How come people still claim that Oculus doesn't have roomscale?

Every time I see a VR discussion of if someone should buy an Oculus or Vive,

I always see people claiming that the rift doesn't have roomscale.

It's had roomscale for like 2 years. Ever since touch released.

In fact, it's pretty much the same size playspace too. Around 12x12 feet with 3 sensors and about 14x14 with 4 maybe a bit more.

That's not counting expanding the playspace to the point where the tracking gets bad of course for either one.

They're pretty much the same.

I don't get all of the Oculus versus Vive stuff.

They're both awesome,

but this one just makes me want to:

giphy.gif

The issue is not everybody has a room large enough for roomscale play areas.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The issue is not everybody has a room large enough for roomscale play areas.

Well, both have roomscale but I find Oculus games are usually a little better for giving you other locomotion options for if you don't have enough space. There are a lot of games on steam that are roomscale only with no teleportation or regular movement with snap turning. Especially escape the room style games..

Still though, you can play all of the Oculus games with a Vive through Revive so that's not an issue to buy one or the other over either.

Well with vive you can have around 1,5 times bigger room, vive uses lasers not cameras, so better, more relayable tracking, also you dont have to connect every damn sensor into your pc, so with oculus 4 camera setup you take up 5 usb ports, then there is the fact that Oculus is owned by facebook, and if you read the facebook contract they save all kinds of stuff from your experience (what programs/games you run, how active were you in them etc etc). Vive also has Lightstation 2.0's coming out this year, meaning massively bigger rooms, which isn't possible with the oculus camera technology, With Vive you can have 2 sensors, and multiple headsets in the same area using only the 2 sensors, can't do that with oculus, etc etc

But the biggest problem with oculus is the roomscale setup is much more cumbersome (harder/more annoying) and the fact that Oculus is owned by that Lizard/robot/robotic lizard Mark Zuck

11 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Well with vive you can have around 1,5 times bigger room, vive uses lasers not cameras, so better, more relayable tracking, also you dont have to connect every damn sensor into your pc, so with oculus 4 camera setup you take up 5 usb ports, then there is the fact that Oculus is owned by facebook, and if you read the facebook contract they save all kinds of stuff from your experience (what programs/games you run, how active were you in them etc etc). Vive also has Lightstation 2.0's coming out this year, meaning massively bigger rooms, which isn't possible with the oculus camera technology, With Vive you can have 2 sensors, and multiple headsets in the same area using only the 2 sensors, can't do that with oculus, etc etc

But the biggest problem with oculus is the roomscale setup is much more cumbersome (harder/more annoying) and the fact that Oculus is owned by that Lizard Mark Zuck

I've tested that and it's not true.

Even HTC themselves list it as a max of 15x15 feet.

Sure you can push it further and still have it sort of work,

but you can't count it when you don't get perfect 360 tracking in every corner.

I could do that with an Oculus too pushing it way further than 14x14 feet, but you'd end up losing 360 tracking in certain corners and that doesn't count.

I honestly actually like Oculus's system better because of the Steamvr setup.

You can only make your playspace a perfect rectangle with steamvr.

That means if you don't have a perfectly rectangular playspace, you're losing a lot of it.

I have a corner that juts out into mine from where the bathroom is and my steam playspace is half the size of the Oculus one as a result so I really think a lot of this stuff is just hearsay from what I've experienced.

I just find wherever I run into these discussions, there are Vive fans trying to tell everybody how much better their Vive is and most of the information is either wrong or seriously outdated.

I wish it didn't have to be a competition.

I think both headsets are awesome and feel no need to act like one is superior over the other.

It's strait up leaving a bad taste in people's mouths and isn't bringing anything positive to the VR community.

The main reason I made this post was to sort of break the wall down on this and maybe have a better, more open VR community.

At the end of the day, Vive existing is good for Oculus owners and vice versa.

More competition between the HMD's means faster innovation and twice as many games with two game libraries going...

so why do we need to always fight about which one is better everywhere you look?

I simply can't setup my playspace in steamvr like this like I can with the Oculus 

so it kind of makes a lot of the arguments against Oculus moot.

