30Gb ssd + HDD

montyrule

So i was wondering weather it was worth it to add a 30gb ssd for cashing on my 2tb. First of all i don't know how to do it and if i need to know anything like i have to have a clean HDD to start with. Also what would the performance be like?

Thanks 

Something Awesome!

Don't think it'd be worth it unless you're opening a lot of small files, a lot.

Don't think it'd be worth it unless you're opening a lot of small files, a lot.

oh ok, thanks i will be working with big ish video files alot

Something Awesome!

Yeah, the bare minimum for a system is like 120/128GB SSDs these days.

So i was wondering weather it was worth it to add a 30gb ssd for cashing on my 2tb. First of all i don't know how to do it and if i need to know anything like i have to have a clean HDD to start with. Also what would the performance be like?

Thanks 

I think if you were to really learn about how the process works you could fit the proper amount of files to make it into a boot drive.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This advice is incorrect. Sure, the bare minimum for an OS SSD and a storage drive would sit around 120GB+, but for caching your 2TB HDD, a 30GB SSD would be fine, and you will see some definite improvements as I see major benefits with a 64GB cache SSD - games load super fast and general functionality in windows is snappy and responsive.

I would definitely recommend a cache SSD if you don't want to manage moving things to and from your SSD.

@montyrule

It will help a lot. I have a 60GB cache and it works brilliantly. Origin starts up in about 2 seconds versus about 25 on a HDD. A bit of advice is to put the cache on your computer before installing windows. Messing with the SATA controller mode is pretty much hell. I bricked my system and then had to re-install Windows.

Compatible with Windows 95

This advice is incorrect. Sure, the bare minimum for an OS SSD and a storage drive would sit around 120GB+, but for caching your 2TB HDD, a 30GB SSD would be fine, and you will see some definite improvements as I see major benefits with a 64GB cache SSD - games load super fast and general functionality in windows is snappy and responsive.

I would definitely recommend a cache SSD if you don't want to manage moving things to and from your SSD.

@montyrule

thanks bro really helped!  :D

Something Awesome!

@montyrule

You can quite easily fit windows into a 32GB ssd.

120GB is not the bare minimum. It is plenty for most people when it comes to the os and programs. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean bare minimum, that being ~64GB, but I would suggest a minimum of 120 to actually get some use out of it.

If you fill a 32GB SSD with windows you're going to degrade the SSD performance massively when you instantly run out of room, as they perform at their best when NOT at full capacity or near it.

If I had to choose, I'd put in a 128Gb drive. The performance increase alone would be amazing.  This way you can install a couple of games along with your OS and don't have to bother with HDD.  Pick up a Plextor M5P Xtreme 128Gb. You can get on for about $110. Great deal. Also comes with a 5 year warranty and has amazing performance like the Samsung Pro's

-T