Docsis PCI?

Aluavin

Hi, 

I want to reduce complexity in my  network. Therefore i want to moves my Router (with integrated modem) over into my unraid Server where i will use pfsense to Cover the duties of that Router. 

But i can't find any docsis 3.0 (or 3.1) PCI cards? Am i on the Weinglas track or does these cards not exists? 

The cards do not exist unfortunately. There were at one point DOCSIS 2.0 PCIe cards but those aren't going to give you anywhere near the speeds you're looking for and most likely won't even be allowed on your providers network.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Best bet is to disable router functionality on your ISPs device and just have it bridge the connection to your server. Doesn't get rid of a device, but at least allows you to use pfsense.

Jeah, but this doesnt help me to reduce the complexity. I Was hoping to reduce the point of failures in my home network. 

Going into bridge Mode is no option for me because error messages and broadcasts are not forwarded to the router. This results in unknown parameters why my Internet is down. So I have to Check the Modem anyways. 

1 hour ago, Aluavin said:

This results in unknown parameters why my Internet is down

Does your internet go down that often?

I am using a DOCSIS 3 connection in the way I mentioned above. Probably only go to the modem once a year at most. And when it happens I just plug a lan cable into it from a laptop. 

Maybe I am just lucky with a stable connection, but DOCSIS connections are usually quite stable from my experience.

7 hours ago, DogKnight said:

Does your internet go down that often?

I am using a DOCSIS 3 connection in the way I mentioned above. Probably only go to the modem once a year at most. And when it happens I just plug a lan cable into it from a laptop. 

Maybe I am just lucky with a stable connection, but DOCSIS connections are usually quite stable from my experience.

Yes, at least couple of month ago i had to provide logs to get a major refund because i couldnt use the service due to instability. 

But again: even a Modem in bridge mode will still have 2 point of failures and is not what i have intended by moving everything to my unraid system - reducing complexity. 

6 hours ago, Aluavin said:

Yes, at least couple of month ago i had to provide logs to get a major refund because i couldnt use the service due to instability. 

But again: even a Modem in bridge mode will still have 2 point of failures and is not what i have intended by moving everything to my unraid system - reducing complexity. 

If you have instability then you most likely have signal issues. It could be the ISP or internal wiring. Not sure about ISP's in Germany but here in the US ISP's are not responsible to internal wiring. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, Aluavin said:

Jeah, but this doesnt help me to reduce the complexity. I Was hoping to reduce the point of failures in my home network. 

Going into bridge Mode is no option for me because error messages and broadcasts are not forwarded to the router. This results in unknown parameters why my Internet is down. So I have to Check the Modem anyways. 

Doing what you asked about won't reduce complexity or point of failures.

Instead of a standalone modem being a point of failure, now it'll be the (non-existent) PCI card as the point of failure.

If you are having issues, it's likely a signal issue with the line itself. You may also want to buy a good high quality stand alone DOCSIS 3.0 modem, if your ISP allows third party modems. The ISP provided modems tend to be junk.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)