't think they need to. 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

1 hour ago, Alex Colson said:

OBJECTION!

All levels of Competitive is Toxic, It being Silver or Gold or even Platinum to Diamond their is Toxic players among all them which wouldn't aid the team because they don't think they need to. 

ive been top 500 for a while in EU, and there will allways be toxic people regardless of rank. you just get less of them the further you get away from master checkpoint. the closer you are to any rank checkpoint the more toxic people get. 

Edit: that was on console. ive got the pc version now, but ive not bothered getting to a level i can play comp yet. i can join though if you want me to. (skill in pc overwatch is debatable atm as i dont play much)

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

ive been top 500 for a while in EU, and there will allways be toxic people regardless of rank. you just get less of them the further you get away from master checkpoint. the closer you are to any rank checkpoint the more toxic people get. 

Wait Top 500...... bloody hate you mate........ I have sat on the edge of Plat to diamond for the past 3 seasons (Haven't played much in general on those season but still.... Why :( 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Just now, Alex Colson said:

Wait Top 500...... bloody hate you mate........ I have sat on the edge of Plat to diamond for the past 3 seasons (Haven't played much in general on those season but still.... Why :( 

check what i edited. it was on console. Top 500 was at like 3500. i was top 300 ish at 3800 ranking or somthing. didnt last for to long though, stopped playing to much and varied between games. There are plenty of people who deserve to be higher than they really are, but there are those who deserve the opposite

Just now, GoldenLag said:

check what i edited. it was on console. Top 500 was at like 3500. i was top 300 ish at 3800 ranking or somthing. didnt last for to long though, stopped playing to much and varied between games. There are plenty of people who deserve to be higher than they really are, but there are those who deserve the opposite

I'm talkin about console.....

I'm talkin about console.....

oh. i could also say i had a 8 winstreak when winstreaks gave you like 40 points. i only floated there for around a week before droppng to top 400. do believe i ended my season within but im probably misstaken. i had plenty of friends at around 3000 i played with and climbed with. fuckin sucked to not be able to play with them as they were great players and we had a lovely teamflow (most important thing ever as 5 really good people doesnt beat a team with 5 good people and some fluence)

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i could also say i had a 8 winstreak when winstreaks gave you like 40 points

im gonna rub it in by saying i was also single quing that entire time. sorry @Alex Colson

@GoldenLag Noooooooooooooo, Secondly wasn't here for when winstreaks gave you bonus points and also played in quing of 1 or 2's.

Quing with 3 proved to be time consuming and actually harder to build around 

@GoldenLag Noooooooooooooo, Secondly wasn't here for when winstreaks gave you bonus points and also played in quing of 1 or 2's.

Quing with 3 proved to be time consuming and actually harder to build around 

either you do a full team or you do duo or trio. trio worked for me as we  were two flex and one dps. i played early seasons before dropping it as i didnt enjoy it. check Goldenlag for ranking in those season i did play. you can tell i dropped off quite quickly when id didnt bother to invest time in it. i specialized in Tank meta. i played mostly with Flexes. having a team that could play any meta-combo was very helpfull

did you by any chance have the pleasure of meeting aurora the [insert the name of the indian characters name that ive forgotten because im bad at names] main. you allways win with Aurora

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

either you do a full team or you do duo or trio. trio worked for me as we  were two flex and one dps. i played early seasons before dropping it as i didnt enjoy it. check Goldenlag for ranking in those season i did play. you can tell i dropped off quite quickly when id didnt bother to invest time in it. i specialized in Tank meta. i played mostly with Flexes. having a team that could play any meta-combo was very helpfull

did you by any chance have the pleasure of meeting aurora the [insert the name of the indian characters name that ive forgotten because im bad at names] main. you allways win with Aurora

Never met him and feel free to look up my shitty Seasons REG WARGAMER157

On 5/4/2018 at 4:13 AM, dieegoperi said:

If you want to play better, then pick Reinhardt, so you learn how to protect your team mates; pick Ana/Mercy/Lucio/Brigitte... so you learn when your team mates need you

If you plan on playing main dps, you will keep losing, I've played a lot and I'm tired of 4-dps-plus-sniper-team in defense mode, no one picks tank to defend the point, no one picks healer to keep your team mates alive, just looking for the kills and the potg.

I'm a healer main myself, I always pick the best choice because I want to win, that means: if there are 2 tanks, I play Mercy to keep them alive; if there are 3 dps, I play Lucio/Moira to heal them at the same time; if there are 4-5 dps, I pick some shitty character I'm bad with so I learn how to play it

If there are already 2 healers, I pick Mei, Bastion, Reinhardt, Orisa, Pharah, Torbjorn, DVa... whatever the team needs (but not the team mates, they just want assistance to kill even more)

tl;dr -> keep playing mainly dps (as most players do) and you will lose a lot, start playing healer/tank and you'll learn  awesome characters, you'll help your team, you'll win and you'll become a pretty good player; but if your team don't push (lack of dps, hard enemy tanks, awesome enemy healers...) pick something to PUSH

Sincerely, someone who watched dps being shit and spamming X every single second

For me it was the opposite. Was hard stuck silver as tank and then started playing dps and got to good after about a week or so. Then after a month I got to plat. Then after I got a 240hz monitor I shoot up to diamond and then after about a 3 to 4 months made masters. Saying playing dps will result in losses is only true when you can't play dps well. Same is true for tank and healer. I mean there are times when it is necessary to fill but at the end of the day if you can hard carry regardless of your team you will climb. I used to get mad at people who trolled or played badly in my games thinking that was why I wasn't getting out but at the end of the day it was always me who was holding myself back. The better I got the more I could win games even when my team trolls. Maybe not all of them but enough for it to matter. I also started to win basically every game their wasn't people trolling which helped alot with climbing. It's a numbers game and you can only control what you do and not others. Everyone gets trolls on their team so statistically there should be just as many trolls on the enemy team. If you want to climb focus on what you can actually do not on trying to force your team to play well. I mean try and communicate and be positive but if people are trolling just play the best you can with your team regardless. If you tilt you will likely lose. 

