Samsung launches new 970 EVO and 970 PRO NVMe SSDs

AlTech
31 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how much stuff are you writing to your SSD every day? o_o even my 3(?) year old OS disk claims it's 3% of its rated lifespan used (i don't have the exact numbers in my head and I most definitely don't have my PC with me right now (maybe untill that SFF case arrives))

At the moment the most i can manage is .74TB a day, and real world is 0-250gb usually. but when i get a threadripper 1950x and remove other bottlenecks, the max could increase to 2tb a day i hope. 

I dont expect to wear mine out that fast. Ive just come to terms with it, that ill have to buy a new one in a few years. DWPD is calculated with a basically empty drive right? 

Edit: spendung $200 max. i expect my storage to be atleast 40% full within the first few days of installing stuff, and increase over time. That would decrease a 512gb SSD life by a lot ya? 

I would imagine buying one of these fast drives and using it as a RAM cache (in conjunction with normal storage) would make 8gb RAM very livable while the prices are still so crazy.

My 750 Evo was getting shredded by page file use without me noticing and using my HDD as a cache is pretty slow 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

At the moment the most i can manage is .74TB a day, and real world is 0-250gb usually. but when i get a threadripper 1950x and remove other bottlenecks, the max could increase to 2tb a day i hope. 

5 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Unless you spend the money, you can kill a more budget friendly SSD in a year or 2.

Your use case is def an outlier. Even second gen SSDs could last 10 years at 50GB a day. That was what, back in 2010. And it was 2-3 years ago someone reported a 24/7/365 write test and it took 5 years to die. 

Yes SSDs do have a limited life but people freak out way too much over it. But with your use case or wanting to write 2TBs a day.....that just beyond what current tech can handle but it will still last you years. 

18 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah, imo the only people buying NVMe SSDs should be content creators and anybody spending over $3K on a system. Cos they're just too expensive for everyone else.

I'd only consider one if I was still doing video production really.

Right now even getting a little Sandisk II 960GB would make more sense; even for my silly spending habits than a 1TB NVME. It's just not really needed for most enthusiasts and gamers.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Designed on the M.2 form factor, both drives are built for gaming and working quickly with intense workloads,  such as 4K video editing and 3D design.

Yes because there's just so much overlap. They didn't try to just slap the fucking "gamer" in there for no fucking reason I'm sure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, VegetableStu said:

personally 1TB NVMe is too much for me ._. although admittedly I have never encountered a project needing 500GB or above (I'm nowhere near even 10GB, LOL)

what I went with so far: 500GB NVMe for active projects; handful of SATA SSDs for midterm/interim/complacent storage

I'm old school, got external Raid Arrays with disk drives still. Only used SSD's for cache and scratch disks.

Since I don't do that anymore, a 960GB SATA SSD will be plenty for me :D

16 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

curious: what RAID array hardware setup are you running? o_o been looking at options recently, LOL

I mainly used Lacie's Big and Rack stuff for my Mac Pro. At the moment I still have a Lacie big under my desk for personal stuff. I'm glad they were smart enough to include both USB 3 and Thunder bolt.

https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/professional/big/

Great drives. I aim for the Pro one, though really wish prices decline for SSDs more already.

Also, I wonder when Samsung will release their Z-NAND based Z-SSD prosumer/consumer variants.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

Great drives. I aim for the Pro one, though really wish prices decline for SSDs more already.

Samsung is in an uncontested performance position and is also a major supplier of NAND for most other companies barring Intel and perhaps SanDisk (though I think SanDisk contracts out their production). They can fix the prices so long as they don't attract legal attention like they did in China. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Samsung is in an uncontested performance position and is also a major supplier of NAND for most other companies barring Intel and perhaps SanDisk (though I think SanDisk contracts out their production). They can fix the prices so long as they don't attract legal attention like they did in China. 

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. They can price a premium for sure cause of it. Though in general prices need to go down quite a bit more before I buy 1TB SSD myself. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. They can price a premium for sure cause of it. Though in general prices need to go down quite a bit more before I buy 1TB SSD myself. 

I don't really see the point of big SSDs for the average Joe unless you're going for pure SSD storage. Otherwise a 120/250gb SSD will have all the same benefits while costing a lot less. I understand if you're heavy duty video editing or something though 

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

I don't really see the point of big SSDs for the average Joe unless you're going for pure SSD storage. Otherwise a 120/250gb SSD will have all the same benefits while costing a lot less. I understand if you're heavy duty video editing or something though 

O yeah I have a boot SSD for years already. Got TBs of HDD space. So my next aim is a 1TB SSD for certain tasks eventually.