How to enter a password secure?

Teddy07

An account is only protected by a password. I was wondering how do I enter the password the most secure way in case someone has infiltrated my PC?

I thought about on-screen keyboard but maybe there is a better option?

Google wasn't exactly helpful, so I welcome advice. Thanks guys :)

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

An account is only protected by a password. I was wondering how do I enter the password the most secure way in case someone has infiltrated my PC?

I thought about on-screen keyboard but maybe there is a better option?

Google wasn't exactly helpful, so I welcome advice. Thanks guys :)

You don't.  Of your computer has been compromised then they have the keys to the kingdom.  You can assume they can see your screen, record your inputs and everything else.  In short; You're already fucked.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You don't.  Of your computer has been compromised then they have the keys to the kingdom.  You can assume they can see your screen, record your inputs and everything else.  In short; You're already fucked.

Yes makes sense.

How about the remember my password option? Is it more safe? I would like to see if it is stored in clear text

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Yes makes sense.

How about the remember my password option? Is it more safe? I would like to see if it is stored in clear text

If they are remotely in your computer, THEY can just open up your browser and it'll log them in to whatever you have passwords stored for even if they DON'T have the password.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

If they are remotely in your computer, THEY can just open up your browser and it'll log them in to whatever you have passwords stored for even if they DON'T have the password.

Indeed that makes sense. I didn't think about that. 

Ok, that would be the worst option than. It really annoys me that this software has only such bad protection.

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Ok, that would be the worst option than. It really annoys me that this software has only such bad protection.

Once an outside entity is inside your computer the only best practice is to stop using the computer.  Format it, hope that no other machines have been afflicted, change ALL your passwords.  Scorched earth is basically the only option.

35 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Once an outside entity is inside your computer the only best practice is to stop using the computer.  Format it, hope that no other machines have been afflicted, change ALL your passwords.  Scorched earth is basically the only option.

I see.

The problem is just knowing that someone spies on you.

Do you think a firewall is helpful? I want to upgrade my defense. I just have a free antivirus program (Avast)

You know someone is going to say "Linux" at some point, right?  If not ... well ... Linux!

If you're using Avast, I'd suggest uninstalling it and moving to Windows Defender (or Microsoft Security Essentials if you're on Win7).  Mozilla devs and Chrome's big security guys are citing 3rd party antivirus as the one thing that's making browsers vulnerable. 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

The article is over a year old, but not much has changed. 

As Ashley said, once an intruder is in your system it's game over for you and no amount of being careful is going to help. 

If you suspect that a hacker has access to your PC or has compromised it in the past, completely wipe it, do a fresh install and change all passwords that you may ever have entered on the previous install. 

As for firewalls, Windows comes with a firewall.  Antivirus programs may turn it off and use their own firewall instead though. 

Also many/most routers have their own firewall.

Are you looking for protection against key loggers? Most antivirus programs already detect and block key loggers either by signatures or by monitoring behavior of applications if they exhibit behavior common to spyware and key loggers. 

But if you’re concerned about getting your passwords stolen in a public wifi, then your best defense is using a VPN but make sure than they don’t leak your DNS requests 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

11 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You know someone is going to say "Linux" at some point, right?  If not ... well ... Linux!

Yes, I want to switch to Linux after this semester but I don´t have time for now.

I am certain that my PC is safe now. I am just worried because I have a couple of hundred bucks lying around in a software that is only protected by a simple password.

37 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Yes, I want to switch to Linux after this semester but I don´t have time for now.

I am certain that my PC is safe now. I am just worried because I have a couple of hundred bucks lying around in a software that is only protected by a simple password.

On the desktop itself?

Probably the best route is to move that onto an external drive or flash drive.  If something is valuable to you, it is best to never leave it on a computer hooked to the Internet.   If you don't want to fool with it off the computer, then something like Secure Desktop may be your best bet.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 4/22/2018 at 5:02 PM, Teddy07 said:

I'm quite confused as to what you think the problem is here?

What "software" are you referring to, that has "such bad protection"?

Because what @AshleyAshes said applies to literally any operating system. If the physical device is compromised via malicious code ("malware"), then there is quite literally no way to "securely" enter in a password to said system.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I am just worried because I have a couple of hundred bucks lying around in a software that is only protected by a simple password.

Oh. Cryptocurrency.

Simple: offline hardware wallet. Or store the wallet file on a USB stick.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)