The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

Really? You think this would beat the S9? Why? Just curious, I don't think LG will be anywhere near Samsung's level when it comes to the camera.

The camera was one of the things i was saying if LG got right could really make this phone great. I don't think Samsung really made a big leap on the camera with the s9 compared to s8/note 8 so I honestly don't think LG has too far to go: they definitely don't need to get cameras on the level of the P20 Pro or the Pixel 2's day time shooter.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

43 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The camera was one of the things i was saying if LG got right could really make this phone great. I don't think Samsung really made a big leap on the camera with the s9 compared to s8/note 8 so I honestly don't think LG has too far to go: they definitely don't need to get cameras on the level of the P20 Pro or the Pixel 2's day time shooter.

They have a wide-angle secondary camera.

Although the focal length is narrower than the G6, LG is currently still the only manufacturer with flagships that have that feature. I think that alone is a pretty solid differentiator.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

19 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Wait, no OLED screen? That is weird. Also how good is the QDAC compared to V30s?

And this is also weird because LG was apparently supposed to rebrand the G series into something different.

17 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

notch

glass back

small battery

lcd

yeah i'm done with LG

why ppl hate lcd so bad? good lcd  looks fantastic as well. Sony and Apple's lcd looks great. i honestly like my iphone 6 plus screen better than s7's cause the color is much more natural. the only problem is when hiding the notch but are there any other reasons?

Personally this phone looks interesting to me, but the battery life will be the main thing that kills it. The speaker chamber sounds closer to a gimmick to me than anything else, although this is due to the fact I use Headphones almost exclusively. If they could release a version with a larger battery and less speaker, honestly this phone would be nearly ideal for me. Enough to possibly make me switch from iOS to Android. Because this phone seems to get nearly everything right, and the fact you can "hide" (I know its not OLED so you can't truly hide it) the notch in software is great. Just the battery is what kills me on it, especially coming from the iPhone 8 and its massive battery life (If Apple had a 3000 MAh battery in it that would be insane how long the battery would last).

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

19 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Looks like an iPhone X.... Funny how every phone suddenly has a notch now

theres no coming back from this. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

41 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

why ppl hate lcd so bad? good lcd  looks fantastic as well. Sony and Apple's lcd looks great. i honestly like my iphone 6 plus screen better than s7's cause the color is much more natural. the only problem is when hiding the notch but are there any other reasons?

I don't hate it, but there is no reason to choose even a good LCD over a good OLED screen. I'm sure that G7 has the best LCD screen, same how G6 had the best LCD screen of it's time (sounds like it was a century ago). It's weird because V30 had an OLED and now the G7 doesn't have it. I suppose it will stay exclusive to V series. I personally like the black blacks of OLED more than backlit black on LCD.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Heck.... why does the notch look worse than both the iPhone X and Essential phone? At least their notches actually look nice (and as an iPhone X owner I can tell you you get used to the pretty quick). And with the bezel on the top, looks like the notch is unnecessary. If they'd gone for a flat front like an essential phone instead of rounded bezels then they could fit the camera and speaker in the top bezel, negating the need for a pretty ugly notch. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

They have a wide-angle secondary camera.

Although the focal length is narrower than the G6, LG is currently still the only manufacturer with flagships that have that feature. I think that alone is a pretty solid differentiator.

I wish second cameras would stop with zoom lenses and move to wide angle. I dont ever need a slightly zoomed in lens, I need a wider lens.

Only way I can forgive a manufacture for a notch, is if they use extra pixel real estate, instead of eating into the 1080/1440/4k video box when playing full screen content.

Does this phone have the same mistake as the iPhoneX then? [Checks] Aaaaaannnnd NOPE. So it's an actual physical, visible and logical choice in downgrade by the entire industry?

Wow, the Emperor's New Clothes was supposed to be a fairy story...

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

Christ, this myth needs to die. LCD displays don't have more natural colors. Color accuracy is a function of panel quality and calibration.

That same S7 you criticize has a menu setting to change color profiles. Set it to Basic and it will look better than your iPhone.

If you have a wide gamut display and calibrate it for NTSC or DCI-P3 while displaying sRGB content it'll look like shit regardless of what display technology you employ.

Does that mean LCD is bad? No. LCD displays can be very good and does have its advantages but you need local dimming to really get optimal blacks and I don't think that would ever be implemented on a phone. Blacks are why people prefer OLED.

2 hours ago, Devin92 said:

And oled will always look better. Been on it since the Note 2, and it's screen, even at 720p, was much more pleasing to look at than the lcd on my V10. Which made transitioning hard for a while.

Also don't care about true colours, I prefer Samsung's over saturation. Make things pop out more 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If I wanted an iPhone X, I'd get the real thing. Hoping their V series doesn't follow this trend or it's Samsung for my next phone.

9 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If I wanted an iPhone X, I'd get the real thing. Hoping their V series doesn't follow this trend or it's Samsung for my next phone.

after they removed the removable battery because everyone is doing the glass back

and removing the second display

I have no hope for the V line

It will be a G7 with a better DAC, AMP, and camera. Will still be made of glass, still not have a removable battery, will keep the notch and maybe use oled.

Originality is dead.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

23 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

after they removed the removable battery because everyone is doing the glass back

It will be a G7 with a better DAC, AMP, and camera. Will still be made of glass, still not have a removable battery, will keep the notch and maybe use oled.

Originality is dead.

The main problem is that there isn't much more that we can improve upon. We are entering the stage where experimental devices with radically different designs are going to be needed to improve upon this pretty close to perfect formula (design wise).

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

3 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

The main problem is that there isn't much more that we can improve upon. We are entering the stage where experimental devices with radically different designs are going to be needed to improve upon this pretty close to perfect formula (design wise).

shatterable backs the design perfection

throw away phones the perfect formula.

If that's the case i vote for regression 

Design wise, I wouldn't mind slider phones to make a return with smartphone capabilities. A touch keyboard will never replace a physical one and playing roms would feel less janky.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

shatterable backs the design perfection

throw away phones the perfect formula.

If that's the case i vote for regression 

Perfect for the biggest market that is.

I love the Razer Phone's design because its a tank (if you can avoid water) and it has things no one else is doing, but the lack of a dedicated headphone jack is poor design.

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Design wise, I wouldn't mind slider phones to make a return with smartphone capabilities. A touch keyboard will never replace a physical one and playing roms would feel less janky.

I do like physical keyboards, but they add bulk and aren't practical for the mass market. I do like what the Keyone did, small enough to use every day without any issues.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Christ, this myth needs to die. LCD displays don't have more natural colors. Color accuracy is a function of panel quality and calibration.

That same S7 you criticize has a menu setting to change color profiles. Set it to Basic and it will look better than your iPhone.

If you have a wide gamut display and calibrate it for NTSC or DCI-P3 while displaying sRGB content it'll look like shit regardless of what display technology you employ.

Does that mean LCD is bad? No. LCD displays can be very good and does have its advantages but you need local dimming to really get optimal blacks and I don't think that would ever be implemented on a phone. Blacks are why people prefer OLED.

when u put it this way it make sense. so color accuracy is based on how well the manufacturers calibrate them (not the panel itself) and oled has the advantage of getting pure black.

when u put it this way it make sense. so color accuracy is based on how well the manufacturers calibrate them (not the panel itself) and oled has the advantage of getting pure black.

Color accuracy is based both on the panel itself and manufacturer calibration. Most cheap laptops, phones, TVs, etc. will never be as accurate as counterparts made specifically for color accuracy.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The panel itself does matter but the technology used doesn't make it a yes or no question of accurate colors. Since sRGB is still the most common color space you need a panel that can cover that spectrum and then you need to calibrate it so that it displays colors accurately within the spectrum. Can every panel that covers 100% of that spectrum be calibrated to display perfect colors? No but most can probably get close enough and good panels will be able to have only small deviations.

Does sRGB kinda need to go away? Yeah. However it's difficult to get the industry to agree on a standard and for it to produce panels that can display a wider color space and then have it display those colors accurately.

And I think that's where LCDs will start to fall short. You can use various techniques to get wider color gamut on LCDs (like quantom dots for instance) but I don't believe LCD has a future. Its biggest advantage is price. Ultimately I'd consider that the real reason it's still here. It gets the job done, it's relatively cheap and easy to produce, it's thin with a wide range of applications and its power consumption is low.

There's still a lot that can and will be done with LCDs but at a certain point it'll probably be easier to switch to a different technology. I mean it was Panasonic, I think, that fairly recently came up with a way to get near perfect black levels in the lab but I somehow doubt it'll ever be commercialized. The industry seems to be heading towards microLED which could replace both OLED and LCD if it can be mass produced cheaply enough. 

Wish the 6gb RAM variant was available in the US. This is a dope phone for audiophiles.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Originality is dead.

Funnily enough, this phone, in essence, is a slightly taller V30 with a resonance chamber, smaller battery, improved specs (duh) and a et notched display 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

21 hours ago, Mooshi said:

The main argument for a slider smartphone (IMO) is having a 100% screen phone. Just hide the front camera and the speaker under the screen. This would also make answering phone calls and taking selfies a snap. Just slide your phone. So far, only Doogee has implemented this idea with the “Mix” phone.