Lenovo Ideapad U510 rebuild

(If this post is not allowed please give me a chance to copy it or move it to Build Logs, Thank you)

My brother and I traded computers I had a old spare HP and he had an old broken Lenovo Idea pad U510 with a 750gb Samsung HDD, a dual core 4 thread Intel Core i5, 32gb (or 24gb) m.2 ssd, and Intel 4000 Integrated graphics. 

The screen on the laptop was hanging off and the the bezel was broken and the WiFi was not working. I got right to work taring it apart and cleaning out the dust (and somehow chips) I had to be careful not to break the screen even more and I got the screen removed and set on dissembling the screen. After I got the bezel off I found that one of the hinges was snapped in half (explains the screen not opening or closing correctly). And after a little bit more digging I found that the antenna for the WiFi was not working because of the snapped cable. I also broke the fan while taking it apart. I went on everybody's favorite cheap site, EBAAAYY!!. I bought a replacement bezel, hinge, and fan. Stupidly I didn't test the computer before I bought everything so I partially reassembled the laptop (without the heat sink) and powered it on just long enough to post then powered it off. 

Setup:

Name: Ryzentosh

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400mhz

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

I don't know where you could buy the black and grey wifi antennas, but I had the same problem with my old WiFi card in my Lenovo laptop. If you go to FreeGeek (or your cities equivelant) and volunteer I'm sure that they would let you tear apart an old laptop and harvest those cables.

So it did post?

1 minute ago, Ethan_Li said:

I don't know where you could buy the black and grey wifi antennas, but I had the same problem with my old WiFi card in my Lenovo laptop. If you go to FreeGeek (or your cities equivelant) and volunteer I'm sure that they would let you tear apart an old laptop and harvest those cables.

So it did post?

yeah it posted sorry for leaving that out I live in Tucson, Arizona so no free geek so I have resorted to using a external wifi adapter

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

Just now, ForChickenNuggets said:

yeah it posted sorry for leaving that out I live in Tucson, Arizona so no free geek so I have resorted to using a external wifi adapter

That works if you have an extra USB port.

Just now, Ethan_Li said:

That works if you have an extra USB port.

think I might just use some hot glue and a mpcie port :)

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

6 hours ago, ForChickenNuggets said:

think I might just use some hot glue and a mpcie port :)

Oh please god no. Do you still have the wifi card? You could buy those cables and run them in the bezel where they were originally.

If you dont have it, then here ya go. 

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-Network-Bluetooth-7260-HMWWB-R/dp/B00N7474CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525093902&sr=8-1&keywords=mpcie+wifi

https://www.amazon.com/Pair-Laptop-Wireless-Internal-Antenna/dp/B004ZHT2JE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525093902&sr=8-2&keywords=mpcie+wifi

3 hours ago, Ethan_Li said:

right now I am debating between buying a used tp link usb adapter and doing this, think I mite just go for the usb adapter for now because I want this 100% working by the 29th of May

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

On 4/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, ForChickenNuggets said:

right now I am debating between buying a used tp link usb adapter and doing this, think I mite just go for the usb adapter for now because I want this 100% working by the 29th of May

Buying mpcie card will take no time, and it will probs be faster. Also you don't lose a perfectly good USB port.

Just now, Ethan_Li said:

Buying mpcie card will take no time, and it will probs be faster. Also you don't lose a perfectly good USB port.

the mpcie card still works but I don't want to have to re-wire the wifi antenna 

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

5 hours ago, ForChickenNuggets said:

the mpcie card still works but I don't want to have to re-wire the wifi antenna 

Doesnt it just go in the screen bezel? Pretty sure you can just pop it off without any screws.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 7:13 PM, Ethan_Li said:

Doesnt it just go in the screen bezel? Pretty sure you can just pop it off without any screws.

To late I went to a tech store near me and bought a wifi adapter

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

On 5/10/2018 at 10:59 AM, ForChickenNuggets said:

To late I went to a tech store near me and bought a wifi adapter

Ah, ok. If you ever need the extra USB port now you know what to do.

Update: I reassembled it and found a crack in the body. I bought epoxy putty and filled all of the holes and cracks. I will be repainting it soon

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2