Strange mesh effect on certain transparent effects.

VWood

I don't know if this the correct section to ask a question about graphics problems.

I have a GTX 1050 TI and have noticed in certain games that transparent effects have a fine grain to them, almost like I can see the screen's pixels.  This only happens on certain things, for example on Doom(2016) I can see it on the holograms and the glory kill indication on enemies, in Shadow Warrior 2 I can see it when I walk through foliage and the leaves become transparent.  Other transparent effects are unaffected, perhaps it only happens with 3D transparent effects and not 2D sprites?

I have noticed that when I start changing graphics option that the effect sometimes decreases, however, I have been unable to pinpoint the cause.  Before I start to really mess around with a bunch of different graphics configurations I would like to know if anyone knows which setting will smooth out these effects?

Thank you.

Does the grain you see look like the pattern that I have attached? In which case it is likely caused by dithering, a technique used to simulate transparency in games that use deferred shading

sqHEB.png

Yeah, I think some optimisation to the Unreal Engine and some others... or the NVidia drivers might be using more dithering than normal to keep FPS high?

1 minute ago, T3500 said:

Does the grain you see look like the pattern that I have attached? In which case it is likely caused by dithering, a technique used to simulate transparency in games that use deferred shading

sqHEB.png

Yes! Dithering, that is the word I was looking for, thank you.  I remember the old games had the 'dither alpha' option which did the same thing.

How do I turn it off? I do not see the option for it.

1 minute ago, VWood said:

Yes! Dithering, that is the word I was looking for, thank you.  I remember the old games had the 'dither alpha' option which did the same thing.

How do I turn it off? I do not see the option for it.

I don't think you can turn it off, it'll be part of how the game is made.

Only yesterday evening was I researching this myself, as I get the same effect seen in the Witcher 2 where sunlight or a shadow falls on another object