java goes commerical iicenses

rcorkum

https://java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

if I was corporate IT right now I'd be banking vacation and figuring out the license date switch over and make sure I booked vacation to a remote island with limited cell phones.

as for me if I was developing java and trying to support as many customers as in older versions multiple platform this is going to become a nightmare so far what am gleaning from the reddit thread on this the cost model could get interesting on support. 

If you are a CONSUMER using Java for individual, personal use, you will continue to have the same access to Oracle Java SE 8 updates as you do today through at least the end of 2020. In most instances, the Java-based applications you run are licensed separately by a company other than Oracle (for example, games you play on your PC are likely developed by a gaming company). These applications may run on the Java platform and be dependent on Oracle Java SE 8 updates beyond 2020. Accordingly, Oracle recommends you contact your application provider for details on how they plan to continue to provide application support to you.

If you are a DEVELOPER, Oracle recommends you review the roadmap information for Java SE 8 and beyond and take appropriate action depending on the type of application you develop and your distribution model.

If you are acting on behalf of an ENTERPRISE, Oracle recommends you review the roadmap information for Java SE 8 and beyond and begin to assess your ongoing Java support requirements in order to migrate to a later release or obtain a commercial license, as appropriate, on a timely basis. Oracle customers who use Java SE as part of another Oracle product may continue to have access to Oracle Java SE 8 updates beyond 2019 for those Oracle products, see this My Oracle Support (MOS) note for more information.

I added the bold on reddit right now in sysadmin there is a very interesting thread building on this https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8emu1l/oracle_quietly_announces_java_required_licensing/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Edited by rcorkum
checking urls

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 will remain available for individual, personal use through at least the end of 2020. 

Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 released after January 2019 will not be available for business, commercial or production use without a commercial license.

If you are acting on behalf of an ENTERPRISE, Oracle recommends you review the roadmap information for Java SE 8 and beyond and begin to assess your ongoing Java support requirements in order to migrate to a later release or obtain a commercial license, as appropriate, on a timely basis. Oracle customers who use Java SE as part of another Oracle product may continue to have access to Oracle Java SE 8 updates beyond 2019 for those Oracle products, see this My Oracle Support (MOS) note for more information.

So pretty much just SE 8 is effected and they are trying to push companies to SE 9+ or pay for the expenses of maintaining SE 8. Not that I support this method, just clarifying for other readers.

Edit: Just standard practice, offering businesses the option to pay for extended support.

Edited by Guest

Inferior to other languages anyways. It is just popular because it is popular at this moment and it gets taught in schools/ universities for that reason so unfortunately it is a doomed circle but maybe this can help and break it.

yes but I've done corp it and seen how much java is legacy and spread out just in the systems I was helping maintain. maybe its just my experience but Id like to book a vacation for the day the boss fully realizes the $$$ and goes looking for someone to blame ;)

Just now, Snapperx said:

Inferior to other languages anyways. It is just popular because it is popular at this moment and it gets taught in schools/ universities for that reason so unfortunately it is a doomed circle but maybe this can help and break it.

if this killed java finally I'd dance and youtube it ;) I fully agree.

6 minutes ago, tjcater said:

So pretty much just SE 8 is effected and they are trying to push companies to SE 9 or pay for the expenses of maintaining SE 8. Not that I support this method, just clarifying for other readers.

yes but here is another doc of there support roadmap.

End of Public Updates for Oracle JDK 8

As outlined in the Oracle JDK Support Roadmap below, Oracle will not post further updates of Java SE 8 to its public download sites for commercial use after January 2019. Customers who need continued access to critical bug fixes and security fixes as well as general maintenance for Java SE 8 or previous versions can get long term support through Oracle Java SE Advanced, Oracle Java SE Advanced Desktop, or Oracle Java SE Suite. All other users are recommended to upgrade to the latest major releases of the Oracle JDK or OpenJDK.  

Oracle does not plan to migrate desktops from Java 8 to later versions via the auto update feature.  Individuals who require Java SE for non-corporate desktop use will continue to receive updates through at least December 2020.  Instead of relying on a pre-installed standalone JRE, we encourage application developers to deliver JREs with their applications.  More details will be made available through early 2018.

