The Greatest Keyboard of All Time.. Reborn

Buy Model M on Amazon: http://geni.us/JUnhksw

Amazing tactile feel. Distinct mechanical acoustics. Unparalleled durability. The IBM Model M is likely the most influential keyboard ever- even if it’s NOT great for gaming. But how does a brand new Unicomp Classic compare?

For people who want the original, look up r/mechmarket and r/mechanicalkeyboards, people sometimes buy them in bulk from (older) companies that are getting rid of them and then resell them. Might be a while before you find them though. And prepare your wallet.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Wow. Linus look hot in that jacket.

#nohomo

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Ah, the model M. Child of Beam Springs, granddaddy to all. Technically "mechanical" but a very different era indeed. 

There were other uses of the Buckling Spring that IBM did. Some folks at IBM (and later Lexmark) cooked up an ergonomic split keyboard, and there's far more generations of the Model M and friends, specifically the IBM Enhanced Keyboard ( https://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Enhanced_Keyboard and friends ( see also https://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Model_M -- a fantastic index)

For those looking for great keyboard info, Deskthority's wiki is fantastic as is the youtuber user chyrosran22, who reviews many, MANY different keyboards, switches, and insanity.

Im just coming here to say I like these kinds of video the most, hands down. A very professional feel, no over the top editing or unnecessary text, the pacing was spot on!

I am one of the mostly silent critics of klickbait, stupid thumbnails and unnecessary jokes and still argue with people about it. But here I want to give credit for a job well done and show that yes there are people that appreciate the more down-to-earth videos hoping that there will be more in the future.

Thanks to Linus and Team, I really enjoyed this video :)

I watched the video expecting to get quality content, and while I got that, I also received some nipple shots:)

Well done!

Ah whats Linus Tech Tips without their classic BAIT TITLE

"the GREATEST keyboard of all time"

xD

I love Linus's jacket in this video. I want to see more of it in future videos.

I'd never used a Model M myself. Pretty much rubber domes and laptop scissors all the way until my G710+.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Ah whats Linus Tech Tips without their classic BAIT TITLE

"the GREATEST keyboard of all time"

xD

Truth be told, I would go back to one :P Sadly they are not universal enough for me.

Over all a very good quality video, tho the first sponsor was weirdly transitioned.

5 hours ago, NMS said:

I watched the video expecting to get quality content, and while I got that, I also received some nipple shots:)

Well done!

MMV8HpL2clxJdm9iLGUffJf5neI=.gif

I've typed on an original model M from the early 90s.  It's kinda meh.  The switch has incredibly long travel so you can't really hammer on it fast and it's so large that it takes up a lot of desk space and moves your mouse way off to the side.  And the sound it makes gets really annoying when you're typing fast.  It's like a ping with an echo from the spring resonating after it breaks.

Cherry MX White is a similar, modern switch.  Heavy, tactile, clicky.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Truth be told, I would go back to one :P Sadly they are not universal enough for me.

Over all a very good quality video, tho the first sponsor was weirdly transitioned.

They have to keep spitting out the videos to make as Kevin O'Leary likes to say MONEEEEEEEEY

I get unicorp wanted to be totally authentic but things like the printing on the keys being blurry because they use 30 year old printer the original one used is a bad idea.

Be sure to pick up IBM P.N. 6110464 to make key cap removal easy if you buy one of these keyboards.

LzPnvxW.jpg

ntXjPQH.jpg

Handy for when you want to throw them all in a nylon net style bag and run them through a dishwasher cycle*.

*I just thought that one up and haven't tested myself.  I've always used isopropyl alcohol and cloth=tedious.