[Build Log] Time For A Daily Driver Update

The time has finally come to replace my 4th gen daily use system. This build is planned to take around 3 months to complete as I will be buying parts in groups every month as I get paid monthly. I work as a network technician apprentice so I don't really earn much; so it could take longer depending on how much of my salary I spend on other things such as my car and general living. Just to let you all know these parts are final and I'm not intending on changing any of them whatsoever, so unless I have missed something that would be imperative for this build to function correctly, please do not recommend any alternative components. 

Anyway, here's my current systemhttps://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3pDWYr

I'm starting over again for these reasons:

1. I can still make a few hundred quid from selling my current machine to go towards the new build.
  2. I haven't bought any new components for over 2 years and I'm itching for retail therapy. 
  3. I absolutely love building PC's.
  4. I want a completely new look for my setup.
  5. Finally, the current technology available has significantly increased in performance to justify an upgrade. (IMO)

New systemhttps://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FBRTJ8 + de-lid tool off ebay.

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S

Thermal Compound - Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (For IHS | De-lid)

Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000mhz

Storage - Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD

GPU - ASUS STRIX GTX 1060 6GB

Case - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W

Fans - Noctua NF-S12A Chromax (x1) | Noctua NF-F12 Chromax (x1) | Noctua NF-A14 Chromax (x2) 

Other - Noctua NA-HC2 Chromax Heatsink Cover | De-lid tool

I have created this thread today because I have just purchased the case and the fans; thus beginning the build log. When they arrive I will assemble them and take pictures to be added to this thread. Be aware this will be a slow process and I'll only be posting updates every month because as I said I'm buying the parts monthly. I'm not even sure if anyone will be interested in this build but I just thought I'd share it because I'm passionate about it. Cheers :D.

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

hmm, conductonaut...

Image result for nice gif

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

6 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

hmm, conductonaut...

Yes, forgot to mention I'll be de-liding an OC-ing and undervolting. Gonna get my baby tuned up to perfection. My target is 5ghz all cores, after doing some research it seems like a reasonable target. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

1 minute ago, Alcam said:

Yes, forgot to mention I'll be de-liding an OC-ing and undervolting. Gonna get my baby tuned up to perfection. My target is 5ghz all cores, after doing some research it seems like a reasonable target. 

5GHz and at lower temps of course, much overclocking headroom then

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

What's your budget? I'd imagine from selling your current system for £500-600 could get you a much better gpu than a 1060 6gb

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

30 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

What's your budget? I'd imagine from selling your current system for £500-600 could get you a much better gpu than a 1060 6gb

There's no need for me to get anything better than a 1060, I don't game above 1080p. The performance at 1080p with a GTX 1070 doesnt really justify the cost. If at whatever point in the future I get a 1440p monitor I will upgrade GPU, but I'd imagine I'll be waiting a couple of years for that. No rush. 

As for my old system I would be looking around £400-500. It will more than likely be passed down to a younger cousin or family friend at around £400, that way I know it goes to a good home ;)

Just FYI, your list in the post says 1060 but the pcpartpicker says 960.

it's time

9 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Just FYI, your list in the post says 1060 but the pcpartpicker says 960.

Yes, that's the link to my current build which has a 960. The 2nd link is the link to the system I'm upgrading to with a 1060. :)

7 minutes ago, Alcam said:

Yes, that's the link to my current build which has a 960. The 2nd link is the link to the system I'm upgrading to with a 1060. :)

Ohhhhhh, my bad.

it's time