Power Limit Throttling 8700k

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

You need to adjust the Long and Short duration power limits in the bios.  The CPU Current Limit can probably be left on the Auto setting but if you need to, you can increase that one as well.  Too high is never a problem.  Too low will cause the full load throttling that you are seeing.  These settings can be found in the OC - CPU Features section of your bios.  

Long Duration Power Limit (W) [Auto]

Sets the long duration TDP power limit for CPU in Turbo Boost mode.

Long Duration Maintained (s) [Auto]
Sets the maintaining time for Long duration power Limit(W).

Short Duration Power Limit (W) [Auto]
Sets the short duration TDP power limit for CPU in Turbo Boost mode.

CPU Current Limit (A) [Auto]
Sets maximum current limit of CPU package in Turbo Boost mode. When the
current is over the specified value, the CPU will automatically reduce the core
frequency for reducing the current.

I'm trying to run my 8700k at 4,7Ghz on all cores with as little vcore as possible. But I never get over 4,4Ghz. Even when running everything stock, turbo speeds don't go over 4.4. It goes to 4,7 for a few seconds after I start an Aida64 test, but back out to 4,4 after that. (Regardless if I run 4,7 turbo or 4,7 on all cores)

Intel extreme tuning utility is telling me it's power limit throttling to keep the CPU at 95W. I can set the limits for long term and short term in that program. And it does work fine.(I even tested 5Ghz at 1.35v for a few hours, which worked great. Temps peaked at the mid-70's but averaged out at 61-63 on all cores)

However, I want to set this in the BIOS, just to make sure it is always on. I've had a couple instances where IETU reset and I had to apply the higher limit again. I cannot for the life of me find where I can do this in my BIOS. Anyone know where it is and what it's called in there?

MSI Z370 Gaming Plus running the latest non-beta BIOS.

Current settings:

Core clock: Either all synced together for 4,7Ghz or '50' for 5Ghz.

AVX: set to 0.

Vcore: I have played around with it, and found a good negative offset for it, but for the sake of this I have it set to Auto right now.

XMP enabled and RAM is set to 2800mhz clock speeds.

I like zip-tying Intel stock coolers on graphics cards.

At stock settings the all-core turbo is 4.3/4.4 GHz, so what you're seeing in AIDA is probably the first few seconds running on one core (hence 4.7 GHz) followed by the load hitting all cores.

Asus boards have a setting called "Long/short duration package power limit", maybe MSI calls it differently? I guess it'd be somewhere in the (CPU) power management section.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

21 hours ago, tikker said:

At stock settings the all-core turbo is 4.3/4.4 GHz, so what you're seeing in AIDA is probably the first few seconds running on one core (hence 4.7 GHz) followed by the load hitting all cores.

Asus boards have a setting called "Long/short duration package power limit", maybe MSI calls it differently? I guess it'd be somewhere in the (CPU) power management section.

I should clarify, I'm syncing all cores to max turbo speed. I forgot what the option is called, but it gets up to 4,7Ghz no problem. This is once I remove the 95W TDP limit in Intel XTU. (And it works at a nice negative vcore offset too, by the way)

I'll check again under CPU power management, thanks!

ur mobo is garbage, so i'd say you're throttling the shitty VRM

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 hours ago, dave_k said:

ur mobo is garbage, so i'd say you're throttling the shitty VRM

No I'm not. If you read what I wrote I've already confirmed it's power limit throttling. I'm trying to figure out where I can fix this in my BIOS instead of using Intel XTU.

My VRM isn't even hot.

Never had an issue, if you're manually overclocking using using the bios of the motherboard, you shouldn't hit a power limit. 

What are your settings in the bios? All of them. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

Never had an issue, if you're manually overclocking using using the bios of the motherboard, you shouldn't hit a power limit. 

What are your settings in the bios? All of them. 

I'll post them up once I get home.

I've tried both setting the clock manually and enabling "Enhanced Turbo" which should give me 4.7 on all cores.

Intel XTU is telling me it throttling due to exceeding 95W TDP long term. When changing that limit through that program, everything works perfectly with great temperatures after Aida64 testing.

I'd uninstall XTU. Might not be the issue, but safer. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'd uninstall XTU. Might not be the issue, but safer. 

I can do that, I only really installed it as I was told it would give me pointers to what caused throttling. Which it has already done.

I'm very new to CPU overclocking and have only changed a few settings. So any input or advice is much appreciated.

