Manufactoring errors brands made in the past (or present)

We all know there are certain issues that have plagued different brands either it being unreliable construction or bad repair service. Since Apple often takes most of the hits when it comes to errors with their devices i thought we should shed some light on other brands and their construction issue and how they have resolved them (or more)

This thread isnt in the intent of bashing brands for their errors they have made and or bashing how they have resolved them, but the intent is to inform of such issues, as well as inform if they ever experience such issues they know what to expect in terms of service. That way people can spend their money more visely.

please keep this Civil

For my first pc build, I bought a Be quiet cooler but when I went to install it, it just wouldn't fit. The bracket that went over the cooler and connected to the two supports on the motherboard wouldn't not fit as it would lift up when screwed in on one side. It was the correct socket and one of the brackets didn't come with the screw hole so I couldn't put a screw into it. I know the brand is good but I was disappointed that the cooler wasn't manufactured properly.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

it would lift up when screwed in on one side.

That's how it works for most coolers. You're supposed to gradually tighten the cooler as opposed to one side before the other and it can take a bit of pressure to hold to cooler down when first screwing it in.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's how it works for most coolers. You're supposed to gradually tighten the cooler as opposed to one side before the other and it can take a bit of pressure to hold to cooler down when first screwing it in.

That's the thing, I couldn't because the cooler would be up higher than the brackets and so it wouldn't balance between the brackets. I tried multiple times to try put it on but the slightest screw on one side would tilt the middle bar at an angle where I couldn't screw it in on the other side.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

That's the thing, I couldn't because the cooler would be up higher than the brackets and so it wouldn't balance between the brackets. I tried multiple times to try put it on but the slightest screw on one side would tilt the middle bar at an angle where I couldn't screw it in on the other side.

Which cooler and socket was this?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

Be quiet pure rock in the LGA 1150 or whichever one goes with the 4th gen cpu's

Are you sure that the mounting hardware was being installed correctly?

The center bracket installation can be prevented by the two side brackets being upside down or using the wrong hole position on the side brackets for your socket. The latter is a pretty common mistake. 

I tried it multiple times making sure everything was correct, I did end up tying it down with a ziptie until I got a new cooler.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

We all know there are certain issues that have plagued different brands

Razer once told everyone they were a serious gaming brand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Samsung, with their exploding Note 7s.

AMD with not making any new CPUs for several years (I can't remember how long it was actually).

AMD with meltdown

intel with spectre

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Are are talking about failed products that in hindsight shouldn't exist or decent ones that had design/manufacturing flaws?

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

I bought this awesome-looking, long awaited Coolermaster PC case with two giant RGB intake fans. But they somehow blocked the whole intake path with an acrylic front panel that came off as soon as I sneezed.
Luckily, they released a mesh front panel with a better mounting mechanism that finally allows the case to breathe.

Seriously though, for me a sizeable fail was the pascal EVGA FTW edition with their ACX 3.0 cooler that would make them run at 59°C on idle. The fact that I ran it inside the choking hazard that is the H500P with the acrylic front panel really did not help. Luckily, I ordered the thermal pad mod kit for free and that solved the issue.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Dell Optiplex GX620 motherboard capacitors.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

fixed

ah shit, (I didn't pay enough attention to what effected what)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

2 hours ago, Combustible Lemon said:

Are are talking about failed products that in hindsight shouldn't exist or decent ones that had design/manufacturing flaws?

Decent ones that had manufactoring flaws. Example would be something like a failing capacitor or keyboard or joints failing prematurly. Id take the liberty of when Apple had a "unibody" designed that was two pieces glued together. Sadly the glue was placed right where the heatsinks were and the glue failed comprimising the laptops structure

OK. Where do we start?

We have the ACX 3.0 cards from EVGA that were toasting themselves and required vBIOS update and manually installing thermal pads that warn't originally a part of the cards. 
HP laptops (multiple models). The display hinges ware screwed to a plastic shell and eventually broke.

iPhone 4 antennagate.

LG phones (G4, V10, Nexus 5x) spontaneous unrecoverable bootloops, that turns out to be a faulty logic boards that needed to be replaced completely.

HTC One (M7) camera that decided the world should be purple.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

I had one of the old OG Razer diamondback gaming mice. Awesome mouse and lasted for years. Finally it wore out and I needed a new mouse so I naturally went back to razer, got a deathadder chroma for $80 from best buy. 

About 6-8 months later it starts double clicking when I try to single click something, apparently this is a fairly common problem to have. So like an idiot I went on youtube and some guy convinced me if I opened it up and cleaned a certain piece it would work. I took it apart, went to wipe this piece off, which was like a small strip of copper that was stretched across underneath the button, it bent and never worked again. RIP

Not long after I managed to pick up a new steelseries rival 700 for $45 at a government auction of all places. Been an awesome mouse. 

EDIT: apparently razer released a firmware update that fixed this double click issue. you can find it here: 

Anyone else have one of these bad boys:

diamondback.jpg

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Didnt LG forget to put an OS on a whole bunch of Google pixels?? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil