Upgrade Corsair 275r

Grabow

I currently have a Corsair 200r and i am looking to upgrade to something newer.

Current Specs:

Mobo: MSI Krait Z97 sli edition

CPU: Intel 4790k

Ram: HyperX 1866mhz

SSD: 120GB

HDD: WD Black 2TB x2

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4GB

Cooler: Corsair H60i

PSU: Fractal 750W

Specs are for reference to know what I need space for.

I like the Corsair 275r TG version in white. But was curious if someone had another recommendation for something maybe a little cheaper with better features.

Carbide 400c is same cost and looks awesome in my opinion.

it's time

I can personally say the 400c is a good case for what you pay for. Specially with the parts you have, you won't have a problem with it. Although good ones to look into are the phanteks pro m cases(my favorite to build in)    and the s340 Elite, I have had no hands on with but hear great things about it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=phanteks+pro+m&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=s340+elite&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

After looking all these cases over, they all seem to share a very similar layout! Weird how the pc case industry follows trends.

12 hours ago, Grabow said:

After looking all these cases over, they all seem to share a very similar layout! Weird how the pc case industry follows trends.

I also love the phanteks pro m

On 4/25/2018 at 11:57 AM, Grabow said:

I like the Corsair 275r TG version in white. But was curious if someone had another recommendation for something maybe a little cheaper with better features.

The 275R has one major Achilles's heel; the TG mounting system. The screws are hex and they dont hod the panel on while you're trying to install it, like Fractal Design, Phanteks or NZXT do. 

Are you looking for a white case, or just a good case around that $100 price?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

The 275R has one major Achilles's heel; the TG mounting system. The screws are hex and they dont hod the panel on while you're trying to install it, like Fractal Design, Phanteks or NZXT do. 

Yeah really looking into a white case with decent features. $75ish would be ideal but if it has more features for a few more dollars I am okay with that.

I saw that for installation/removal of the TG panel laying on it's side is a must. Which knowing that going in isn't that bad IMO.

2 minutes ago, Grabow said:

Yeah really looking into a white case with decent features. $75ish would be ideal but if it has more features for a few more dollars I am okay with that.

I saw that for installation/removal of the TG panel laying on it's side is a must. Which knowing that going in isn't that bad IMO.

Trust me once you've handled a few other TG panels, laying it on its side just to take on or take off a side panel is pretty ridiculous. (It's also ironic how similar our builds are, minus the case)

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#Y=600082,8200000,8200006&t=3

The S340 Elite is $60 ($20 MIR), the Black on the outside, white on the inside P400S TG is also the same price (white on outside, black on inside is currently $80) Newegg has the White Meshify C for $80, the In win 101 is $65, (this one is fairly unique) The 101C has RGB (that's 80 tho) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Trust me once you've handled a few other TG panels, laying it on its side just to take on or take off a side panel is pretty ridiculous. (It's also ironic how similar our builds are, minus the case)

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#Y=600082,8200000,8200006&t=3

The S340 Elite is $60 ($20 MIR), the Black on the outside, white on the inside P400S TG is also the same price (white on outside, black on inside is currently $80) Newegg has the White Meshify C for $80, the In win 101 is $65, (this one is fairly unique) The 101C has RGB (that's 80 tho) 

Wow that S340 elite at that price with the MIR seems like a steal!

RGB really doesnt do anything for me. If anything I would just throw some led strips in.

Wow, our builds are spookily(sp?) similar! Just did a reset and storage sense on mine and its running like brand new!

43 minutes ago, Grabow said:

Wow that S340 elite at that price with the MIR seems like a steal!

RGB really doesnt do anything for me. If anything I would just throw some led strips in.

Wow, our builds are spookily(sp?) similar! Just did a reset and storage sense on mine and its running like brand new!

I've had mine for three + years, will be waiting for the "9700k" before I upgrade. 

39 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I've had mine for three + years, will be waiting for the "9700k" before I upgrade. 

I will probably upgrade my GPU before I do a full system upgrade. 4790k is still crushing it for what I need.

14 hours ago, Grabow said:

I will probably upgrade my GPU before I do a full system upgrade. 4790k is still crushing it for what I need.

AS far as the S340 Elite goes, I've used one in my Blue Build  in my signature, as well as a Define C Mini TG in my Purple build (which is what the Meshify C in white is sourced from, so the builds would otherwise be similar besides form factor and front panel) and while I cant personally vouch for the P400 or In Win 101, the S340 and Fractal Design cases were both great to work with. Personally I liked the uniqueness of the interior of the S340 more, but the Cable management in the Define Mini C was better (and I would assume the P400 would be similar since it's system also uses Velcro straps) Airflow is no contest, Meshify C in white all day, and if you were looking to keep the case when you upgrade, i would probably suggest this over the S340, as some components (8700k, 1080ti) today are overheating in S340's due to "meh" airflow. $60 is an incredible price for the Elite though, so I wouldnt fault you too much if that ended up being your final decision.

