AMDs Q1/2018 financial results.

Lawliet93
2 hours ago, Eibe said:

All semi-conductor companies are falling right now... I have not researched what are the reasons, but it is an industry-wide trend, not AMD's.

Trump.

Spoiler

i'm not joking, it's due to the trade war stuff.

16 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Thing about AMD shares is they don't offer dividends to share holders. That's why I won't buy many of them.

can't offer a dividend if you don't make money though.

besides, you buying 5 shares won't impact the price. Gotta buy thousands of shares to even make a small impact.

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Thing about AMD shares is they don't offer dividends to share holders. That's why I won't buy many of them.

Dividends are only attractive from companies that are unable/unwilling to directly re-invest the portion of the earnings allocated to dividends in an effective manner - that is to say, only attractive if you believe you (the individual shareholder) will get more value out of re-investing that money elsewhere vs. the company growing its business with that same money.

A company paying out a significant portion of their earnings as dividends in an industry where the business must constantly invest in itself to keep up with competition is not necessarily a good thing - and in the case of AMD, it would be an extremely poor and short-sighted decision to pay out dividends with its (comparatively) meagre cash-flow and its need to innovate against its competitors (aka: R&D costs a fortune).

10 hours ago, Eibe said:

All semi-conductor companies are falling right now... I have not researched what are the reasons, but it is an industry-wide trend, not AMD's.

Off the cuff from the consumer POV I'd simply chalk it up to NAND "es muy caro".  Like not buying anything at all sort of expensive, and has been so for ages.  Rams out lunch, gpu silicon is pie in the sky, SSDs are a bit dear and generally too small a volume for the amount of DATA people would find easier to deal with.

Outside of industry(including mining), why would anyone willingly jump into this personal financial shitshow?

Also, we've seen word that many mining operations have retracted orders for GPUs across the board because of the state crypto.

I'm sure there's more to it, but I'd say thems the broad strokes.