Using TV as second monitor

vladNMP
Go to solution Solved by chckovsky,
7 hours ago, vladNMP said:

So based on this video, if you can fix the latency via a game mode or similar, you might be fine with either a standard PS4 running upscaled from 1080p to 2160p, or a PS4 Pro running native 2160p resolution. How well the upscaling works depends on your TV and it may add more latency because your TV has to process the upscaling.

I'd recommend getting a PS4 Pro. Frame drops aren't that bad and the added detail is quite nice for this game.

Hi, i have used my TV, it's a Philips smart 4k 3D 101cm (i believe) from 2014~2015, as second monitor via HDMI for my laptop (6700hq gtx 960m). 

there is a delay compared to the laptop's screen, like under 1 second, but you can see the picture changes are first shown on the laptop. i have used this feature to watch movies from bed, not for gaming so it didnt matter so far.

now, i am looking to buy a ps4 (damn that god of war 4...) and use this tv. my concerns are: 

1. will there also be a delay while connected to the ps4? i mean i know the tv is pretty old, is the TV the matter? i really dont have right now its details, currently not home. if it is, what TV HDMI details to i need for the best experience? i know there are a few standards regarding HDMI connection. 

2. is it just a cable issue with the actual delay? if so, what cable details do i need to look for, for the best ratio between gaming experience and price. 

later on i will decide what kind of ps4 to buy, regarding the TV but that's another topic for another day

thank you so much! have a nice day.

Search up the TV model on the Interweb and look at response time. Above 10ms is fine for movies, but for games you want under 5ms.

hi.

7 minutes ago, vladNMP said:

Hi, i have used my TV, it's a Philips smart 4k 3D 101cm (i believe) from 2014~2015, as second monitor via HDMI for my laptop (6700hq gtx 960m). 

there is a delay compared to the laptop's screen, like under 1 second, but you can see the picture changes are first shown on the laptop. i have used this feature to watch movies from bed, not for gaming so it didnt matter so far.

now, i am looking to buy a ps4 (damn that god of war 4...) and use this tv. my concerns are: 

1. will there also be a delay while connected to the ps4? i mean i know the tv is pretty old, is the TV the matter? i really dont have right now its details, currently not home. if it is, what TV HDMI details to i need for the best experience? i know there are a few standards regarding HDMI connection. 

2. is it just a cable issue with the actual delay? if so, what cable details do i need to look for, for the best ratio between gaming experience and price. 

later on i will decide what kind of ps4 to buy, regarding the TV but that's another topic for another day

thank you so much! have a nice day.

If you directly connect the PS4 to your TV which is less than 5 years old, you should be fine, just use the HDMI cable that comes with the PS4.

CPU Intel Core i5-7500  MoBo MSI B250M PRO RAM 16GB (2x8) Crucial DDR4-2400 GPU MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB OC

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 + GB 2TB Seagate Barracuda Case Sharkoon VS4-S PSU Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 400

Monitor Acer KG271A + AOC G2460VQ6 Keyboard Sharkoon Skiller MECH SGK1 (Kaihl Brown) Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite Headset Corsair VOID Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB

VR Oculus Rift

The delay is likely caused by image processing. Many TVs have a "game mode" that will optimize response time but may sacrifice some quality.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

So, as far as I can tell, the max refresh rate of your TV is 30Hz. This has no negative meaning for a lot of movie content, as most movies are 24Hz or so. If you're used to hitting 60fps constantly when PC gaming, you may have a less pleasant experience gaming on a screen capped at 30Hz.. However, I haven't seen benchmarks for God of War, but the few PS4 games i have seen benchmarked do not reach 60 fps averages and are FAR from. So in that respect, the PS4 may work fine for your TV.

When it comes to the delay you are describing (latency may be a better word for it) you should be able to go into the settings of your TV and set it to Game Mode. TVs can be tricky to set up and often use weird names for settings, but you should be able to find a suitable remedy. If this does little to no good for your current situation, I doubt a PS4 will do any better on the TV.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

7 hours ago, vladNMP said:

So based on this video, if you can fix the latency via a game mode or similar, you might be fine with either a standard PS4 running upscaled from 1080p to 2160p, or a PS4 Pro running native 2160p resolution. How well the upscaling works depends on your TV and it may add more latency because your TV has to process the upscaling.

I'd recommend getting a PS4 Pro. Frame drops aren't that bad and the added detail is quite nice for this game.