New hard drives very excited

I have two 2tb Seagate ironwolf drives coming in on Tuesday so I can finally have a respectable solution to back up my data. I am going to run a raid 1 and use this entirely for backing up files from my laptop and pictures on my phone, but mostly to back up my school work. I'm really excited to have legit storage solution as opposed to the drives I pulled from old laptops that I put in enclosures. Anyone use ironwolf drives, I know linus loves his Seagate drives but anyone use them and have any opinions about them?

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Instead of a raid 1 id suggest storing one drive off side so something like a housefire or a user error or corruption doesn't destroy any data.

RAID of any kind in itself is NOT a backup. Any viruses that invade your computer, any accidental deletions, etc. will be on both drives in your computer. All RAID1 on up is protecting you from is drive failure and drive failure is not the only way you can lose data.

Electronics Wizardy's advice is spot on: use that second drive as an external drive. You can put in an external enclosure to make an external drive of it. Keep it powered down and disconnected from the computer except while updating the backup and stored somewhere away from the computer, preferably out of sight. It would also be a good idea to have a second backup drive and store it offsite. It should be swapped out with the onsite backup drive as often as is practical.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

27 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

RAID of any kind in itself is NOT a backup. Any viruses that invade your computer, any accidental deletions, etc. will be on both drives in your computer. All RAID1 on up is protecting you from is drive failure and drive failure is not the only way you can lose data.

Electronics Wizardy's advice is spot on: use that second drive as an external drive. You can put in an external enclosure to make an external drive of it. Keep it powered down and disconnected from the computer except while updating the backup and stored somewhere away from the computer, preferably out of sight. It would also be a good idea to have a second backup drive and store it offsite. It should be swapped out with the onsite backup drive as often as is practical.

Thank you for being the 10,000th person to point out that raid isn't a back up. I am using the array to back up all my data that will still remain in its original spot. This is also me trying to get some experience with raid.

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

39 minutes ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Thank you for being the 10,000th person to point out that raid isn't a back up. I am using the array to back up all my data that will still remain in its original spot. This is also me trying to get some experience with raid.

People like you are the reason why it has to be continually repeated. Apparently, I need to say it again. Raid. Is. Not. A. Backup! Except for 0, RAID is redundancy which is NOT the same as a backup.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Please explain how having data on two very separate locations, 1. an external hard drive, and 2. the raid array, is not a backup. I'm not saying that one of the drives in the array is a backing up the other.

Main Rig (Pulsar)

57 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

People like you are the reason why it has to be continually repeated. Apparently, I need to say it again. Raid. Is. Not. A. Backup! Except for 0, RAID is redundancy which is NOT the same as a backup.

Ok but if I told you I had a raid array that I used as my main storage and I was backing it up to external hard drives you would agree that my data has been backed up so why would that not apply in reverse, better yet lets just say that is what I am doing so everyone can be happy.

Main Rig (Pulsar)

1 hour ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Please explain how having data on two very separate locations, 1. an external hard drive, and 2. the raid array, is not a backup. I'm not saying that one of the drives in the array is a backing up the other.

23 minutes ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Ok but if I told you I had a raid array that I used as my main storage and I was backing it up to external hard drives you would agree that my data has been backed up so why would that not apply in reverse, better yet lets just say that is what I am doing so everyone can be happy.

Ok, I totally misunderstood you. I'm sorry. 

Jeannie

5 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

If you want to learn about raid your much better off firing up a vm with lots of virtual disks. Easy to learn and mess around with..

Also for this use, just use storage spaces in windows for raid, no reason to use motherboard fake raid. If a raid card doesn't have a battery, don't bother.

5 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Thank you for being the 10,000th person to point out that raid isn't a back up

RAID isn't a backup, yay 10,001st ;). Feel free to ignore my bad joke.

The Ironwolf disks should be fine, I've used a lot of the higher end Constellation series disks in NAS's but reality is those are over spec and over priced for that job so having Ironwolf as an option for small NAS's is great. I've used a lot of WD Reds for that reason too, now I'd just get which ever is cheaper.

Cheers, thanks for choosing Seagate. We'd love to see a pic of your setup at some point. We are around if you come up with any questions on the drives.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Cheers, thanks for choosing Seagate. We'd love to see a pic of your setup at some point. We are around if you come up with any questions on the drives.

They came in today, got them installed and in a RAID 1 and they are great

Main Rig (Pulsar)