As you can see, having to make my playspace a perfect rectangle with steam would mean a much smaller playspace.

I actually disable steam's and luckily the Oculus one still works on top of it.

Untitled.png

I might have been at fault in that way in the past, due to negligence more than any bad intent. Things change, and if you fail to keep up, you get out of date. As a Vive owner, I think Rift might have more longer term momentum simply as it is cheaper. More optimistically, I hope the PC VR industry keeps to common standards so software will work regardless, as that will help the high end VR ecosystem more than two companies trying to become the dominant one. Neither are perfect (although I haven't used Rift) and there is room for improvement.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You can only make your playspace a perfect rectangle with steamvr.

That means if you don't have a perfectly rectangular playspace, you're losing a lot of it.

While the "playspace" is indeed only square, the boundaries you can set are fully custom, meaning you can still walk around these places. The playspace is only so the games roughly know how big your area is, but you can still walk outside it, as the boundaries still remain the custom shapes you set them as. Maybe you can't do that with the Oculus in steamvr, but with Vive i can set the boundaries in all sorts of crazy shapes.

But yeah both headsets are good, Oculus appareantly is more comfortable to wear. Many people just don't like that it is owned by Facebook, as you can read in the contract Facebook mines all your movement/ usage etc data when you use the Oculus, which is not very nice.

15 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

But the biggest problem with oculus is the roomscale setup is much more cumbersome (harder/more annoying) and the fact that Oculus is owned by that Lizard/robot/robotic lizard Mark Zuck

I really hate this,

because it's not true and people keep repeating it like it is.

Your comment will probably get liked a ton as well.

People in forums like hating Oculus even when it means putting their blinders on and believing stuff that isn't even close to true.

I don't like that at all.

I just wish we could keep it real.

There is way too much bad information circulating around about VR and I'll tell you..

I've seen a lot of people get screwed as a result.

Like people who spent hundreds more on a Vive because they heard it alone had roomscale while that wasn't true only to find out that the Oculus Touch controls suited their needs a lot better and now they own both and wish they never bought a vive.

That could go the other way too.

I just wish we could keep the information on this actually informative and not about fighting about which one is better.

2 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

While the "playspace" is indeed only square, the boundaries you can set are fully custom, meaning you can still walk around these places. The playspace is only so the games roughly know how big your area is, but you can still walk outside it, as the boundaries still remain the custom shapes you set them as. Maybe you can't do that with the Oculus in steamvr, but with Vive i can set the boundaries in all sorts of crazy shapes.

But yeah both headsets are good, Oculus appareantly is more comfortable to wear. Many people just don't like that it is owned by Facebook, as you can read in the contract Facebook mines all your movement/ usage etc data when you use the Oculus, which is not very nice.

Yea, but since mine is a livingroom setup with a couch in it, I would have to see those boundaries all the time whenever I play seated. That would ruin immersion.

A lot of that stuff about them spying on you with the cameras is BS too eh.

They only send packaged data to your computer not actual video feed.

Conspiracy theory stuff.. Always take it with a grain of salt.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I really hate this,

because it's not true and people keep repeating it like it is.

Your comment will probably get liked a ton as well.

People in forums like hating Oculus even when it means putting their blinders on and believing stuff that isn't even close to true.

I don't like that at all.

I just wish we could keep it real.

There is way too much bad information circulating around about VR and I'll tell you..

I've seen a lot of people get screwed as a result.

Like people who spent hundreds more on a Vive because they heard it alone had roomscale while that wasn't true only to find out that the Oculus Touch controls suited their needs a lot better and now they own both and wish they never bought a vive.

That could go the other way too.

I just wish we could keep the information on this actually informative and not about fighting about which one is better.

I didn't try to fight, but excactly which parts of my lists are "not true"?

6 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, but since mine is a livingroom setup with a couch in it, I would have to see those boundaries all the time whenever I play seated. That would ruin immersion.

Yeah i have set the boundaries to "expert", which means that they are almost hidden. The original ones were too intrusive

Conspiracy theory stuff.. Always take it with a grain of salt.

