Sharing Windows 10 WiFi to Ubuntu through ethernet

meenmeen1103

Had this feature working previously with win10->win10 systems, but setting up client Ubuntu PC now. The host PC WiFi is still shared, and I've manually added an ethernet connection on the Ubuntu system matching the IPv4 address (only changing the last number of the set of four) and matching the subnet mask, but Ubuntu system shows connected but not online. Leaving client on auto just loops the connection status, and Link-Local only provides file sharing not internet connection. Pls help?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

When you enter the IP settings manually and it says 'connected, but not online', did you also specify which DNS servers to use?

If not try the subject of Linus' most recent video 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

21 minutes ago, Granular said:

When you enter the IP settings manually and it says 'connected, but not online', did you also specify which DNS servers to use?

If not try the subject of Linus' most recent video 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

I only specified the IP and mask addresses, as the tutorials/guides I had read only made reference to those two. Even the gateway was left blank

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I only specified the IP and mask addresses, as the tutorials/guides I had read only made reference to those two. Even the gateway was left blank

Well, yeah, you should specify a gateway too.

The IP of the Windows PC probably or that of your modem/router, if the wired and wireless interfaces are bridged.

32 minutes ago, Granular said:

Well, yeah, you should specify a gateway too.

The IP of the Windows PC probably or that of your modem/router, if the wired and wireless interfaces are bridged.

The WiFi and ethernet on the Windows PC aren't bridged that I'm aware of, they have the first two sets of four numbers the same between their IPv4 addresses. I'm extremely network illiterate btw, just now attempting to learn

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

The WiFi and ethernet on the Windows PC aren't bridged that I'm aware of, they have the first two sets of four numbers the same between their IPv4 addresses. I'm extremely network illiterate btw, just now attempting to learn

Well, I'm kind of Windows illiterate, otherwise I could suggest something to make the DHCP configuration work.

But for full connectivity, when entering manual configuration, you need to specify an IP for your DNS and an IP for a gateway. Using your Wifi router's IP for both should work, I think.

53 minutes ago, Granular said:

Well, I'm kind of Windows illiterate, otherwise I could suggest something to make the DHCP configuration work.

But for full connectivity, when entering manual configuration, you need to specify an IP for your DNS and an IP for a gateway. Using your Wifi router's IP for both should work, I think.

Ok, I moved the Ubuntu system to the same room as router to directly plug in for updates and install proprietary gfx driver which finished, just moved back to room with target host windows PC. Through some more learning while updates were going, looks like I may have to start with router settings. It's currently leasing DHCP in 24hr periods, and all connected devices are set to automatically gather address info from router. To bridge the adapters on the host PC, looks like I need a static address and then use that to keep the client PC connected since it's failing to auto-gather and needs manual setup anyway. With that scenario, any other device would need to be manually added into the network as well if I'm understanding this correctly. Alternatively, I do have another spare router which could serve as the 'friend/guest add to network with just simple password' by adding it to the first router as an access point. Does this seem half-plausible? 

1 hour ago, meenmeen1103 said:

-snip-

The howto's for Windows' internet connection sharing vary a lot.

I think this guide should work, provided to switched the instructions for interfaces. Did you configure a static address for the wired connection on your Windows machine, like what's done with the wireless one in the guide I linked? When the Ubuntu machine said it was connected, but no online, could you ping some well known IP address, like 8.8.8.8 from it?

18 minutes ago, Granular said:

The howto's for Windows' internet connection sharing vary a lot.

I think this guide should work, provided to switched the instructions for interfaces. Did you configure a static address for the wired connection on your Windows machine, like what's done with the wireless one in the guide I linked? When the Ubuntu machine said it was connected, but no online, could you ping some well known IP address, like 8.8.8.8 from it?

I currently have no static addresses or bridged adapters. What's the basics needed for the WiFi adapter to communicate to the Ethernet on the same machine properly, where WiFi is to router and ethernet is to the second PC?

6 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I currently have no static addresses or bridged adapters. What's the basics needed for the WiFi adapter to communicate to the Ethernet on the same machine properly, where WiFi is to router and ethernet is to the second PC?

Internet connection sharing and briding are two different things.

Supposedly, enabling connection sharing on the wireless interface should make Windows lease addresses on other networks and forward their Internet-bound traffic to the wireless interface.

2 minutes ago, Granular said:

Internet connection sharing and briding are two different things.

Supposedly, enabling connection sharing on the wireless interface should make Windows lease addresses on other networks and forward their Internet-bound traffic to the wireless interface.

Ok, not exactly sure what changed but I deleted all ethernet connections on Ubuntu and create a new one with all defaults and it almost instantly gave me an Avahi error, and now it's online. Browsing around now, though, Firefox is randomly crashing tabs on me. Weirdly, if open private tabs they don't crash, while chromium is doing completely fine without crashing.

13 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Ok, not exactly sure what changed but I deleted all ethernet connections on Ubuntu and create a new one with all defaults and it almost instantly gave me an Avahi error, and now it's online. Browsing around now, though, Firefox is randomly crashing tabs on me. Weirdly, if open private tabs they don't crash, while chromium is doing completely fine without crashing.

That's unlikely to be a network-related issue. You said you installed a GPU driver recently? Is Firefox rendering hardware acceleration enabled?

5 minutes ago, Granular said:

That's unlikely to be a network-related issue. You said you installed a GPU driver recently? Is hardware acceleration enabled?

Firefox is set to "Use recommended performance settings", if I uncheck that box the option to use hardware acceleration appears with its box checked (on) with content process limit of 4 default. Chromium is default using hardware accel as well

The GPU is a r9 390 and the system has 8GB ram