iTunes is now available on the Windows Store

Music  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever used Apple Music before?

Source: The Verge

Apple is finally bringing its iTunes app to Microsoft’s Windows 10 app store today. Microsoft first revealed nearly a year ago that iTunes would be coming to the Microsoft Store by the end of 2017, but that date came and went. Apple’s iTunes app is the same desktop version available online, but it will be updated and available through the Microsoft Store.

5ae2c5889594a_Screenshot(636).png.0d48aa7e3cda285740a20986d35d11b9.png

To those ten people who uses Windows 10S but would want Apple Music because they own an iPhone, rejoice! iTunes for the Windows Store is now available to download for free. It has the same user experience and interface as iTunes from Apple.com but instead of updating itself using Apple Software Update, it will automatically update using the Store app. Unfortunately, iCloud will remain outside of the Windows Store so to those who would want to sync their iCloud contents to their Windows 10S devices, you're out of luck. 

5ae2c58a50f13_Screenshot(638).png.9f5576c5744e4e0696a797dd0b774ac9.png

After launching the app right after installation, iTunes will prompt that it will uninstall old iTunes to be replaced by the new one. Just say yes to the UAC prompt and it will take a few minutes to migrate your sign in info from the old iTunes install to the new one.

5ae2c58bda724_Screenshot(640).png.a755c34fe0044ac9766b09c20dd1da7d.png

No mention just yet if Apple will start selling lossless FLAC files. To audophiles out there, which would sound better? The 320 kbps OGG Vorbis format of Spotify or the 256 kbps AAC that iTunes/Apple Music uses? Would the extra 64 kilobits would actually matter when it comes to audio quality given they're both lossy compression.

When it comes to features, I think Apple Music wins hands down with their Beats1 radio which is way better than Spotify's radio discovery.

beats1.PNG.d01bbb02e14417cddd31d95829191169.PNG

Also, Apple Music will display lyrics of the current song playing. You don't have that with Spotify.

5ae2c58c9e610_Screenshot(641).png.bfcd46b55d14d14730aff97cbff08238.png

Also, Apple Music has music videos. Spotify doesn't have that.

5ae2db6888e51_Screenshot(642).png.9079cabcef64226d8b3c9c3fdd2a7a62.png

But if there's one thing Spotify does better than Apple Music/iTunes is UI navigation. In mobile, Spotify is way easier to use and searching for a song would require less taps and scrolls unlike in Apple Music. While both services are cross platform for PC, Mac, iOS and Android, Spotify wins when it comes to playing nice with other platforms other than Apple. Spotify works not only with an Apple TV but also with a Chromecast, NVIDIA Shield, and even on a PS4. Also, the Android version of Apple Music is rated not so good compared to Spotify. And, Spotify has an ad subsidized option, Apple Music only has three months of free trial.

image.png.0adbda11c11c248868dae62c633ad233.png

image.png.2d9cb00fc695d4381b6a4f31f5c9fc55.png

While Apple Music has an Android app, it will suck to those who has signed up for a subscription but never owned an iOS device. In order to use Apple Music on an Android phone, you should sign up using either a Mac or an iPhone/iPad and that's the time Apple Music will work on Android. But if there are things Apple Music does better than Spotify is that Apple Music has way more songs, they pay higher royalties to record labels (might not be the case now since Taylor Swift is back on Spotify), and works with Siri. 

IMG_2602.jpg.df2d0df9897b0997d72dd65f12d26819.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Excellent news. 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Excellent news. 

Not really. My iPhone is not recognized by the new iTunes from the Windows Store.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:15 PM, captain_to_fire said:

Not really. My iPhone is not recognized by the new iTunes from the Windows Store.

Even in recovery mode?

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Even in recovery mode?

There is recovery mode for the iPhone?

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

why would you use itunes from windows store if you have an iphone. I'm confused??!!

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

why would you use itunes from windows store if you have an iphone. I'm confused??!!

I'm actually confused by your question. 