Nope, Mark Zuckenberg is actually a robotic lizard confirmed 110% legit af 

7 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

My original comment was pretty informative, at least i think so. (maybe the Zuck part was a bit sarcastic, but have you seen these senate videos of him? Whatever he is, human he is not)

11 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

I didn't try to fight, but excactly which parts of my lists are "not true"?

Where do I start?

You claimed you can have 1.5 times bigger playspace: Not true. HTC themselves list it as 1f bigger than the Oculus playspace with 4 sensors.

Claiming that using lasers means that the tracking is going to be better. Oculus's tracking only started out worse because it started with only one sensor. It's buttery smooth now.

USBs aren't a big issue either, because all you need is a 20 dollar USB card to rectify that.

Claiming that the roomscale setup is harder is extremely untrue. Steam even forces you to carry around the headset while doing it. I've done both and the Oculus setup is at least 10 times easier not by a small margin. It's way, way, WAY easier and more flexible like what I showed about how you can have a free form playspace of the shape of your choosing with oculus.

People do side by side Oculus systems all of the time. All you need is a curtain or to just position them correctly.

It sounds like you're just running on really old information there to me.

I'm just saying... I don't feel the need to tell people my HMD is better than theirs.

I wish the feeling was mutual.

We actually berate anyone who bashes Vive users in the Oculus facebook group even though we constantly get trolled the other way..

It just seems like this is all silly and we should just support each other's headsets since it's good for VR in general. I mean.. think of some of the games you wouldn't have access to without Oculus like Lone Echo for example... or the other way.. I wouldn't have Iron Wolf to play if it wasn't for steam. That's why we shouldn't be ever arguing about this stuff.

The more stores creating VR content and the more competition there is in creating these VR headsets, the better.

Apples to apples the Vive has a playable space ~4 times the size of the Rift . The standard Rift setup really is only big enough for a standing experience.. you wont be walking much around like it is possible with the Vive.

Obviously you can buy extra cameras for the Rift to make the playspace bigger. (like you soon will be able to with the Vive). So the right anwer would be that the Rift can support "roomscale" if you buy extra cameras.

There isn't much difference between the two, so clearly the minors ones that do exist gets mentioned. Rift also have pros that Vive doesn't have...

The problem with the Vive vs Oculus debate is that both sides have too much misinformation floating around, making the discussion harder. Here is my final correction, after that lets agree that both headsets are much better than mobile vr, but both of them need much more improvements before they are ready for mass adaption. For one, i need a giant omni threadmill, so i could walk around instead of teleporting, and higher res and less weight could be nice too.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

You claimed you can have 1.5 times bigger playspace: Not true. HTC themselves list it as 1f bigger than the Oculus playspace with 4 sensors.

My imperial to metric conversion was a bit of, but even then 14feet=3.5 metres, while my vive setup is 5x5 metres, 3,5metres<5metres.

3 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Claiming that the roomscale setup is harder is extremely untrue.

Having to drag 4 usb cables all across the room to your pc and finding the places to put them is easier than just setting 2 sensors on top of tripods and connecting them to the nearest wall socket?

6 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

The problem with the Vive vs Oculus debate is that both sides have too much misinformation floating around, making the discussion harder. Here is my final correction, after that lets agree that both headsets are much better than mobile vr, but both of them need much more improvements before they are ready for mass adaption. For one, i need a giant omni threadmill, so i could walk around instead of teleporting, and higher res and less weight could be nice too.

My imperial to metric conversion was a bit of, but even then 14feet=3.5 metres, while my vive setup is 5x5 metres, 3,5metres<5metres.

Having to drag 4 usb cables all across the room to your pc and finding the places to put them is easier than just setting 2 sensors on top of tripods and connecting them to the nearest wall socket?

USB cables aren't hard to deal with.

We all know how to do cable management after all.

That wouldn't be a big enough selling point to get me to buy one or the other.. plus, you still have to run power to the lighthouses and that's not going to be right by the socket for everyone.

Linus did a good guide on this anyways.

Why do you care about having to say yours is better though?

What is gained from this?

This kind of stuff is just making everyone in the VR community miserable.

