Ubuntu 18.04 LTS: Bionic Beaver

suicidalfranco
1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, Arch just makes it a little simpler to get your environment set up as you want it without having to remove a bunch of stuff. If you're fine with the default desktop experience in something like ubuntu there's little difference other than small advantages and disadvantages.

Of all the various Linux desktop-environments, I actually prefer Cinnamon the most. Alas, it's pretty broken on every distro other than Mint, at least as far as I have tried, so I resort to installing Mate and just trudging along with it. Though, personally, I think Linux makes for a terrible desktop OS in the first place and so I only use it on SBCs, servers and in a VM.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Though, personally, I think Linux makes for a terrible desktop OS in the first place

Why?

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Why?

So many random things are missing or broken, one DE implements this feature, another that feature, way too many features still require dropping to the CLI, essentially making using a GUI in the first place redundant and so on.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Gnome theming is horrendous to be honest, I wish they'd have gone for kde... but alas.

So... Kubuntu?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

So... Kubuntu?

Ubuntu gnome was a thing too for that matter

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Ubuntu gnome was a thing too for that matter

Forgot that was a thing. Probably gonna live on anyway for those who want Gnome without Canonical's add-ons.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Only basic mode Netflix though, if you want the full experience then you must use Windows. It's pretty shitty imo.

My mum pays £20 a month iirc and the only thing she can use it on properly is her laptop, her firestick only does basic mode stuff too. I keep trying to get her to downgrade to the middle tier as IMO she's paying for stuff she rarely (if ever) uses but she's adamant she wants the full package.

Change the user agent string to Edge/Windows?
At worst you could put Windows in a VM, though then you need to deal with Windows again...

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

So many random things are missing or broken, one DE implements this feature, another that feature, way too many features still require dropping to the CLI, essentially making using a GUI in the first place redundant and so on.

Once everything is setup you rarely need to access the terminal, it generally just makes things easier. I think it is a worthwhile trade off to learn some basic terminal commands (you can cheat and press up arrow to find frequently used commands) for the stability that Linux offers as well as the lack of Microsoft spying on you (after the CA + Facebook issue you should worry).

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

way too many features still require dropping to the CLI

Such as? 9_9 Im running ubuntu mate as a daily driver but i only need the cli for advanced stuff only....

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

the stability that Linux offers

Good joke.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Why does the 18.04 LTS server installer require internet access!! Just went to install it and by default our server network does not have internet access, who's stupid idea was it to require internet access. Someone please slap them.

2 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Once everything is setup you rarely need to access the terminal, it generally just makes things easier.

That's never been my experience. That, or maybe the thing is one never end setting it up :P 

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Such as? 9_9 Im running ubuntu mate as a daily driver but i only need the cli for advanced stuff only....

The thing is, the bar for "advanced stuff" is pretty low. Like, managing-directories-and-files low.

I have to agree with @WereCatf here. It's not that learning some command line is bad, it's that my best Linux experience by far has been running Debian bare, no GUI. Set up a server? Sure. Make an internet machine for a casual user? Sure. Build my main desktop around it? I wish... but it's still quite clumsy.

I guess MS is working hard to make Linux the lesser evil anyway, so it may be a matter of time for me to embrace it :P In fact, I sometimes think the level of satisfaction of current Linux desktop users, and the fact that 90%TM of Linux users are the people making Linux and the different distributions, is what prevents it from changing in a direction that would appeal the current non-users.

Anyway, glad to see Unity gone, although after my past experiences with Ubuntu my next run will probably be installing Debian or something like that and then place  hand-picked DE on it if and when deemed worth it.

Each time I try to install Ubuntu, I get an error because of the bootloader. 

I hate programming in windows. 

On 4/30/2018 at 5:27 AM, WereCatf said:

I only care about the newer kernel-version and live-patching anyways.

I'm glad they finally bringing that to Ubuntu.

Now, I hope Mint can setup something similar.

I going to give this new Ubuntu a go on one of my rigs.  The live-patching alone will be worth switching back to since I dislike rebooting my F@H/BOINC rig.  Plus, I been getting a bit spoiled patching Oracle 7 which can do live-patching as well.

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

Gnome theming is horrendous to be honest, I wish they'd have gone for kde... but alas.

If one don't like Gnome, then one can just strip it out and put something else.  That one thing I really like about Linux distros.

I may give KDE Plasma a go on this install.  Mostly I be using Mate, but think I give a different interface a go.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Why does the 18.04 LTS server installer require internet access!! Just went to install it and by default our server network does not have internet access, who's stupid idea was it to require internet access. Someone please slap them.

Indeed, the new Mint installs do the same.

....I had a time trying to figure out why the heck Mint was not installing on my TR setup.  Setup thing required Internet.

