2016 MacBook Pro Keyboards failing 2x more than older models

53 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The switch itself has nothing inherently wrong with it

keychatter_2015-03-09_18-21-58.png.6e8d5c4e536ff1d31011cc10a9d5c26a.png

It's just that in practice dust and particulates can get under the "butterfly" arms of the switch or the dome. Getting under the dome is very hard and most issues come from junk getting under an arm. 

My x key sometimes double taps so there is something under there.

Reveal hidden contents

X key test

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

xx

xx

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

xx

It's still flawed in how it's hard to remove the caps to clean out the dust. 

A key on a keyboard shouldn't fail from a tiny speck of dust. 

My MacBook Pro has seen years of use and constant key presses traveling to different countries and experiencing different conditions and to date, it works fine. The Butterfly keyboard should be redesigned so that it is less likely to fail from a bit of dust and make it so that it is easier to clean out, especially for people like me who are especially picky about how clean their machines should be 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Apple's hardware business should just die, everything but their inhouse socs is trash painted in gold and rainbows. Hackintosh is just superior to whatever new piece of papiermache junk apple releases next, mbp with half-tdp cooling? or maybe a macpro with user accessability of a nuns privates? Thank god you can just pirate their software and use hardware from somebody who does not see their userbase as a cackling horde of fanatics ready to pounce on any new ishit

I have seen multiple of the people I follow on Twitter complaining that the keyboard is bad.

One of them is even going to get 2015 MacBook to replace the laptop just because of it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

The best keyboard i've used from Apple was this guy 

s-l1000.jpg

mighty mouse was/is trash. 

Suck that they went with the butterfly switches on the new keyboards. At least i'm not the kind of guy that cries aver a little weight in his backpack so i basically always carry that, a magic trackpad, my MBP and a noteook stand every time i get sent on a platform.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean every product is a money grab from every company that has ever made a product. That is kinda the job of a corporation. 

Yeah but Apple designed the keyboards to fail to get even more money. Just like the slowed down all the older model iphones to get even more money.

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yeah but Apple designed the keyboards to fail to get even more money. Just like the slowed down all the older model iphones to get even more money.

Apple will offer an extended warranty for these... 3 years from now and it will be eligible for those who have bought their macbook within 3 years from the date of purchase.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Too bad that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that they only slowed down the 6, 6s, and 7 -- nothing before that and none of the plus models. If tricking people to upgrade was the goal then they would have slowed down all devices across the board, not just ones that had shutdown issues. And also not likely, Macs don't make up all that much of Apple's profits and even still, the failure rate isn't that crazy as pointed out by @Enderman.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Mine would of fail day one because of rage. The new MBP keyboard was the first keyboard to actually piss me off. Not one thing about the switches I like. I was forced until I told my boss I cant do it. Luckily let me choose my own. 

i still need to get my screem fixed...

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

macs could be way better. it's kinda sad. because they are nice products... just not good enough.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and it's fine for a lot of tasks... but I will admit it was a gift, I don't think I would have bought one at the time otherwise.... just too overpriced.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@Drak3 @DrMacintosh lets not make this personal. we can disagree with anyone. but keep it respectful. 

i actually quite like the new keyboard. I think that they are fantastic to type on. 

I am owning one 2017 13 inch model right now. The keys do become sticky if the laptop is under heat. 

I am not talking about the room temperature is getting high or something like that, I am talking about when the machine itself is heating up when I am using chrome and watching streams. (chrome LUL) 

Keyboard: 

okay, when it comes to the keyboard, this is all I can say. I did not get anything under it, hopefully will never do so (knock on wood) , the keys feels more fragile compares to my old 2012 non retina macbook pro. and when i was talking to some of the apple staff in apple store, they DID tell me that 2016 model's keyboard are not that great. Some people came in (under warranty) requested replace some of the sticky key, apple did so. Then when the new keyboard is installed, the user only find that there are more sticky keys compares to the old keyboard it has. This is what apple employee told me. But then again, apple will give you a completely new off the shelf macbook pro if your unit has been repaired 3 time because of hardware issue, they will simply take your unit, and give you a new one instead of repairing the old one. 

