SC on a Surface Book 2 15"

elfensky

TLDR:

Universe is ~15-25fps at 720p & very stuttery with dips to 5 at times.

Arena is ~80-100fps at 720p & buttery smooth (so far, I will do more testing with Vanduul Swarm and other people)

It's peculiar. I had an XMG C504 previously, with an i7-4710HQ & GTX870m, and my performance was being throttled by the GPU (at 100%) with my CPU nowhere near taxed. Now it's seemingly the opposite, with my GPU being barely taxed at 20-30%, but my CPU being at 90-100% all the time.

I'm just wondering what the hell SC is doing that's so CPU-heavy in the universe. Detail-rendering and physics should be handled by the GPU, so the hell.

Taskmgr_2018-04-26_08-53-52.png.ca694a14e29d1eeae796c25c1fc49e5e.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

It's not you it's the server, it's tracking 50 players plus all there items indiscriminately updating positions of everything whether it needs to or not, quiet servers with 5ish players are nice and smooth at 80fps, plus your running it on ssd right? 

The games also very cpu intensive anyway, it's constantly streaming things into the memory so I'm told. 

Wow I'm amazed Windows tells you what GPU model you have. I literally cannot find any info on what GPU is in my OG surface book.

52 minutes ago, DtrollMC said:

Wow I'm amazed Windows tells you what GPU model you have. I literally cannot find any info on what GPU is in my OG surface book.

I even have a (decently) recent custom Nvidia Control Panel and driver (388).

What does your task manager say then? Just nothing at all, and it switches quietly by itself? What about applications such as Speccy?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

20 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I even have a (decently) recent custom Nvidia Control Panel and driver (388).

What does your task manager say then? Just nothing at all, and it switches quietly by itself? What about applications such as Speccy?

It just says NVidia Geforce GPU. Even GPU-z just says "NVIDIA Geforce GPU". I've had a lot of issues with the dGPU in this laptop, it only seems to work half the time.

I'm atleast glad it seems they've fixed that in the next version.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 1:41 PM, rentaspoon said:

It's not you it's the server, it's tracking 50 players plus all there items indiscriminately updating positions of everything whether it needs to or not, quiet servers with 5ish players are nice and smooth at 80fps, plus your running it on ssd right? 

When will this be fixed as per the roadmap?

If all goes well, when network culling is put in which is still being worked on, Should be implemented in 3.2 but I suggest trying 3.1.4 as it does seem a lot smoother