Ryzen 5 2400G RAM compatability

Go to solution Solved by minibois,

The RAM manufacturer makes RAM and depending on how well it went (because it's not a 100% same manufacturing results) they will test the RAM and see at what speeds it runs stable. This is why we have similar 3000Mhz, 3200Mhz, 3600Mhz, etc., it's just that some sets have an easier time running at higher speeds. 

So it will be worth it to get higher speed memory, because you can't guarantee lower speed RAM will also run at that higher speed.

The CPU indeed supports up to 2667Mhz memory (and the other Ryzen 2nd gen up to 2933Mhz) so anything above that will be an overclock provided by the motherboard. This is why they mention "O.C." at those higher RAM speeds.

So no, don't get lower speed memory. You will PC will post for sure, you just have to manually press the X-AMP button which will make the memory run at the higher speeds.

Also, may I ask why you are getting such a motherboard for such a CPU? Seems like sort of a mismatch.

TL;DR: get the faster memory, the CPU will benefit from it. The CPU support up to a certain speed of memory, anything beyond that is an overclock by the motherboard.

Also, welcome here :) Be sure to click the 'quote button' (one of the buttons on the bottom of my post) if you have any questions or if anything was unclear.

I'm Starting a New build featureing the new Ryzen 5 2400 G with Radeon Vega Graphics using the ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F MOBO, However I'm a little concerned with what RAM to get, I have checked on the ASUS website's QVL list for the product and it's usage with this CPU and am planning to use the G.Skill Trident Z model with it, But I'm not sure which RAM to purchase. The QVL list states that pretty much all the TridentZs are compatible with this setup up to 3200 MHz however on Newegg where I'm buying the MOBO the 2933 and 3200 MHz speeds are tagged with (O.C). I've never Overclocked RAM before and I'm confused on the usage of those speeds. Since the MOBO is Compatible can I just buy the 3200 MHz DIMMs or is it necessary for posting and functionality to by at most the 2666 MHz sticks and over clock them? I'm really just unsure of which would work best, can someone help me out?

attached is my - tentative - build I'm looking at. 

wishlist 4-26-18.pdf

[EDIT] on AMD's Website they also list the max compatible RAM speed to be 2667 MHz

8 minutes ago, Gommorah said:

You appear to be spending more on your motherboard than your CPU...

Get an ASrock Pro 4 board they're fine and cheap

RAM compatibility is highly improved, you can run at speeds higher than AMD's rating. but anything over 3000-3200mhz is usually way overpriced.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The RAM manufacturer makes RAM and depending on how well it went (because it's not a 100% same manufacturing results) they will test the RAM and see at what speeds it runs stable. This is why we have similar 3000Mhz, 3200Mhz, 3600Mhz, etc., it's just that some sets have an easier time running at higher speeds. 

So it will be worth it to get higher speed memory, because you can't guarantee lower speed RAM will also run at that higher speed.

The CPU indeed supports up to 2667Mhz memory (and the other Ryzen 2nd gen up to 2933Mhz) so anything above that will be an overclock provided by the motherboard. This is why they mention "O.C." at those higher RAM speeds.

So no, don't get lower speed memory. You will PC will post for sure, you just have to manually press the X-AMP button which will make the memory run at the higher speeds.

Also, may I ask why you are getting such a motherboard for such a CPU? Seems like sort of a mismatch.

TL;DR: get the faster memory, the CPU will benefit from it. The CPU support up to a certain speed of memory, anything beyond that is an overclock by the motherboard.

Also, welcome here :) Be sure to click the 'quote button' (one of the buttons on the bottom of my post) if you have any questions or if anything was unclear.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Thank you so much, that certainly cleared it up for me!

As for the MOBO choice I was originally going to go with the X370-F model instead, however a large reason for me getting this new one was support the new gen of processors without needing to get a boot-kit from AMD to upgrade the BIOS so it will post, AND a lot of this build is for future upgrade-ability, probably upping to a Ryzen 7 (likely 2nd gen or more updated) with a dedicated graphics card, but I have always been a die-hard APU and ASUS fan as well so I knew what to rely on for where I wanted a baseline for my build to be.

23 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You appear to be spending more on your motherboard than your CPU...

Get an ASrock Pro 4 board they're fine and cheap

RAM compatibility is highly improved, you can run at speeds higher than AMD's rating. but anything over 3000-3200mhz is usually way overpriced.

yeah I did notice that and unti just recently the RAM was actually the most expensive component as well, but I'm looking to keep this MOBO for a while and for upgrading.

4 minutes ago, Gommorah said:

yeah I did notice that and unti just recently the RAM was actually the most expensive component as well, but I'm looking to keep this MOBO for a while and for upgrading.

You could save like $60-70 and still have a perfectly fine motherboard from Gigabyte/ASrock if you want an X470 board

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145060&cm_re=Gigabyte_Ultra_X470-_-13-145-060-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157833&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-N82E16813157833&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8YXXBRDXARIsAMzsQuWQtu4deVk2goa3jyeE86Wuq-Z8bi_bsYpcmHvLGIUsLQToj3fcMiAaAhI6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?