Largo Detectives use Dead Man's Finger to Unlock his Phone

Atra1n2

Police kill a man under extremely dubious circumstances, and people are strangely okay with them then going and de facto raiding where his body was and attempting to use his finger to help exonerate themselves of killing him.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

In the US there is an on-going debate about warrant-less search exceptions and when they apply to homicides.

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6185&context=jclc 

Speculation about the police intent is just that: speculation.  Let's try to stick with what we know.  What they did was not explicitly illegal due to loose definitions of "homicide exceptions" (which are absolutely necessary in some cases); searching of personal effects has traditionally been a matter of court interpretation (disagreement).

We can say that doing it in the funeral home with the family present was bad taste.

14 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Police kill a man under extremely dubious circumstances, and people are strangely okay with them then going and de facto raiding where his body was and attempting to use his finger to help exonerate themselves of killing him.

They are going for the trifecta.. black, drugs and previous record.

Amazing how people who don't like the information go ahead and create conditions surrounding what was reported in order to prop up their ideals.  Hmm my ideals are not quite outraged enough by this news, I am going to have to make it sound like the original death was unwarranted and that the dead man might be a victim and that there is no evidence of drugs.  That's better,  now it sounds like grandma was shot by an angry policemen then molested in front of her family.    9_9

The only thing here to get pissed about is the poor taste in which they tried to unlock the phone.  Have some respect for the living who are grieving, just because he was a criminal likely hiding evidence doesn't mean he wasn't someones husband, son or dad.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Amazing how people who don't like the information go ahead and create conditions surrounding what was reported in order to prop up their ideals.  Hmm my ideals are not quite outraged enough by this news, I am going to have to make it sound like the original death was unwarranted and that the dead man might be a victim and that there is no evidence of drugs.  That's better,  now it sounds like grandma was shot by an angry policemen then molested in front of her family.    9_9

The only thing here to get pissed about is the poor taste in which they tried to unlock the phone.  Have some respect for the living who are grieving, just because he was a criminal likely hiding evidence doesn't mean he wasn't someones husband, son or dad.

I pretty much agree with all you just said. 

No need to add separate things to the story about who the man was and why or why not what was done was right or wrong.

The only thing that matters to this story is how this specific situation was handled and how it affects the rights of the deceased and his family.

That doesn't mean all the other things don't matter but it's a separate issue.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

Are people really doing that though? I don't think I agree people are doing that in this thread.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Are people really doing that though? I don't think I agree people are doing that in this thread.

From two posts above mine:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Driving away from police is not a capital offense.

And he's already dead.  What possible purpose could unlocking the phone of a dead man serve?  He's dead.  He can't be tried for drugs.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

And he's already dead.  What possible purpose could unlocking the phone of a dead man serve?  He's dead.  He can't be tried for drugs.

296nce.jpg

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I don't think the dead particularly care or are even aware their rights were violated.

3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

I'm going to assume it has to do with an ongoing investigation - a wider case. You cannot dismiss that he might have information related to a larger case.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm going to assume it has to do with an ongoing investigation - a wider case. You cannot dismiss that he might have information related to a larger case.

They found "about 0.2 ounces each of marijuana and crack cocaine, about 0.4 ounces of powdered cocaine, an unspecified amount of hydromorphone pills and $1,632 in cash in Phillip’s pockets".  On the day they tried to investigate an issue with his car being listed as a rental with illegal tints  and smelling like marijuana.

I'd say between that and trying to escape running into property is probable cause.