lane 2 help

adzygamer15

Hey all, so I've built my new pc but my gpu will be touching my heatsink pipes on the dark rock pro 3 cooler if i have it in lane 1 so i put it in lane 2 and i can't install drivers to it/neither do they show up. does it matter if it's touching the heatsink? how can i get drivers on lane 2, please help

What GPU and motherboard do you have?

Generally best to not have the card touching metal, unless it has a backplate. 

Sounds like you have an ITX mobo. It's not that unthinkable that a very large air cooler would interfere with the PCIe slot somewhat.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What GPU and motherboard do you have?

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Sounds like you have an ITX mobo. It's not that unthinkable that a very large air cooler would interfere with the PCIe slot somewhat.

I have a asus z370-a prime, msi gtx 1060 gaming x so it has a backplate and then a dark rock pro 3 

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

So in other words it will be okay in the first?

3 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

So in other words it will be okay in the first?

As your GPU has a backplate, you don't have to worry about it shorting or anything. As long as it's only touching and not putting a significant amount of pressure on the card, it will be fine. 

The card should work just fine in the second slot though. You may need to reset BIOS settings for it to work properly though. I've come across systems that won't display when a GPU is moved until the CMOS is reset. 

20 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The card should work just fine in the second slot though. You may need to reset BIOS settings for it to work properly though. I've come across systems that won't display when a GPU is moved until the CMOS is reset. 

so what excatly do I do for bios?

EDIT: like i mean how to find CMOS and do that

13 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

so what excatly do I do for bios?

EDIT: like i mean how to find CMOS and do that

Look in your motherboard manual for CMOS clear jumper pins. It will be two small pins on the board that can be bridged with something metal for a few seconds to clear CMOS, which basically just resets the BIOS to default settings. (don't just go bridging random pins though)

That, or you can remove the CMOS battery (the button battery in the motherboard) for a few minutes, then put it back in. 

15 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Look in your motherboard manual for CMOS clear jumper pins. It will be two small pins on the board that can be bridged with something metal for a few seconds to clear CMOS, which basically just resets the BIOS to default settings. (don't just go bridging random pins though)

That, or you can remove the CMOS battery (the button battery in the motherboard) for a few minutes, then put it back in. 

i might just try my gpu in the first slot

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, i had to downgrade to win 8.1 pro for my gpu to work, if anyone has any fixes to this would be appreciated