If we find said person, lets take turns slapping them.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The thing is, the bar for "advanced stuff" is pretty low. Like, managing-directories-and-files low.

Can you elaborate? 

You don't need the terminal to create folders, copy paste files etc.

7 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The only time i need the terminal for that if i fiddle around with system files... For normal everyday use you do not need it.

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

Can you elaborate? 

You don't need the terminal to create folders, copy paste files etc.

Except you do, well, unless you only want to manipulate files in these two folders some dev thought is all you ever need. As far as I know, there is no "GUI sudo", and I'll get the familiar "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot let you do that" time and again.

I guess that's another way to put it: whether it is windows or linux, I find myself using administrator rights daily, which in linux mostly means command line. I think the only exception is some old laptop I revived with Lubuntu, but that falls under the "internet machine" category (except not really, browsers run like shit on old hardware, but that's not the point :P).

(That's another thing I liked about Debian: disregard every piece of the advice in the internet, allow "su", forget "sudo" :D)

28 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

The only time i need the terminal for that if i fiddle around with system files... For normal everyday use you do not need it.

I guess I kind of replied to both above. Just to emphasize, by "system files" you mean everything outside \home\<user>. Let's say Linux and I disagree on optimal file structure... :P 

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Except you do, well, unless you only want to manipulate files in these two folders some dev thought is all you ever need. As far as I know, there is no "GUI sudo", and I'll get the familiar "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot let you do that" time and again.

I guess that's another way to put it: whether it is windows or linux, I find myself using administrator rights daily, which in linux mostly means command line. I think the only exception is some old laptop I revived with Lubuntu, but that falls under the "internet machine" category (except not really, browsers run like shit on old hardware, but that's not the point :P).

(That's another thing I liked about Debian: disregard every piece of the advice in the internet, allow "su", forget "sudo" :D)

I guess I kind of replied to both above. Just to emphasize, by "system files" you mean everything outside \home\<user>. Let's say Linux and I disagree on optimal file structure... :P 

Because for normal everyday use you shouldnt need to touch anything outside /home? 9_9 If you need to then you are doing something wrong....

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Because for normal everyday use you shouldnt need to touch anything outside /home? 9_9 If you need to then you are doing something wrong....

You see? We are already in the "user must be made to suit the OS" instead of "OS must be made to suit the user" territory... I'm not going to turn this thread into an OS philosophy debate, so I'll just leave it at stating that "should", "need", "normal", "everyday use", and "wrong" are all highly subjective in this context...

13 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Good joke.

I have pulled out the hard drive of a Linux install while updating the distro (like Microsoft's semi annual updates) and it worked after a reboot without an issue. Good luck doing that to Windows.

@SpaceGhostC2C If you are installing programs all the time you will need it but your Average Joe will rarely install new programs (games etc via Steam) and so will rarely need the terminal.

11 hours ago, Ithanul said:

If one don't like Gnome, then one can just strip it out and put something else.  That one thing I really like about Linux distros.

Of course, and it's not like there's a lack of flavors with all sorts of DEs - it's just that the main release of Ubuntu plays a big role in defining what the perceived "default" linux desktop experience is. A lot of new linux users start with vanilla Ubuntu and their first impact will inevitably influence their decision to stick around. Plasma is a lot more flexible without sacrificing any eye candy, I feel it would better express the big leap in user choice you get coming from windows or mac os.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

I have pulled out the hard drive of a Linux install while updating the distro (like Microsoft's semi annual updates) and it worked after a reboot without an issue. Good luck doing that to Windows

Linux consistantly breaks upon every major update for me.

Linux has had a worse tendency to crash on multiple GPU systems for me.

Linux crashes more than Windows on Intel hardware than me.

To be quite frank, Linux is only stable on a small selection of hardware, and is unreliable outside of that hardware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Linux consistantly breaks upon every major update for me.

Linux has had a worse tendency to crash on multiple GPU systems for me.

Linux crashes more than Windows on Intel hardware than me.

To be quite frank, Linux is only stable on a small selection of hardware, and is unreliable outside of that hardware.

Try a rolling release then, I have not had issues with major upgrades but smaller frequent updates may help.

I have not used Linux on a multi GPU system so I cannot comment on that but GPU support is not great under Linux if you are using open source drivers.

If that were true one would expect major outages over multiple platforms as servers fail in droves, a mass migration to Windows Server and hotfixes being sent out hourly. I have observed none of this.

I have used a single installation on 5 different systems spanning from early Core 2 Duos to Haswell i5s without issue, I can run a Puppy Linux install from 2012 on systems from 2001 to 2015 without issues, it would probably run on a Pentium I if the CPU supported the instructions. I have had more issues with a single Win 10 install than all my Linux installs combined.