Java SE Public Updates

Release GA Date End of Public Updates
Notification
End of Public Updates

8 Mar 2014 Sep 2017 January 2019* and December 2020*
(as described above)

9 Sep 2017 Sep 2017 Mar 2018**

10 (18.3)*** Mar 2018 Mar 2018 Sep 2018

11 (18.9 LTS)*** Sep 2018 TBA**** TBA****

* or later.
** Java SE 9 will be a short term release, and users should immediately transition to the next release (18.3) when available.
*** Oracle has proposed a new version scheme for Oracle based builds (YY.M) starting in March, 2018. Java SE 10 (18.3) will be a short term release and users should transition to the next release when available.
**** In September 2017 Oracle announced a road map for faster and easier redistribution of Java SE which is planned to take effect starting September 2018.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

The links in your post are currently broken. To fix them, click in the link then click the button on the editor toolbar to change the link destination.

----

The OpenJDK, which is also developed by Oracle, is now (or will be as of an upcoming release, I'm not quite sure) licensed under the GPL, so I'll be interested to see whether companies end up migrating to OpenJDK rather than dealing with licensing the commercial version.

HTTP/2 203

I don't see how this is news. This was what happened pretty much when Java 9 came out. They've wanted to phase out Java 8 for a while.

Edit: Also, Java has always been Commercially supported. Organisations have paid for extra support past the official end of support date for quite some time going back to the Java 6 days.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, rcorkum said:

yes but here is another doc of there support roadmap.

Not sure what you wanted to point out unless you are referring to them expanding support for those who are willing to pay for maintenance.

I'm a little confused, are you now being required to purchase a license to deploy your Software that was made in Java?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

7 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

I'm a little confused, are you now being required to purchase a license to deploy your Software that was made in Java?

No. They're just offering paid extended support if you want a longer lifecycle for older versions of Java. It's 100% optional.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

No. They're just offering paid extended support if you want a longer lifecycle for older versions of Java. It's 100% optional.

Ok, so then how is this a big deal again?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

Ok, so then how is this a big deal again?

It's not. I'm surprised this was posted at all.

21 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The links in your post are currently broken. To fix them, click in the link then click the button on the editor toolbar to change the link destination.

----

The OpenJDK, which is also developed by Oracle, is now (or will be as of an upcoming release, I'm not quite sure) licensed under the GPL, so I'll be interested to see whether companies end up migrating to OpenJDK rather than dealing with licensing the commercial version.

Well, OpenJRE is already a bit popular among the open source community. I fully expect it to grow a bit more but not a huge amount more.

1 hour ago, Snapperx said:

Android apps... all Java.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That would explain why they are unstable :P

Seriously though I've found Java to be clunky, I guess its universal nature is the reason its used so frequently

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

That would explain why they are unstable :P

Seriously though I've found Java to be clunky, I guess its universal nature is the reason its used so frequently

More like why Android can finally provide a smooth experience to users, as phone chip are, now, massively faster than before, while iOS and Windows Phone had 0 trouble on similar or weaker spec device back then. That said, Google has been very actively optimizing their custom Java Virtual Machine (the layer that runs Java programs) to get every drop of performance that they can get, and it did pay off. If not, Who knows, maybe a Snapdragon 835 might still not be enough to run the more complex apps of today compared to before, smoothly.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Doesn't the NDK exist for performance sensitive applications?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

13 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Doesn't the NDK exist for performance sensitive applications?

True, but I said apps and not games. But I guess some apps can be optimized to use NDK to operate faster, probably media apps uses it. But for most apps devs don't bother.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

you can also use Kotlin

and there are frameworks that can abstract some of the work, such as React Native or NativeScript

3 hours ago, Snapperx said:

Yes,

My German university has one Java class for beginners in programming and one for very advanced students in C++

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Yes,

My German university has one Java class for beginners in programming and one for very advanced students in C++

My university had Haskell and Java as classes for Algorithms and Datastructures.
Germany as well.

12 hours ago, Snapperx said:

My University is teaching it's first course in Rust in the fall. They like to try and do best practices, but my professors complain about the lack of security in most languages.

10 hours ago, Technicolors said:

you can also use Kotlin

and there are frameworks that can abstract some of the work, such as React Native or NativeScript

Kotlin is a superset of Java though.