I see so much arguing over which one is better everywhere I look.

I just don't care.

They're both really awesome and we should just leave it at that eh? :)

That's where I'll leave it anyways.

They're both really awesome and we should just leave it at that eh? :)

Nope. WE NEED GIANT OMNI THREADMILLS, because teleporting really sucks, and waving your hands around to move ain't cutting it either!

I have tried the virtuix Omni, but that was too tiny for my height, so i needed to be in this kinda croughing posture, so that wasnt the best experience. Also they just put on a lot of soap, so you just slip on it, instead of feeling like actually walking. We need the kind of threadmills as seen on "Ready Player One" movie.

But yeah other than the teleporting part both headsets are awesome. :)

I have had both Vive and Rift, and just got Vive again.

Here's what I found-

1. If you want reliable, accurate room scale then Vive is slightly better

2. The Rift delivers a less pixelated image

3. Colours pop brighter in Vive, which may be to your liking or not

4. I found steamvr/vive nicer to handle in terms of use

Personally i'll stick with Vive, I have more faith in nearly every aspect of it. However Rift is a fine option if you fancy it.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

On 25.4.2018 at 3:59 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Every time I see a VR discussion of if someone should buy an Oculus or Vive,

I always see people claiming that the rift doesn't have roomscale.

It's had roomscale for like 2 years. Ever since touch released.

In fact, it's pretty much the same size playspace too. Around 12x12 feet with 3 sensors and about 14x14 with 4 maybe a bit more.

That's not counting expanding the playspace to the point where the tracking gets bad of course for either one.

They're pretty much the same.

I don't get all of the Oculus versus Vive stuff.

They're both awesome,

but this one just makes me want to:

the thing is oculus didnt have good use able roomscale for way too long and even now its rather bad compared to how it works with the vive.

the huge advantage of the vive is the base stations only need 12V power and thats it while with the oculus you always need a direct connection to the PC while you also want to have 3 of these cameras positioned around you so its a big hassle to set up and need USB repeaters very often.

you simply see and feel with how oculus works that it was not designed for roomscale and they even said this openly as they didnt believe roomscale would be important back then until the vive showed how good it can be.

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

the thing is oculus didnt have good use able roomscale for way too long and even now its rather bad compared to how it works with the vive.

the huge advantage of the vive is the base stations only need 12V power and thats it while with the oculus you always need a direct connection to the PC while you also want to have 3 of these cameras positioned around you so its a big hassle to set up and need USB repeaters very often.

you simply see and feel with how oculus works that it was not designed for roomscale and they even said this openly as they didnt believe roomscale would be important back then until the vive showed how good it can be.

It was like a handful of months waiting for touch. It wasn't long at all. Not even a little bit.

It's not bad at all either.

It's actually buttery smooth now.

The only downside is more wires and that's not really a big one if you ask me. Pretty minor.

If you actually take the time to compare the tracking side by side, you can't even tell the difference.

So what? Buy a few cable extensions and a 20 dollar USB card in the worst case scenario.

Oculus gives you a free USB extension cable with every extra sensor you order anyways.

You don't even need to buy that.

It's extremely good roomscale and to be real honest, you guys are so way off base on this that I really think this is just one of these bash the other company things.

Honestly, I don't think most people who bash Oculus have ever even tried one because you guys are so way off base that there's just no way you ever did at least within the last 2 years.

It's like you're talking about an entirely different product.

I'm so sick of the arrogant, mine is better attitudes with VR.

I won't personally fire back with any of that.

Both the Oculus and Vive are really good and I feel no need to crap on anyone else's product.

That's what our attitudes should be like.

I just feel like this silly, who's is better stuff just creates a negative atmosphere in the VR community and doesn't add anything good to it. I mean, it's especially bad on places like facebook and twitter.

That's one of the reasons I made this post.

To address this.

I feel like the VR community could be a much more positive place without this stuff.

Guys, guys, come on. We shouldn't be fighting with each other.

We should be picking on the PSVR together. 

(joke sign, I have both a Vive and PSVR, don't taze me brah)

If anyone asks you never saw me.