On 5/9/2018 at 6:28 AM, GoldenLag said:

Top 500 is at 3500 on console? That's the start of masters for pc. If you made top 500 on console you could still do well on pc with game sense and knowledge alone. You would be surprised to know how much people think pure mechanics is the key to ranking up. I mean it is true that you can rank up with pure mechanics to a pretty high level but after a certain point you can't rank up without gaining down in areas of weakness. For me it was game sense and knowledge that helped me go from diamond to masters and I am still pretty bad in all honesty. There are so many people at really high levels that get their almost purely on their know how rather than mechanics. Those are usually tanks and supports. Those who have high mechanics usually lean toward dos. If you are really good at game sense and knowledge you can rank up as a tank and of you hit diamond you can get to masters quite easily. Mostly because diamond is super saturated with dps players so having someone on the team that knows how to play tank or healer in diamond give that team a huge advantage. I have played in basically all ranks but bronze and gm so I have a pretty good idea of what the norm is at each rank. Anyways I think you should start playing on pc once you have time as it is super fun. 

16 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Top 500 is at 3500 on console? That's the start of masters for pc.

Well that was a while ago. And it was in EU. Top 500 was around 3900-4200 on NA. The EU top 500 was around 3600-3800. These minimum top 500 value increased through the season. 

Idk how much of my play was skill as how much of it was the excelent healing. You know because tank meta back then. I used to do Ana a lot and did quite decent with her. 

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Well that was a while ago. And it was in EU. Top 500 was around 3900-4200 on NA. The EU top 500 was around 3600-3800. These minimum top 500 value increased through the season. 

Idk how much of my play was skill as how much of it was the excelent healing. You know because tank meta back then. I used to do Ana a lot and did quite decent with her. 

Well Ana is getting buffed and dive isn't as popular so maybe you could play her. I mean if you played Ana at top 500 level you would at the very least know positioning and ult management. I started playing more consistently about a year ago so I hardly even remember the tank meta. I was just trying to get out of silver at that point and had just started to play mccree. Anyways if you are a good tank or healer you should be able to climb.

37 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well Ana is getting buffed and dive isn't as popular so maybe you could play her. I mean if you played Ana at top 500 level you would at the very least know positioning and ult management. I started playing more consistently about a year ago so I hardly even remember the tank meta. I was just trying to get out of silver at that point and had just started to play mccree. Anyways if you are a good tank or healer you should be able to climb.

I only "played" her. I was terrible at ulting with her. It was more of a choice i did if it was needed. Ana is nolonger as good as she used to be. During tank meta you could outheal almost anything as long as D.va didnt run out of armor. 

I doubt ill get good on pc. I could probably play okay, but in the time ive gone to lvl 12 i havent found the rythm i had before. I will get myself to lvl 20 so i can comp. 

Im gonna shamelessly shove my discord in here: 

Spoiler

GoldenLag#3210

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I only "played" her. I was terrible at ulting with her. It was more of a choice i did if it was needed. Ana is nolonger as good as she used to be. During tank meta you could outheal almost anything as long as D.va didnt run out of armor. 

I doubt ill get good on pc. I could probably play okay, but in the time ive gone to lvl 12 i havent found the rythm i had before. I will get myself to lvl 20 so i can comp. 

Im gonna shamelessly shove my discord in here: 

Reveal hidden contents

GoldenLag#3210

You need lvl 25 for comp. Anyways what did you play other than ana? Because it's kinda like tank meta right now. It's rein zarya and alot of supports. Although phara is becoming popular trying to counter bagette spagette whatever you want to call that ridiculous hero.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

You need lvl 25 for comp. Anyways what did you play other than ana? Because it's kinda like tank meta right now. It's rein zarya and alot of supports. Although phara is becoming popular trying to counter bagette spagette whatever you want to call that ridiculous hero.

I played the following heroes: D.va, Zarya, lucio, Ana, winston, Tracer, phara Zenyatta, Soldier in that order the first being played the lost (dont mind my time on Mei in non-comp and first season) also played Soldier, Orisa or if there was an extreme need also other heroes. 

It was lvl 25....... Damn thats longer than i wanted it to be. I guess ill grind at some point. Just not fun when alone

29 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Is there anyone who would play in a group with me?

Can play for an hour if thats the case. Right now

1 hour ago, CyberFern0 said:

Is there anyone who would play in a group with me?

Pc?

57 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I played the following heroes: D.va, Zarya, lucio, Ana, winston, Tracer, phara Zenyatta, Soldier in that order the first being played the lost (dont mind my time on Mei in non-comp and first season) also played Soldier, Orisa or if there was an extreme need also other heroes. 

It was lvl 25....... Damn thats longer than i wanted it to be. I guess ill grind at some point. Just not fun when alone

Just play zarya. She is really good right now. I think DVA is situational now but very good when viable. 

20 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Just play zarya. She is really good right now. I think DVA is situational now but very good when viable. 

Ive had a feel for the meta tonight. And yes it seems like a Ana-lucio pluss a self healer or part healer like soldier is a solid build. Just like it was in season 3/4. Still adjusting and finding my rythm by doing random heroes.