Please help identify this DNS server

G9XFTW
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Seems to be owned by D-Vois Broadband, a company in India (presumably an ISP).

My router was using this as the DNS server for a long time. Searching on google is not getting my much relevant results, at least not with 5mins of searching.

DNS 114.79.130.66

I forgot to log the secondary DNS. My bad.

seems to be your ISP's DNS server.

change it to quad9, google dns, or cloudfiare dns

idk

On 4/26/2018 at 5:16 AM, G9XFTW said:

My router was using this as the DNS server for a long time. Searching on google is not getting my much relevant results, at least not with 5mins of searching.

DNS 114.79.130.66

I forgot to log the secondary DNS. My bad.

A POS internet provide trying to make money off your traffic. Geat a 3rd party DNS.

10 hours ago, Marshnt said:

A POS internet provide trying to make money off your traffic. Geat a 3rd party DNS.

Not all internet provider DNS is there to make your money. Its there for better latency.

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not all internet provider DNS is there to make your money. Its there for better latency.

No its not. I work with internet connections all day. I always switch peoples DNS to either google (8.8.8.8) or cloudflare(1.1.1.1). More responsive, more secure.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

3 minutes ago, Jrock said:

No its not. I work with internet connections all day. I always switch peoples DNS to either google (8.8.8.8) or cloudflare(1.1.1.1). More responsive, more secure.

Cool story. Im an engineer for an ISP and manage the DNS server. I cant tell you right now that you will get lower latency with your ISPs DNS....period. You cannot argue against it. As far as security it depends on ISP but I dont give a fuck what sites you go to.

Cool story. Do you know how many issues ive had with ISP DNS's? Far too many. And how many with google? None.

Let's keep the thread on topic.

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

This guy is spamming everyones threads with "I don't give a fuck" and "what potato is that" and "what the fuck you talking about" comments left right and centre. Getting reported. Total moron.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

2 hours ago, Jrock said:

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Cool story. Im an engineer for an ISP and manage the DNS server. I cant tell you right now that you will get lower latency with your ISPs DNS....period. You cannot argue against it. As far as security it depends on ISP but I dont give a fuck what sites you go to.

Hi, I'm not OP. Where I live my ISP DNS's provide pings 2x ~ 4x faster (responsive) than both google & cloud flare. Using either of their services it makes a noticeable delay when loading websites. Which sucks because I don't care for my ISP or their additional services.

I tried once to build my own DNS server. Didn't go or work very well.

41 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Hi, I'm not OP. Where I live my ISP DNS's provide pings 2x ~ 4x faster (responsive) than both google & cloud flare. Using either of their services it makes a noticeable delay when loading websites. Which sucks because I don't care for my ISP or their additional services.

Its faster because its literally 1 hop opposed to multiple hops. Each hop adds a delay. Its why Its literally impossible to have lower latency with google or cloudflare opposed to your ISPs DNS. 

And yeah building your own can be a nightmare without much experience in it. But if you did get it to work, it would be even faster! I manage our server but wouldnt even bother with my own. 

50 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its faster because its literally 1 hop opposed to multiple hops. Each hop adds a delay. Its why Its literally impossible to have lower latency with google or cloudflare opposed to your ISPs DNS. 

And yeah building your own can be a nightmare without much experience in it. But if you did get it to work, it would be even faster! I manage our server but wouldnt even bother with my own. 

If we're talking ping alone, rather than actually responding to DNS requests (because I imagine that's fairly difficult to measure reliably), then both Cloudflare and Google's Public DNS ping faster than my ISP's DNS. 

ISP is consistent at around 13ms-14ms while Cloudflare is about 11ms and Google at 9ms-10ms.

Don't know if it's me misinterpreting something or what, but both are consistently faster than my ISP's DNS servers, even if it is only by a few ms. 

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If we're talking ping alone, rather than actually responding to DNS requests (because I imagine that's fairly difficult to measure reliably), then both Cloudflare and Google's Public DNS ping faster than my ISP's DNS. 

ISP is consistent at around 13ms-14ms while Cloudflare is about 11ms and Google at 9ms-10ms.

Don't know if it's me misinterpreting something or what, but both are consistently faster than my ISP's DNS servers, even if it is only by a few ms. 

In terms of shear ping I've got:

ISP DNS: ~20ms

Google's: ~31ms

CloudFlare's: ~32ms

When actually using either I can feel the slight additional delay it takes to load websites. Sometimes objects inside the page take much longer to load too as they have to make their own query after the page itself loads. So it takes even longer.

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

"Literally impossible"

Me to 64.71.255.198, approx 30ms

me to 1.1.1.1, approx 25ms

me to 8.8.8.8, approx 33ms

Oh and this is on Ethernet.

You can trust me, i manage googles dns servers.

4 hours ago, Jrock said:

9 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You all seem to be mis-understanding how DNS works.

The ~33ms v ~25ms v ~30ms doesn't matter for DNS queries. Your client device (and your local DNS server, and the DNS servers that are then configured as forwarders), all cache this data, 3/4ms doesn't matter for internet latency for a DNS queries. If this was LAN lantency, or for a SMB transfer then you might like to look at it if it's affecting network throughput.

