Car speakers/stereo

Justin2Justin14

So I have a 2003 Buick lasabre custom(its my first car) I wanted to know what stereo I could put in there that has aux at least and I want to replace all the speakers and put a subwoofer in the trunk could someone come up with some balanced parts that would work as cheap as possible lol I'm not going for top quality sounds or anything I just want to spice up my car a little and have some bass!

20 hours ago, Justin2Justin14 said:

bump

Most people on this audio board typically don't discuss car audio. There is a huge thread in the general discussion section that is focused around cars, they may be able to better help you over there.

If you want cheap just buy speakers from walmart and install yourself. If you have a little extra money and peace of mind go to best buy and consult with them and have them install. I spent 50 dollars on a deck and 150 on a subwoofer+amp when I was in high school and it was so loud my car was broken into and it was all stolen lol.

2 hours ago, NinJake said:

If you want cheap just buy speakers from walmart and install yourself. If you have a little extra money and peace of mind go to best buy and consult with them and have them install. I spent 50 dollars on a deck and 150 on a subwoofer+amp when I was in high school and it was so loud my car was broken into and it was all stolen lol.

lol ok

image.png.98d15b8f6262e01337c51d0be875f080.pngAs your radio is this size, you'll have to grab an adapter to fit modern decks. It's essentially something that takes up this entire space but adds a spot to install a modern deck and gives you a tray or something along those lines within it. I had to do the same thing on my old car.

What is your budget? That is a huge factor. How much bass are we talking about? Loud bass needs loud mids and highs or else the novelty of it will wear off after a while.

You will need amplifers to get good sound. A headunit (stero) alone will not be powerful enough for anything impressive. You will also need to run at least 4 guage positive wire from the battery to the amp. 

(BTW forget the 3.5mm jack to tape deck adapter! That will sound like absolute crap with an amplifier.) You will need a headunit preferably with Bluetooth unless you plan on using CDs for everything.)

Some CHEAP options.

4 channel amplifier.

2 Coax speakers with passive crossovers (usually come with speakers)  for the front doors. These will go to channels 1 & 2.

1 sub woofer connected to channels 3 & 4 (bridged mode.. more power)

OR

2 channel amplifier for door speakers 

mono/single channel amplifier for the subwoofer

When selecting an amplifier try to match the output wattage to what the speakers are rated for. This is usually labeled as "Watts RMS" or average continuous power. Having more power on the amp than what the speaker is rated for is fine, as its not stressing out the amp and can be tuned. If possible to stick with manufactures who list the CEA  rating for power as these will be mroe accurate. (A LOT of manufactures bately lie about output power of amps and speakers... Google their claims if not rated by CEA)

Watts is also not everything, you want a high sensitivity rating too as a less powerful speaker with a higher sensitivity rating could be much louder. (subs are usually 85-89db sens... while door speakers should be 88-93+db sensitivity). A very cheap setup might be anything at or over 50watts for door and like over 200-300+ watts for sub.

Be sure to match the head unit output signal voltage to what the amp is expecting for the input as it will make setting the gain easier.

Google up on  how to set gain. You can get a rough estimate of the absolute max  gain setting with a multi meter and some math if you dont have fancy tools.