Personally, I'm going with a Fractal case on my next build if that tells you anything ;) 

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

AS far as the S340 Elite goes, I've used one in my Blue Build  in my signature, as well as a Define C Mini TG in my Purple build (which is what the Meshify C in white is sourced from, so the builds would otherwise be similar besides form factor and front panel) and while I cant personally vouch for the P400 or In Win 101, the S340 and Fractal Design cases were both great to work with. Personally I liked the uniqueness of the interior of the S340 more, but the Cable management in the Define Mini C was better (and I would assume the P400 would be similar since it's system also uses Velcro straps) Airflow is no contest, Meshify C in white all day, and if you were looking to keep the case when you upgrade, i would probably suggest this over the S340, as some components (8700k, 1080ti) today are overheating in S340's due to "meh" airflow. $60 is an incredible price for the Elite though, so I wouldnt fault you too much if that ended up being your final decision.

Personally, I'm going with a Fractal case on my next build if that tells you anything ;) 

Amazon doesn't directly sell the Meshify C white TG. It is priced at $112!

But on Newegg for $79 + $9.99 for shipping + $8 for taxes. Might as well be over $100!

Shame that I can get the Nzxt s340 elite on amazon for basically the $80. (employee discount and prime free shipping).

Just stumbled upon this Phanteks P300

That seems to check all my boxes (besides being white) lol.

4 minutes ago, Grabow said:

Just stumbled upon this Phanteks P300

That seems to check all my boxes (besides being white) lol.

P300 is a decent case. They cut down a lot of materials (flimsier plastic and steel panels) to be more cost competitive. If you put the H60i in the front (top) and the included fan in the front bottom slot, it should be enough airflow for your system. Cable management isnt as good as it is in the P400 or the Meshify, but its still decent and there are far worse cases. 

@TVwazhere The P400 seems like a huge step up compared to the P300 and comes with rgb strips! only like $10 more on amazon! lol

24 minutes ago, Grabow said:

@TVwazhere The P400 seems like a huge step up compared to the P300 and comes with rgb strips! only like $10 more on amazon! lol

It definitely is a big step up, between the two I'd recommend the P400

20 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Just lay the case on its side and you're good. Don't see the big issue, I like the aesthetic of the TG panel with the hex screws too.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

18 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Just lay the case on its side and you're good. Don't see the big issue, I like the aesthetic of the TG panel with the hex screws too.

It's a lot easier when you've got the whole system set up and plugged in to NOT have to turn it to it's side (especially if the are it sit in is small) to open the side when it's still vertical. The full assembly, yeah it's on it's side half the time anyways but after that it's a hindrance in my mind. It honestly wouldn't even be so bad if they just gave proper rubber mounts that held the glass on while you screwed it on or off

So I went with the Phanteks P400 TG.

This thing was a dream to build in and swapped my pc components over so easily.

Glad I with with this one instead of the other options.

The built in rgb strip is a pretty awesome bonus.

Plus I got this on discount, WIN WIN.

front.jpg

back.jpg

11 hours ago, Grabow said:

So I went with the Phanteks P400 TG.

This thing was a dream to build in and swapped my pc components over so easily.

Glad I with with this one instead of the other options.

The built in rgb strip is a pretty awesome bonus.

Plus I got this on discount, WIN WIN.

Another quality example of how a case can make cable management miles easier and effortless! :) Good job!

If you find your temps are getting a bit warm. switch one of those top exhaust fans to the front as intake, it should help 

@TVwazhere So I am currently fooling with fan layout.

Already switched the top fans to the front and moved the front fan to the radiator for a push/pull.

Liking this setup right now. Don't think I will need any top fans for exhaust yet.

Gonna monitor temps during my "stress tests" and see if that plays a factor.

And yes, this case basically did all the work for me and looks pretty damn good.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2018 at 7:34 AM, Grabow said:

@TVwazhere So I am currently fooling with fan layout.

Already switched the top fans to the front and moved the front fan to the radiator for a push/pull.

Liking this setup right now. Don't think I will need any top fans for exhaust yet.

Gonna monitor temps during my "stress tests" and see if that plays a factor.

And yes, this case basically did all the work for me and looks pretty damn good.

Hey, nice job!   Question: How are your temps?  I'm looking to buy this case but I'm really concerned about the temps because of the somewhat restricted airflow.   It's gonna be an i7 8700/gtx1080 build.

2 minutes ago, meltrust said:

Hey, nice job!   Question: How are your temps?  I'm looking to buy this case but I'm really concerned about the temps because of the somewhat restricted airflow.   It's gonna be an i7 8700/gtx1080 build.

Your temps will be warmer than his. For a configuration like that (6c/12t Intel CPU and 1080 GPU), I would recommend stepping up to a case with better airflow. 

$100 budget

Fractal Design Meshify C

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

Silverstone RL06

Cooler Master MC500 (non P)

$150

Fractal Design Define R6

Corsair 460x

Lian Li PC-O11 Air (when it launches) or Dynamic if you're watercooling the CPU

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, meltrust said:

Hey my idle temps are fairly low pretty consistent with any other case.

Only when I'm "stressing" the system for awhile. Like a few hours or more gaming do the temps get high.

The again I'm only running two intake and one exhaust for my Corsair h60. GPU temps never get high to the point of concern, just normal temps for long gaming sessions. It's my CPU, which I think is not strong enough for the 4790k been thinking of going to a noctua.

I have seen pretty getting great temps at load with a noctua cooler in this case!