OLD hdd Booting Problem

bubuie

Hey guys, I have found extra 250 GB HDD laying around , so i thought i would connect it to my M/B 

As i recall it may or may have not OS on it.

Tried to Boot up PC when my SSD is plugged in that has Current OS on it , but it won't boot after the Logo Screen .

Tried to boot the windows install window to Format the OLD HDD, but it won't let me , i get blue screen after loading windows install , can't even get on the first screen where you choose language etc.

tried disable boot from BIOS and made 1st boot my SSD, still same.

The thing is when i start the windows and both old HDD and SSD are plugged in, it stucks after the logo screen ( asus logo ) , but if i unplug old HDD , it will start asap

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably a bad hdd, that can happen as its trying to get data and the bad drive just can't give it.

It worked so time.ago like 2 weeks ago, even loaded anothwr OS , but.changed it to current one

Is it a SATA drive? If so, just boot from your SSD all the way into Windows (to your desktop) and then connect the SATA data cable for your HDD. Then see if it has a partition in This PC, and if not, go to Disk Management and check if it has a drive letter. You can use CrystalDiskInfo to check it's health. 

27 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Is it a SATA drive? If so, just boot from your SSD all the way into Windows (to your desktop) and then connect the SATA data cable for your HDD. Then see if it has a partition in This PC, and if not, go to Disk Management and check if it has a drive letter. You can use CrystalDiskInfo to check it's health. 

is there way to format the disk , without booting into windows? 

3 minutes ago, bubuie said:

is there way to format the disk , without booting into windows? 

If you use a live CD/USB perhaps, but it's much easier to do it from within Windows. 

Invest in a USB SATA cable/caddy.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...