• Announcements

• alpenwasser

Please Use CODE Tags   31 Jan 2016

Welcome to the Programming and Software Design Section,

When asking for help with programming issues, please use the code tags to enclose your code, it makes things much more easily readable for the people trying to help you, thus improving your chances of actually getting help.
        To add code tags, click the <> button on the editor toolbar, then enter your code in the code editor that appears. If you are on a mobile device, or prefer to use BBCode, you can use [code] // Your code here // It will be syntax highlighted, though not necessarily corectly. [/code] (but the code editor is more consistent and less buggy).
aSPIRIn4

Java

Posted · Original PosterOP

So...i kinda need to learn Java on my own ( I have average knowledge of c++ ).

What are the best sites to learn from ( like lynda ) ?.

4 minutes ago, aSPIRIn4 said:

So...i kinda need to learn Java on my own ( I have average knowledge of c++ ).

What are the best sites to learn from ( like lynda ) ?.

It is YouTube. Especially if you follow some java game programming tutorials and then try modifying the code in the video to your taste. 

I taught myself c++ in a week and a half that way.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, wasab said:

It is YouTube. Especially if you follow some java game programming tutorials and then try modifying the code in the video to your taste. 

I taught myself c++ in a week and a half that way.

The thing is that... i`m in college and i need to know "things" that the learn in college. Looking at some people modifying the code at a game does`t really teach me the syntax and other things about Java. That`s good only after i know some things about Java and i`t more like 4fun i think. I have to be able to solve problems and things like that.

13 minutes ago, aSPIRIn4 said:

The thing is that... i`m in college and i need to know "things" that the learn in college. Looking at some people modifying the code at a game does`t really teach me the syntax and other things about Java. That`s good only after i know some things about Java and i`t more like 4fun i think. I have to be able to solve problems and things like that.

You don’t need to go to college for that. I can guaranteed you that if you spend 2 hours a day for an entire month hacking away at others code, you will learn more than an entire semester of college intro programming classes. 

Oh did I mention college CS class is not about teaching you how to code? Out of dozens of CS courses offered at my school, only three is about teaching a specific programming language.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Youtube tutorials, there are some apps in the google play for free, but as @wasab said, "hacking" codes will teach you a lot (at least if your modificatins don't work and you search for the solution in stackoverflow)

It's the best way, you could learn how to code some math problems, or how to code some game (tic tac toe) and you will learn the basics

It'll be too easy if you know C++, maybe you get lost with all the imports, public, static, void, private, protected... but you will be fine