LinusTechTips suspended from Twitch [Now unbanned]

Spotty

UPDATE: LinusTech Twitch channel is now back online. Suspension only lasted a period of 24 hours.

LinusTechTips Twitch channel (twitch.tv/linustech) has been temporarily removed from Twitch after the channel received a DMCA (Digital Milennium Copyright Act) violation notice.

The suspension is expected to last for a period of 24 hours, starting 30/4/2018. Currently the LinusTechTips channel is not being displayed to followers in their "followed channel" panel. Attempting to navigate to the page directly presents an error message stating that you are unable to access that content. Features such as previously recorded videos being hosted and displayed on the channel are also currently inaccessible to followers.

"Your account was associated with a Digital Milennium Copyright Act violation. As a result, we have issued you a 24 hour suspension from using all site services."

image.png.a72584faa7fb8689da9d4f96edd59a6c.png

Linus Sebastian has stated that he is unaware as to what content received the DCMA notice and he is unable to investigate while his account is suspended

"Can't know if I should file one [DMCA appeal] if I don't know exactly what they're talking about, can I?"

I can't imagine what it was that LinusTechTips has done to receive the DMCA violation. The LinusTechTips twitch channel solely hosts the weekly WAN show. Their show is original and from what I've seen doesn't contain any copyrighted material that does not belong to LMG.
It seems extremely strange that Twitch would move to ban such a prominent partnered(?) channel without as much as a warning or clear explanation. Hopefully the suspension is only for the 24 hour period and we don't see any disruptions to the weekly WAN show.

The WAN show has been hosted on twitch for a long time, but perhaps after this move by Twitch we could see it being moved to being hosted live directly on Youtube, or perhaps live on Floatplane (when functional enough to allow it) and then later uploaded to youtube as a recording.

Update:
Appears Linus has been able to make contact with some Twitch representatives on the issue. Hopefully this is a step towards the suspension being lifted.

(Thanks to @Skiiwee29 & @VegetableStu)

Update:
The LinusTech Twitch channel is now back online. You can now browse pre-recorded video clips from old WAN show episodes and the channel should now show up in your followed channels list again. The suspension only lasted a period of 24 hours which was expected.
No word yet on the cause for the suspension.

I'll try and update the thread if/when there is some mainstream news articles available on the topic
If you find any news articles you would like me to list in the main post or see any updates from LTT on Twitter (I don't have twitter account so I don't get updates), post them in the thread and tag me with @Spotty and I'll look at adding them in.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Titty streamers --> no ban

LTT --> ban. 

What a time to be alive.

let's be honest, few of us watch the WAN show live on fridays (hell, you think i'll stay awake until 5 am to watch it in europe? i'll watch the saved version on youtube) compared to the end numbers (what, 6-8K live watchers vs 200-300K on youtube after a few days?). They might as well use some other platform to stream and screw twitch. What about floatplane? they did mention they wanted to add the option to make lives there so...

Or just stream on youtube directly.

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner

They run a talk show, it is so obviously fair use of content that this ban is stunning

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Just now, Rune said:

[brought to you by the first WAN Show on Youtube Floatplane Live!]

Fixed it for you :P

Luke: "But we still need more development on Floatplane before we can host the WAN show live there. It's going to take a lot of money to get it functional to support live streaming the WAN show"

Linus:

Spoiler

image.png.2d2f4c7a8439a602cd742f08571e5ec4.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Fixed it for you :P

Luke: "But we still need more development on Floatplane before we can host the WAN show live there. It's going to take a lot of money to get it functional to support live streaming the WAN show"

Linus:

Reveal hidden contents

Then he can do a floatplane live kickstarter and bring the whole thing full circle by doing a kickfarted episode 4 video on youtube.

Just now, Rune said:

Then he can do a floatplane live kickstarter and bring the whole thing full circle by doing a kickfarted episode 4 video on youtube.

I mean, there are many ways to do RTMP. The only thing needed is a stable platform like NGINX + RTMP or Wowza.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Linus:

Reveal hidden contents

you're wrong:

Spoiler

image.png.2d2f4c7a8439a602cd742f08571e5ec4.jpg.eba74c742e621b2a6203d67fb86f0b0f.jpg

fixed.

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

Kickfarted episode 4: A familiar product from the people who brought you Vessel?

24 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Currently the LinusTechTips channel is not being displayed to followers in their "followed channel" panel. Attempting to navigate to the page directly presents an error message stating that you are unable to access that content.

Is there anyone who has followed LinusTech on Twitch able to confirm that they are not showing in the "Followed Channels" list on the left pane as well as being unable to directly navigate to their channel?

Just now, The Viking said:

fixed.

Well, those still don't look like Canadian rupees he's holding...

They already have streaming working (in beta) on floatplane, Bitwit recently did a stream on it.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

what do we name it? Floatplane Live? Dropship? Radiojet?

If their live streaming service is not called, or at least taglined "Floatplane: Now Boarding" I will be immensely disappointed.

Kickfarted episode 4: A familiar product from the people who brought you Vessel?

Is there anyone who has followed LinusTech on Twitch able to confirm that they are not showing in the "Followed Channels" list on the left pane as well as being unable to directly navigate to their channel?

Well, those still don't look like Canadian rupees he's holding...

can confirm. It was also dmca'd without it being live. they also seem to have disabled the account entirely so he can't see or dispute the claim without getting in touch with the legal department.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

and now let's turn it into the inevitable question that plagues and even killed most projects before they could take off:

Well floatplane is the videos, so we need something that's real-time....hmm...

Flitch? jk no lets not

Floatplane Live, I mean, works.

Edit:

They already have streaming working (in beta) on floatplane, Bitwit recently did a stream on it.

I mean they now have the infrastructure for videos. Its a matter of implementing RTMP streams.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

and now let's turn it into the inevitable question that plagues and even killed most projects before they could take off:

live onboard boaty mcboat face 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

2 minutes ago, Coldreactor said:

It's still early days and whether or not Floatplane can support the demand on the system for the WAN show might be another story. It also puts it behind a paywall which will restrict the live viewing numbers significantly. Maybe sometime down the line it will happen, but I think it might still be too early at the moment.

Besides, the WAN show has enough issues getting the audio to work, you don't need to complicate things any further by throwing a new platform in to the mix. :D

It's still early days and whether or not Floatplane can support the demand on the system for the WAN show might be another story. It also puts it behind a paywall which will restrict the live viewing numbers significantly. Maybe sometime down the line it will happen, but I think it might still be too early at the moment.

Besides, the WAN show has enough issues getting the audio to work, you don't need to complicate things any further by throwing a new platform in to the mix. :D

Well, average how many users does the WAN Show rake in? 10k?

I bet @James is cheering. He won't even need to write any notes for this weeks WAN show. May as well take the rest of the week off. :D

2 minutes ago, miguelr said:

Well, average how many users does the WAN Show rake in? 10k?

Much less than that. From what I've seen 2-3k depending on the topics being discussed and whether or not they're on time.

Inb4 Linus blames this weeks WAN show being late on being suspended.

-snip-
Inb4 Linus blames this weeks WAN show being late on being suspended.

I wouldn't be surprised...