PC for coding/programming

Hello, this is my first post here on Linustechtips.  I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on a type of pc that could do programming and coding.  I would like to spend a max of $1500 on the actual desktop.  I am looking to run Windows 10 and some programming compilers/editors. I was also wondering if this one was good? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xn6HBb

It's hard to recommend a z270 now as it is a generation old.  A z370 and i5 or i7 for about the same money would be a better buy.  Also get a 120-250GB SSD to put your OS on.

Literally any computer can do programming.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Are you actually just looking for a computer to do  coding and programming, or are you looking for one to play games. Because that PC looks like one for playing games.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NhQ3tg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NhQ3tg/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($121.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Titanium Video Card  ($574.78 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($119.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1519.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-23 13:17 EDT-0400

17 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Are you actually just looking for a computer to do  coding and programming, or are you looking for one to play games. Because that PC looks like one for playing games.

Um no only for coding

8 minutes ago, joekazmac said:

Um no only for coding

Here you go m8 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n3Pmgw  

What you have is overkill, old, and inefficient. This build I have is way cheaper and is a much better value for what you're trying to do. 

32gb can help btw but it's not needed 16gb will do you just fine.

If your going to be programming just get a cheap prebuilt somewhere. Programming can be done on anything, $500 should be your max if all you want to do is program. 

1 minute ago, Tm_Carbon said:

If your going to be programming just get a cheap prebuilt somewhere. Programming can be done on anything, $500 should be your max if all you want to do is program. 

@Tm_Carbon True, but it depends on what he is trying to do.

Just now, coyotetracker said:

@Tm_Carbon True, but it depends on what he is trying to do.

If they will be doing any graphic development they will need a bit beefier of a computer. Normal programming doesn't require anything special. 8gb of ram, ssd, and your good to go, programming doesn't need much. 

40 minutes ago, joekazmac said:

Hello, this is my first post here on Linustechtips.  I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on a type of pc that could do programming and coding.  I would like to spend a max of $1500 on the actual desktop.  I am looking to run Windows 10 and some programming compilers/editors. I was also wondering if this one was good? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xn6HBb

@joekazmac Can you clarify on what aspect of coding and programming you're trying to do?

52 minutes ago, joekazmac said:

If you are only running basic scripts and are programming basic things like websites, basic phone apps etc then this build, in reality, is all you need. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JXjjpG

Now if you are running very CPU intensive scripts and are trying to run virtual environments in order to run another os like Linux in order to test different malicious or nonmalicious code like viruses, malware, etc then the other part Iist I showed you with the ryzen 2600 is the build I think will help you the most IMO. You may not be doing either and you may have a completely different area of programming your in right now, please let me know if that is the case.

I would suggest Ryzen 2 instead. 7700k is outdated plus recent spectre and meltdown patches really brought down compile performance for Intel CPUs 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb