Overclocking help needed

I have trawled the net for a proper in depth guide on overclocking on the MSI Gaming 5 motherboard to loose ends and no solid guides.

I am looking for someone who is an experienced overclocker who knows the MSI Gaming 5 bios inside out that can offer me and the overclocking world an in depth guide on what is what in the bios and steps on what way to go about using it to overclock an intel chip.

In this case I am looking for someone with the same rig. MSI Gaming 5 motherboard, Intel i5 4690k, cooler master hyper 212 evo. I have clean energy too from a Be Quiet! Dark power Pro 11 650w 80+ platinum psu.

All serious replies and guides appreciated. 

Orion

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5.html

https://ark.intel.com/products/80811/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

five_pictures7_3144_20141106180239.png

IMG_20180429_235110_676.jpg

intel_i5-4690k.gif

its pretty much the exact same thing in the basics on every motherboard, stuff is just in diffrent menues or in diffrent orders generally, i have a lot of experience OCing my I5 4690K and I7 4790K but hey i guess i havent touched the Gaming 5 so im no help 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Haswell gets hot more than other architectures like Skylake because part of the power delivery is inside the CPU (besides the shrunk process node). Good luck going anywhere with that cooler.

Oh, and that's not a very popular motherboard, so you will need a lot of patience till anyone can help you.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its pretty much the exact same thing in the basics on every motherboard, stuff is just in diffrent menues or in diffrent orders generally, i have a lot of experience OCing my I5 4690K and I7 4790K but hey i guess i havent touched the Gaming 5 so im no help 

That is Hilarious Banana split. What I mean is that when watching videos of people overclocking on different bios's is that they are named differently which confuses the process if knowing what is what. 

Hey you can only do what you can do,

If you could help out then I would appreciate it but i can understand your concern having never touched or even so much as took a cheeky peak at he the MSI Gaming 5 xD

6 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Haswell gets hot more than other architectures like Skylake because part of the power delivery is inside the CPU (besides the shrunk process node). Good luck going anywhere with that cooler.

Oh, and that's not a very popular motherboard, so you will need a lot of patience till anyone can help you.

That's interesting, thank you. 

Temps on this 212 are surprising, across open hardware monitor and aida64 extreme overclocked, voltage up to 1.3v and on stress tests ( aida stability and intel burn test ) 60-80 degrees no more. I have a good fan curve set up.

I am looking to get a 240 aio at some point that should help me get more out of it. 

1 hour ago, Orion85 said:

That is Hilarious Banana split. What I mean is that when watching videos of people overclocking on different bios's is that they are named differently which confuses the process if knowing what is what. 

Hey you can only do what you can do,

If you could help out then I would appreciate it but i can understand your concern having never touched or even so much as took a cheeky peak at he the MSI Gaming 5 xD

Linus Devils Canyon OC guide is what got me into tinkering away back in 2015 so if you want to learn how to do it, id probably start there seeing as its on the same platform. Even if the chip is diffrent all the same methods apply. 

I reached 4.7GHz at 1.335V, thats just a multiplier of 47x, 1.335V VCORE and i also ran a 2V VCC-IN which is what the VRM feeds the CPU and a higher voltage can help a bit but dont mess about with it unless you need too. 

I wouldnt expect to reach my 4.7GHz seeing as most chips hit a wall at 4.5GHz from what i know. 

Stresstesting id do with OCCT, IBT or IXT and any games you play. If you do super important things id run the stress test for 15h, if its fine if it crashes every once in a fortnight then just do 5h or something, or like me just put in whatever and run benchmarks and fix it when it crashes lol(4.7GHz did pass the 15h test though)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Linus Devils Canyon OC guide is what got me into tinkering away back in 2015 so if you want to learn how to do it, id probably start there seeing as its on the same platform. Even if the chip is diffrent all the same methods apply. 

I reached 4.7GHz at 1.335V, thats just a multiplier of 47x, 1.335V VCORE and i also ran a 2V VCC-IN which is what the VRM feeds the CPU and a higher voltage can help a bit but dont mess about with it unless you need too. 

I wouldnt expect to reach my 4.7GHz seeing as most chips hit a wall at 4.5GHz from what i know. 

Stresstesting id do with OCCT, IBT or IXT and any games you play. If you do super important things id run the stress test for 15h, if its fine if it crashes every once in a fortnight then just do 5h or something, or like me just put in whatever and run benchmarks and fix it when it crashes lol(4.7GHz did pass the 15h test though)

Lol cool thanks for that Banana fam. Is your oc on an aio though? 

9 hours ago, Orion85 said:

Lol cool thanks for that Banana fam. Is your oc on an aio though? 

Nah that was on a Shadow Rock 2 during the winter, swapped it for an NH-D14 with Fractal Dynamic fans once summer came around to keep temps down

Builds:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Nah that was on a Shadow Rock 2 during the winter, swapped it for an NH-D14 with Fractal Dynamic fans once summer came around to keep temps down

I see. I'm thinking next upgrade I might aswell go for a 240 aio for long term investment and also looks better imo in a system, you can seem more of it too. Noctua is a bad ass cooler though no doubt. 

1 hour ago, Orion85 said:

I see. I'm thinking next upgrade I might aswell go for a 240 aio for long term investment and also looks better imo in a system, you can seem more of it too. Noctua is a bad ass cooler though no doubt. 

An NH-D15 will perform better than a 240mm AIO and outlast it by a huge margin, if you want an AIO i wouldn't go for anything smaller than a 280mm unless your case dosent fit the monster NH-D15 that is. AIOs die in 3-4 years because the liquid gets absorbed into your tubes leading to bubbles that can really hurt performance, on a heatsink with fan combo the shortest lasting part is the fan, and they tend to be good for over 5 years

Builds:

Spoiler