1.1.1.1 DNS in Europe?

KieuVanQuan

So I just watched Linus' new "How to make yer internet faster" video. He claims 1.1.1.1 DNS is going to boost my internet speed but he forgot to mention whether it works efficiently for everyone or just US citizens? Is this exclusively for the US? I mean I live in Hungary (Western Europe -_-) and I ain't sure if it's worth trying coz it's a fairly big distance...Also, what about the privacy? Why is it free? It smells like fish, no?

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

2 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

He claims 1.1.1.1 DNS is going to boost my internet speed but he forgot to mention whether it works efficiently for everyone or just US citizens? Is this exclusively for the US? I mean I live in Hungary (Western Europe -_-) and I ain't sure if it's worth trying coz it's a fairly big distance...Also, what about the privacy? Why is it free? It smells like fish, no?

I can answer a few of your questions, let's start with these ones:

Q1: will it work outside the US? yes

Q2: Is it private? (Or how private is it?) Well from what I have researched (sources below), Cloudflare, the one providing 1.1.1.1 DNS, is highly reputable in terms of privacy. Unlike your ISP, they don't keep the tracking data they obtained from you after 24h. 

I will leave the third questions of why its free for others to explain, I have rather superficial knowledge about Cloudflare in that specific regard. 

Sources:

https://www.cloudflare.com/security-policy/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/cloudflare_dns_privacy/

"LAW ENFORCEMENT AND OBLIGATIONS:

It’s possible that we may be required by law, court order, or other legal process to provide information about our customers to outside parties. It’s our policy to ensure adherence to the due process of law in all such instances, and if we are required to provide information under these circumstances, we will, whenever possible, attempt to inform users whose information we are compelled to produce, unless prohibited by law."

Now I'm scared. Say I go with 1.1.1.1 then download a movie from torrent and the next day I wake up in prison. lol

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

It's supposedly the fastest public DNS service everywhere. It's run by Cloudflare, who are absolutely massive, so it's not too surprising that the responses are good from basically everywhere. 

https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers,Europe

Cloudflare tops the Authoritative DNS performance charts as well. 

Cloudflare likely doesn't make money from its public DNS severs directly, similar to Google. However, when they're providing services to such an extent like Google and Cloudflare, having reliable and fast DNS servers provides benefits that aren't monetary. It's partly a public service, done to make people's experience with the internet better, but they also get interesting data from it. They claim to not track you, but they likely still get anonymous information which can let them pick up on changing trends, repeated issues and mistakes, things like that. 

2 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

"LAW ENFORCEMENT AND OBLIGATIONS:

It’s possible that we may be required by law, court order, or other legal process to provide information about our customers to outside parties. It’s our policy to ensure adherence to the due process of law in all such instances, and if we are required to provide information under these circumstances, we will, whenever possible, attempt to inform users whose information we are compelled to produce, unless prohibited by law."

Now I'm scared. Say I go with 1.1.1.1 then download a movie from torrent and the next day I wake up in prison. lol

That's why people who live in dictatorial nations use proxy services like PIA or Hotspot. But even that can't stop law reinforcement agencies if they are sufficiently determined to get you. In fact, anyone determined enough can get anything on you. Changing your DNS or IP via proxy should be considered more along the lines of extra layers of protection, not some kind of impenetrable walls.

You can measure how fast a server responds to a DNS queries with

dig @1.1.1.1 nic.hu

For me, Google's DNS replied a bit faster for .hu domains, but I'm not in Hungary and 1.1.1.1 replied a lot faster for queries of domains under my country's TLD.

1 minute ago, Granular said:

You can measure how fast a server responds to a DNS queries with

dig @1.1.1.1 nic.hu

For me, Google's DNS replied a bit faster for .hu domains, but I'm not in Hungary and 1.1.1.1 replied a lot faster for queries of domains under my country's TLD.

Where do i type that? xD

4 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Where do i type that? xD

Well, dig is a Linux/Unix command line program, although you can install it on Windows too, supposedly.

Just now, Granular said:

Well, dig is a Linux/Unix command line program, although you can install it on Windows too, supposedly.

I dig what you're saying.

germany here - works awesomely even in combination with my vpn service

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

6 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

germany here - works awesomely even in combination with my vpn service

thanks will try.
I am pissed that Vodafone blocked kinox.to even tho I have a VPN. I don´t want to use their DNS any longer.

just so you know it doesnt "make your internet faster" it might resolve websites slightly faster (Less of the "waiting for <website> to respond"). but your speed is still going to be the same

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

thanks will try.
I am pissed that Vodafone blocked kinox.to even tho I have a VPN. I don´t want to use their DNS any longer.

vodafone is blocking stuff? now im getting nervous since im unitymeia and theyre about to be bought by vodafone

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

10 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

vodafone is blocking stuff? now im getting nervous since im unitymeia and theyre about to be bought by vodafone

I just know from one website, kinox.to because a court order has forced Vodafone to block it. They only appealed the decision after an outcry from their customers. A DNS switch works tho.

I have no knowledge if they block other websites too but I think it is likely that other companies will try to force ISPs to block website after this success.

1 hour ago, KieuVanQuan said:

So I just watched Linus' new "How to make yer internet faster" video. He claims 1.1.1.1 DNS is going to boost my internet speed but he forgot to mention whether it works efficiently for everyone or just US citizens? Is this exclusively for the US? I mean I live in Hungary (Western Europe -_-) and I ain't sure if it's worth trying coz it's a fairly big distance...Also, what about the privacy? Why is it free? It smells like fish, no?

Hey, I just tried it out and, it works fine on a PC even with a VPN. On mobile, I'm not so sure because, after I changed the DNS I couldn't access the internet. It's probably my fault though since I can't just change the DNS alone for some reason.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.