If your talking ~1000+ ms then you're correct. until then just configure a local DNS server (normally done on your router for consumers) and let that handle it.

36 minutes ago, Blake said:

You all seem to be mis-understanding how DNS works.

The ~33ms v ~25ms v ~30ms doesn't matter for DNS queries. Your client device (and your local DNS server, and the DNS servers that are then configured as forwarders), all cache this data, 3/4ms doesn't matter for internet latency for a DNS queries. If this was LAN lantency, or for a SMB transfer then you might like to look at it if it's affecting network throughput.

If your talking ~1000+ ms then you're correct. until then just configure a local DNS server (normally done on your router for consumers) and let that handle it.

I have a local dns server hosted on a server 2012 lmao. Cloud flare, at 3-4ms, is noticeably faster than my isp or even google. Yes i know about DNS. I work with it all day moving domains to new servers etc. No, im not actually lying like the guy above who "Manages an ISP's DNS". I work for a small IT comapny.

21 minutes ago, Jrock said:

I have a local dns server hosted on a server 2012 lmao. Cloud flare, at 3-4ms, is noticeably faster than my isp or even google. Yes i know about DNS. I work with it all day moving domains to new servers etc. No, im not actually lying like the guy above who "Manages an ISP's DNS". I work for a small IT comapny.

Then you know how irrelevant this internet argument really is.

11 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

in terms of raw ping, you're generally correct(though not always 100%). the isp will have a closer, and thus faster connection. however, the main difference is in caching. google/cloudflare/quad9/etc, all cache significantly more sites than the isp does. which results in faster load times to the actual content, even if it means 5ms extra ping(which is basically negligible anyways).

and fuck building your own.. waay too much effort.

6 hours ago, Jrock said:

"Literally impossible"

Me to 64.71.255.198, approx 30ms

me to 1.1.1.1, approx 25ms

me to 8.8.8.8, approx 33ms

Oh and this is on Ethernet.

you're an idiot.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

16 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

in terms of raw ping, you're generally correct(though not always 100%). the isp will have a closer, and thus faster connection. however, the main difference is in caching. google/cloudflare/quad9/etc, all cache significantly more sites than the isp does. which results in faster load times to the actual content, even if it means 5ms extra ping(which is basically negligible anyways).

>when your isp is basically a monopoly of half of a country's internet access

5aebe151bf068_Screenshot(1).png.22bf84a8c9791540fd2cc9cb61228f94.png

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

23 minutes ago, JDE said:

>when your isp is basically a monopoly of half of a country's internet access

lol yeah.. im not sure about canada(honestly probably similar as the state), but in the states, everybody has so many dns servers all over the place, that MOST mainstream dns providers are going to be about the same distance, so latency wont be any kind of issue. pick whoever has the best features, whether its security, malware blocking, or caching.

but in other countries (especially in asia, southern america, etc), its suggested to stick with your isp's dns, since its always going to be faster since there arent as many alternatives with nearby servers

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

lol yeah.. im not sure about canada(honestly probably similar as the state), but in the states, everybody has so many dns servers all over the place, that MOST mainstream dns providers are going to be about the same distance, so latency wont be any kind of issue. pick whoever has the best features, whether its security, malware blocking, or caching.

but in other countries (especially in asia, southern america, etc), its suggested to stick with your isp's dns, since its always going to be faster since there arent as many alternatives with nearby servers

Apparently Canada isn't important so Google has no DNS here. ISP gets longer ping time and feels significantly faster.

1.1.1.1 makes my connection feel real slow on a 175/20 connection lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

23 minutes ago, JDE said:

Apparently Canada isn't important so Google has no DNS here. ISP gets longer ping time and feels significantly faster.

1.1.1.1 makes my connection feel real slow on a 175/20 connection lol

lol that sucks. i'd definately suggest running a benchmark if you havent already. it will actually scan for the top50 servers closest to you, and compare the speeds of them. its kinda cool actually.

in my case,  cloudflare was a little faster than my isp(cached results only) so i switched my upstream dns over to them. they were a bit faster than cloud9 and google as well.  isp still had the fastest for uncached searches, but most everything im doing should be cached anyways. and once i get my squid proxy up it wont even matter lol

|Specs in profile|

So much shitpost for simple solution

DNS will not make your downloads goes faster, but yes maybe it will make browsing experience goes faster since it resolve name server faster due to more people using it so it will stored in their dns server cache.

To test DNS server is NOT TO PING IT, it shows nothing except the latency from your node to their node

TRACE IT (open Command prompt, Type TRACERT 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 or whatver dns server you want to test)

CropImage.png.4ee84a64060496c7530c53b5b9ba7906.png

9 hours ago, Jrock said:

No, im not actually lying like the guy above who "Manages an ISP's DNS". I work for a small IT comapny.

How about check my plenty of other post here in networking. Im a network engineer for an ISP that admins DSL, Fiber, DNS/DHCP. So no im not fucking lying. 

Second is if you are getting high latency (even though ping means shit with DNS) then you are obviously not on your ISP's DNS. ISP's DNS server is 2 hops away, should be single digits. 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:47 PM, Blebekblebek said:

CropImage.png.4ee84a64060496c7530c53b5b9ba7906.png

using a class C private network, such a noob. /s