Burning movie on a CD?

Hi everyone, i have a movie i copied to my hardrive a long time ago, for safe keeping of course. I was wondering (because i have a bunch of CDR's i got for cheap) whether i could use them for movies like the one i have now. It has enough free space to fit the file, would that work or is there some other difference then size between CDs and DVDs?

Cheers and have a good one.

Edited by Supportsneedlove
I no spell good

Do you mean you want to burn files to the CD to play in a disc player that supports media files on discs?

Or do you mean trying to burn full DVD-Video formatted disc where all files conform to the DVD standard but onto CDR media rather than DVDR media?

if your movie is just an avi or mp4 file it should work, most DVD players (the ones you hook up to your TV) can play those formats directly

if it's a different format or has a separate subs (srt) that would be a different story

just name it "movie" or something like that, some players can't read spaces 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

if your movie is just an avi or mp4 file it should work, most DVD players (the ones you hook up to your TV) can play those formats directly

if it's a different format or has a separate subs (srt) that would be a different story

just name it "movie" or something like that, some players can't read spaces 

Alright, thanks (i know what a DVD player is)

Are you hoping to play back the file from the CDR or just store it on the disc as a data backup?

Playback might not work, might depend on the DVD player whether or not it will work. May need a special format when burning it to the disc for it to be playable. Honestly not sure, been years since I've handled CDs.

As long as the file size isn't an issue, you can definitely burn it as a data file to the CDR as a backup and then insert the disc in to another computer and copy the files off the disc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Video files will play from CDs as long as the data can be read fast enough.

1x on a CD-ROM drive is equal to 150 KB/s or ~ 1.2 mbps, and in general you can expect a modern DVD drive to be able to read from CDs at up to 15-20x, or at around 15-20 mbps.  So if your video files have a bitrate less than that - let's say you have a 720p or 1080p video at some reasonable bitrate like 6-10 mbps - the files will play just fine.

There were some specific formats designed for CDs. called VideoCD and Super Video CD ...  the files had to be in a specific format and they're burned on discs without error correction, allowing to write more than 650-750 MB on disc, like you can with Audio CD. You can write maybe up to 800 MB of video on a 700 MB disc.

Video CD used MPEG-1 for video compression and MPEG1 Layer 2 (the stuff before mp3) for audio, but the resolution was really low, like 320x240 or 352x240.  

Super Video CD changed the video compression standard to MPEG-2 and raised the resolution to 480x480 or 480x576  (compressor shrinks the image to fit within these constraints and then the video player is supposed to resize it back to 4:3 or 16:9 or whatever. The audio was also improved to work up to 5.1 but people used mostly stereo.

You can create VideoCD or SuperVideoCD these days easily using free software, and you can probably still find some free or shareware version of Tsunami MPEG Encoder, which should have a 30-day evaluation for mpeg-2 encoder but mpeg-1 encoder would be free. 

Software like ex-Sony Vegas or Movie Studio also has templates that exports the video and audio to be compatible for these standards.

One you have the video in a correct format, various software products ( Nero Burning ROM used to be my favorite back then) can write such a disc.

27 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Video files will play from CDs as long as the data can be read fast enough.

1x on a CD-ROM drive is equal to 150 KB/s or ~ 1.2 mbps, and in general you can expect a modern DVD drive to be able to read from CDs at up to 15-20x, or at around 15-20 mbps.  So if your video files have a bitrate less than that - let's say you have a 720p or 1080p video at some reasonable bitrate like 6-10 mbps - the files will play just fine.

There were some specific formats designed for CDs. called VideoCD and Super Video CD ...  the files had to be in a specific format and they're burned on discs without error correction, allowing to write more than 650-750 MB on disc, like you can with Audio CD. You can write maybe up to 800 MB of video on a 700 MB disc.

Video CD used MPEG-1 for video compression and MPEG1 Layer 2 (the stuff before mp3) for audio, but the resolution was really low, like 320x240 or 352x240.  

Super Video CD changed the video compression standard to MPEG-2 and raised the resolution to 480x480 or 480x576  (compressor shrinks the image to fit within these constraints and then the video player is supposed to resize it back to 4:3 or 16:9 or whatever. The audio was also improved to work up to 5.1 but people used mostly stereo.

You can create VideoCD or SuperVideoCD these days easily using free software, and you can probably still find some free or shareware version of Tsunami MPEG Encoder, which should have a 30-day evaluation for mpeg-2 encoder but mpeg-1 encoder would be free. 

Software like ex-Sony Vegas or Movie Studio also has templates that exports the video and audio to be compatible for these standards.

One you have the video in a correct format, various software products ( Nero Burning ROM used to be my favorite back then) can write such a disc.

Also the cDVD or MiniDVD as it would be called, which actually uses the full DVD Video structure on a CD.  Of course space is a huge limitation and not all players support it.

That said, the last time I burned a cDVD or SVCD, the United States was still in the process of planning to invade Iraq, so it's a topic I'm PRETTY out of date on, if there's even a scene for that today in the first place.

But when even the major game consoles will support MKV containers off a USB flash drive, the idea of VCDs and the like seem painfully outdated.

I should add...

Most hardware DVD players should support playback of videos in AVI container, compressed with XVID or DIVX  (h263 compression standard) and  audio formats supported by DVD (ac3, mp3, mpeg1 layer 2 from video cd , uncompressed audio )

Most decoding chips supported decoding of these up to dvd resolutions (768x576 for PAL videos) and a lot of them supported up to 1024 x 576 . which is how you'd stretch to 16:9  PAL 768x576 content)

Some supported FLAC and ogg vorbis (being freeware) and AAC but it wasn't a guarantee.

Few would support mp4 and other formats post DVD video.