I've had issues in the past where XTU would try and override the bios, lost a Z97 board that way. Not sure if XTU is still that heavy handed, but I avoid it anyways. I'd turn any software auto overclocking or performance software off in the bios. Go full manual. Set the LLC (load line calabration) to one under the max (usually 6), the Vcore to 1.35v, and multiplier to all core and the frequency you want to hit. I put the AVX to 3 to help temps. 

If you want to go for 5GHz, use this as a guide. Says for the Hero but pretty standard settings. 

3 hours ago, Parptarf said:

No I'm not. If you read what I wrote I've already confirmed it's power limit throttling. I'm trying to figure out where I can fix this in my BIOS instead of using Intel XTU.

My VRM isn't even hot.

what is setting the power limit

the board or the cpu?

You need to adjust the Long and Short duration power limits in the bios.  The CPU Current Limit can probably be left on the Auto setting but if you need to, you can increase that one as well.  Too high is never a problem.  Too low will cause the full load throttling that you are seeing.  These settings can be found in the OC - CPU Features section of your bios.  

Long Duration Power Limit (W) [Auto]

Sets the long duration TDP power limit for CPU in Turbo Boost mode.

Long Duration Maintained (s) [Auto]
Sets the maintaining time for Long duration power Limit(W).

Short Duration Power Limit (W) [Auto]
Sets the short duration TDP power limit for CPU in Turbo Boost mode.

CPU Current Limit (A) [Auto]
Sets maximum current limit of CPU package in Turbo Boost mode. When the
current is over the specified value, the CPU will automatically reduce the core
frequency for reducing the current.

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Thank you! I'll try this and report back.

12 hours ago, dave_k said:

what is setting the power limit

the board or the cpu?

If I understand this correctly, it's my board limiting the power drain from my CPU to 95W long term.

15 minutes ago, Parptarf said:

If I understand this correctly, it's my board limiting the power drain from my CPU to 95W long term.

because its VRM is too weak, so its preventing overheating by putting a hard limit on the TDP

4 hours ago, Parptarf said:

im sorry to tell, but you bought one of the utter crap z370 motherboards, with only 4powerphases in which each has to share its delivery to two mosfets. Unfortunately its one of those cheapo boards that got released just for the sake of being a pseudo b360/h370 board. You cant expect anything good from buying it combined with a 8700k.

The good part is, if you really want to OC your 8700k reasonable, you can wait for z390 which is just around the corner and get a free new upgradepath included.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

20 hours ago, Parptarf said:

Intel XTU is telling me it throttling due to exceeding 95W TDP long term. When changing that limit through that program, everything works perfectly with great temperatures after Aida64 testing.

Did anyone read this?  The part about "everything works perfectly".  He just needs to increase the long and short term turbo power limits in the bios.  Instead of the default 95 Watts, if he bumps both of these limits up to say 200 Watts, his 8700K will no longer be throttling at full load.  He has already said that he used Intel XTU to adjust these limits and his CPU ran at full speed.  Now he just needs to adjust these in the bios so he can get rid of XTU which is unreliable.

Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach their maximum speed.  When overclocking, many motherboards will adjust these limits higher automatically but on some boards, you have to do this manually in the bios.  

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Did anyone read this?  The part about "everything works perfectly".  He just needs to increase the long and short term turbo power limits in the bios.  Instead of the default 95 Watts, if he bumps both of these limits up to say 200 Watts, his 8700K will no longer be throttling at full load.  He has already said that he used Intel XTU to adjust these limits and his CPU ran at full speed.  Now he just needs to adjust these in the bios so he can get rid of XTU which is unreliable.

Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach their maximum speed.  When overclocking, many motherboards will adjust these limits higher automatically but on some boards, you have to do this manually in the bios.  

Thank you. It seems like people just didn't want to accept the fact that I know what the issue was

I highly doubt the VRM is overheating when my CPU averages out at 61-63C and the VRM itself isn't physically hot when I touch it.

Thank you so much for helping me find the TDP limit, @unclewebb!

Here's what I've tried right now: Enhanced Turbo at Enabled (x47), short term TDP limit 200W, long term TDP limit 150W and Vcore at Adaptive + offset (- 0.155V). Everything else is auto or default.

PV0ABn8.jpg

Runs pretty good, I must say.

• 5 months later...

i know this is old but i thought i should put this in there.  when using intel xtu sometimes the effects of bios settings are not overridden but actually they can stack.  so if you add +10 offset voltage to a cpu in the bios and then enter +20 in xtu they can stack and instead of xtu changing the offset to +20 it can be +30.  im not sure about msi boards but the power limits are in the cpu settings section of asrocks mobos.  just look around for iccmax and pl1 or pl2 or long term power or short term power.  if you find one the others should be close by