Query about second hand Gigabit Switch

Benjamin_ONeal
Go to solution Solved by Benjamin_ONeal,

I will buy the one you suggested.  Thanks again.

I need a switch as my router overheats with all 4 gigabit slots filled and 3 WIFI devices, I also need more slots for security cameras. 

My first choice was https://www.cnet.com/products/allied-telesis-at-9924t-switch-24-ports-managed-desktop-series/specs/

and my second choice is https://www.cnet.com/products/3com-baseline-switch-2924-sfp-plus-switch-24-ports-managed-desktop-series/specs/

I like the Allied one but i'm not sure if its security protocols or indeed and settings are still good, of course this will sit behind my fire-walled router connecting my win 10, freeNAS and cameras.  I would appreciate any opinions from people who know switches.

Do you know lots about networking?

For what you seem to be doing Id get this.https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YZCQ9YHVGE89X8AS3VSQ

those rack mount mount switches are loud and use a good amount of power aswell.

ok so just the simple switches will handle it better that the router, I should also be able to plus it in and not worry about ip addresses being unmanaged right?

Just now, Benjamin_ONeal said:

ok so just the simple switches will handle it better that the router, I should also be able to plus it in and not worry about ip addresses being unmanaged right?

The router still manages all the ip address, no matter what switch you have. Since you not doing things like vlans, lacp, and other advanced switch stuff, there is no use for such a switch in your use case.

Thank you very much Electronics Wizardy, I actually looked at this first https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RJ45-Network-Gigabit-Switch-Computer-Ethernet-Internet-8-Ports-10-100-1000Mbps/282871331149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

But I suppose the tech bug bit and I went overboard.  You've been a great help.

1 minute ago, Benjamin_ONeal said:

Thank you very much Electronics Wizardy, I actually looked at this first https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RJ45-Network-Gigabit-Switch-Computer-Ethernet-Internet-8-Ports-10-100-1000Mbps/282871331149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

But I suppose the tech bug bit and I went overboard.  You've been a great help.

Id personally spend the extra buck for a name brand box, these cheap ones can be pretty bad.

47 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The router still manages all the ip address, no matter what switch you have. Since you not doing things like vlans, lacp, and other advanced switch stuff, there is no use for such a switch in your use case.

I will add in case anyone ever reads this thread in the future that as a pretty "teched up" household I've never used any of the features that my managed switch offers. Link Aggregation, for example, requires I believe Windows Server to work as well as a managed switch.  I have no need to change the Spanning Tree protocol or create a VLAN etc.

TLDR: just buy a normal unmanaged switch unless you *know* you need a specific feature beyond plug-n-play.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Thank you very very much AnonymousGuy, your correct of course.  I'll be following this advice, i thing I just got bit with the tech bug after buying a server.  I just hate it hot the router drops internet for 2 seconds every 15min or so just because i'm using the 4 gigabit LANS which arn't active all the time. but a simple switch will manage the traffic between my lab and all that will go to the router is internet and plex.  Thanks Again.