Unknown Heat Sink

DigiMat

Hello guys,

I have a friend who needs to find a spare heat sink, for a bull novascale server.

He wants to setup a third Xeon E7-4850, and obviously needs to find a third cooler for that. I included somes pictures of the server and the cooler he has.

After some intensive research, I did found some LGA1567 heat sink, but none of them seems right. The closet thing I found was the Intel E45309-007, which it too tall, compared to the cooler he already got.

I know that's something thats way too much old, but he wants to try anyway, so anything, any piece of information will be appreciated.

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

One of these perhaps? http://store.supermicro.com/heatsink.html?heat_sink_supported_cpu_socket=681

Not identical, but they are for that socket, so it may work.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

i would say they are proprietary, the problem you have is getting something that fits close together with the rest, Looking at the CPU layout, you have very little room for NOT having ones the exact size required. 

What model of Novascale is it ? Your best bet might be to reach out to Novascale and see if they can help you source one ? Regardless of age they generally have some stuff laying around in storage. 

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Its the wrong orientation.  Notice the orientation of the mounting holes vs the direction of the fins.  It would not get any airflow.

I know this may sound stupid but do you think there is a way to liquid cool it?

Just now, coyotetracker said:

@KarathKasun I know this may sound stupid but do you think there is a way to liquid cool it?

If you can fab brackets for "universal" CPU blocks, yes.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Its the wrong orientation.  Notice the orientation of the mounting holes vs the direction of the fins.  It would not get any airflow.

Ah yeah. Nevermind then.

Just now, coyotetracker said:

@KarathKasun I know this may sound stupid but do you think there is a way to liquid cool it?

If you can get the equipment for that socket, and fit it in there, no reason why you couldn't.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I also found similar to the one you found on ebay... Perhaps look for the heatsink that fits to HP Proliant DL580 G7? They are the same socket and similar in size. Or Quanta E45309-006 CPU Heatsink looks close.

Hope I helped at least a bit. Anyways good luck finding :D

I'm not sure he wanna try to liquid cool the server, but it could be a last try solution.

19 hours ago, Krystian said:

I also found similar to the one you found on ebay... Perhaps look for the heatsink that fits to HP Proliant DL580 G7? They are the same socket and similar in size. Or Quanta E45309-006 CPU Heatsink looks close.

Hope I helped at least a bit. Anyways good luck finding :D

The Quanta E45309-006 Heatsink looks close indeed. In fact, it looks the same as the Intel E453309-007 I found earlier, but this only is likely 3 or 4U, where the right one seems to be its little brother, a 2U version. It may lead to something :)

The HP Proliant DL580 G7 one look too tall, and the screws do not fit. We already tried a Supermicro heatsink for this socket, but it didn't fit either 

I will ask him if he can find the precise novascale model, that should be usefull indeed.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, I'll keep you guys in touch :)