On 4/27/2018 at 7:20 PM, captain_to_fire said:

There is a recovery mode and DFU mode. Sometimes it can help to connect in Recovery mode if iTunes doesn't pick it up. It can actually be so many things - which is why I hardly use iTunes now (and the MBP doesn't have USB >:( )

Go through this check-list and see if it helps each time.

1) First check if your cable is good and is 1st party + reconnect the other way up 

2) Re-install iTunes

3) Re-install iPhone drivers

4) Connect in Recovery Mode [https://www.imore.com/how-to-iphone-ipad-recovery-mode] (Should be the same if you have a 7/8 - can't help anyone with an X though. 

If all that fails then it is most likely Apple's fault and they gooberd up - get up on some live chat with Apple or if you live in the US then call them. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

There is a recovery mode and DFU mode. Sometimes it can help to connect in Recovery mode if iTunes doesn't pick it up. It can actually be so many things - which is why I hardly use iTunes now (and the MBP doesn't have USB >:( )

The thing is I have never had that kind of problem with iTunes from Apple.com. Looks like I'll be uninstalling the Store version and revert back to the direct download from Apple.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:36 PM, captain_to_fire said:

The thing is I have never had that kind of problem with iTunes from Apple.com. Looks like I'll be uninstalling the Store version and revert back to the direct download from Apple.

iTunes SUCKS when discovering iPhones for the first time. I just use iCloud to backup my phone now - even though I only have ADSL. 

28 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Worked fine here. I normally have immense problems with iTunes, I hate the normal install since it seems to be huge for no reason. 

itunes.png

Edit: Remember guys, this is basically just the "normal" Windows version of iTunes but built with Desktop Bridge so there's no reason it won't perform as well or better than the normal version of iTunes directly from apple. It literally runs the same binaries, but from the WindowsApps folder and with updates handled by the Store.

Edited by Tabs
Included more information

7 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Worked fine here. I normally have immense problems with iTunes, I hate the normal install since it seems to be huge for no reason

Looks like I'm doing something wrong or my computer is messed up. 

So does it run better, or does it also try to functionally take control of your PC like normal iTunes?

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

So does it run better, or does it also try to functionally take control of your PC like normal iTunes?

What do you mean take control of your PC?

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'm actually confused by your question. 

Never mind

Well the simple fact that now it doesn't need the bulky and annoying Apple updater is a big plus for me. It also makes Windows re-installs quicker as you can install multiple apps from the Store at the same time, and it will its thing while you can do other things on the system.

Hmm, planning an iPhone for my next phone update, and got an iPad... tempting.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

48 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Maybe I'm out of it, but why not just download iTunes from um.... The iTunes website? Wouldn't that also includes the iCloud stuff too?

Yes. The Store version of iTunes doesn’t come with iCloud so those ten people using Windows 10S is out of luck. 

23 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Yes. The Store version of iTunes doesn’t come with iCloud so those ten people using Windows 10S is out of luck. 

Maybe it's for Grandpa and Grandma who go to fall websites like itoons.con and hat malicious versions? Not sure the purpose here.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Maybe it's for Grandpa and Grandma who go to fall websites like itoons.con and hat malicious versions? Not sure the purpose here.

Maybe grandma and grandpa all just want to listen to Frank Sinatra, ABBA and Led Zeppelin on demand without buying each track so maybe iTunes on the Windows Store is made for them. ?

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

There's a recovery mode, a DFU (Direct firmware upload) mode, and a normal mode.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, Tabs said:

Worked fine here. I normally have immense problems with iTunes, I hate the normal install since it seems to be huge for no reason. 

-snip-

Edit: Remember guys, this is basically just the "normal" Windows version of iTunes but built with Desktop Bridge so there's no reason it won't perform as well or better than the normal version of iTunes directly from apple. It literally runs the same binaries, but from the WindowsApps folder and with updates handled by the Store.

that's actually really dissapointing. I was hoping they rebuilt it from scratch. it desperately needs a under-the-hood refresh.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

There's a recovery mode, a DFU (Direct firmware upload) mode, and a normal mode.

No need. I reinstalled the direct download executable file from Apple and now my iPhone is recognized