2017 machine as a whole

When it comes to my own machine, maybe I am being too paranoid because it is just too expensive (especially if you are not from the US). I do feel that it caused me more trouble than my old one. The biggest reason behind it was High Sierra... just a cluster fuck of an OS. Also another thing I dont like about the new macbook pro is that the fan noise is either A) not noticeable at all B) 100% blasting the shit out of you. Other than that, the machine is nearly perfect for what I do. I dont find it underpowered at all. Thanks to the nvme drive apple put in. (is it nvme or??? i dont know dont quote me on this)

Other stuff

Okay, when it comes to planned obsolete, like if a company puts out new product and intentionally makes it easy to break and HOPE customers will break it just so they can fix it, that company is fucking dumb. Think about it. And when it comes to OS updates slows down older machine, of course it will. Just imagine DONT UPDATE YOUR GPU DRIVERS AT ALL, and expect the FPS to be all time high. Use your brain people. OSs are always more optimized for the new hardware, also there is a psychological effect when you update your OS, you will feel your machine becomes laggy in some way. There is a study to it. And I AGREE that apple is making their unit more and more harder to repair, I think that sucks. I think that the reason apple did it was not because they want their machine to fail. Was to LOCK all the profit from selling to repairing to themselves. When it comes to any electronic product, there are different ways of profit from it, one is selling it, one is repairing it. One is upper stream, one is lower stream. If you think that is cooperate greed, yes you bet your ass it is. If you think that not ethical, well, then grow the fuck up.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

i do hope that this kind of small issues will stop popping out when it comes to the next gen macbooks...

come on apple.... get your shit together. 

10 hours ago, Mihle said:

I have seen multiple of the people I follow on Twitter complaining that the keyboard is bad.

One of them is even going to get 2015 MacBook to replace the laptop just because of it.

nothing beats a good old macbook pro that works 100% of time. I can relate to those people. 

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Too bad that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that they only slowed down the 6, 6s, and 7 -- nothing before that and none of the plus models. If tricking people to upgrade was the goal then they would have slowed down all devices across the board, not just ones that had shutdown issues. And also not likely, Macs don't make up all that much of Apple's profits and even still, the failure rate isn't that crazy as pointed out by @Enderman.

5ae8acc0606a8_Image001.jpg.2bf5bb5bba4b11e2e705d35d112d0c65.jpg

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

macs could be way better. it's kinda sad. because they are nice products... just not good enough.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and it's fine for a lot of tasks... but I will admit it was a gift, I don't think I would have bought one at the time otherwise.... just too overpriced.

agreed. good for a 1500$ machine, but not good enough. 

I am surprised that they have a high failure rate, seems that with such low movement of parts. What is specifically failing on them?

As for my opinion, when it comes to the Butterfly Switches, I don't enjoy them. Not enough travel for me.
But that's just me, keep in mind everyone has different preferences. I like relatively fast switches like the Romer-G on my desktops and ones with more travel on my laptops. It's all personal preference.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Making faulty keyboard and other parts, that then fall out of warranty... that might be a great way to charge more without you knowing!

Even after the original purchase! Kudos to who ever had that idea.

1 hour ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Making faulty keyboard and other parts, that then fall out of warranty... that might be a great way to charge more without you knowing!

Gee..... I wonder why the whole industry decided on a three year warranty as being the defacto norm so many years ago....

Could it possibly be that most issues tend to pop up immediately or long after that three year period and companies all want you to pay for the three year warranty knowing that it's basically free money for them?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Kamjam21xx said:

They didn't do this on purpose.

As fun as it is to pretend there's a conspiracy if you have a hate-on for Apple, the truth is that high failure rates are bad for the company.  What good would upselling on AppleCare or charging for repairs do if it leads to more annoyed customers?  Apple's ultimate goal is to get you to keep buying its devices, and that isn't going to happen if you have to keep taking your MacBook Pro back to the shop.