Living Room Set Up.

Nosfy

Hey guys. 

I am in need of some help. 

I recently bought a Philips 65PUS6262 which is great. As part of my living room set up I have the TV, a Samsung blu ray player a Panasonic SC-HTE200 sounbar and a Virgin V6 box.

The issue that I am having is that I cannot seem to get the sound from the TV (when using the smart tv apps) to come out of the soundbar. I have everything collected as follows:

V6 box connected to sound bar via optical audio + connect to tv via HDMI. 

Blu Ray player connected to the sound bar via HDMI. 

Sound bar connected to TV via HDMI. 

Blu ray and v6 box sound works fine through the sound bar. It is just literally the sound from the tv itself. 

Any ideas?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

make sure you have the TV set to output sound via HDMI ARC (audio return channel) and have the soundbar connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV (only one of them is ARC capable) 

try connecting the tv to the soundbar with optical audio, or any other audio out you might see on the back. I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain TV's hdmi ports are intended as inputs, not outputs.

15 minutes ago, shawnhovde said:

try connecting the tv to the soundbar with optical audio, or any other audio out you might see on the back. I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain TV's hdmi ports are intended as inputs, not outputs.

look up HDMI ARC.

optical audio and coax SPDIF has severe limitations.

it won't do more than 2 channel PCM - that means no PCM or "HD" surround sound over optical - only AC3 a.k.a. "dolby digital" or DTS.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:20 PM, KenjiUmino said:

look up HDMI ARC.

optical audio and coax SPDIF has severe limitations.

it won't do more than 2 channel PCM - that means no PCM or "HD" surround sound over optical - only AC3 a.k.a. "dolby digital" or DTS.

Hi kind of have. 

The blu ray player is connected to the Arc input on the sound bar and the sound bar then connect to the arc HDMI imput on the tv. 

Blu ray sound is 100% fine. 

The issue is the sound when using the tv built in apps. I just cant get the sound to come from the sound bar. If I change the optical cable from the v6 box direct to sound bar to v6 box to tv, I can get sound when using the apps but then when i use the v6 box i get the horrible high pitch noise everytime I turn it on or off. 

Really annoyed as i really want to enjoy my new tv but just cant figure it out. 

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

22 minutes ago, Nosfy said:

Hi kind of have. 

The blu ray player is connected to the Arc input on the sound bar and the sound bar then connect to the arc HDMI imput on the tv. 

Blu ray sound is 100% fine. 

The issue is the sound when using the tv built in apps. I just cant get the sound to come from the sound bar. If I change the optical cable from the v6 box direct to sound bar to v6 box to tv, I can get sound when using the apps but then when i use the v6 box i get the horrible high pitch noise everytime I turn it on or off. 

Really annoyed as i really want to enjoy my new tv but just cant figure it out. 

I think you have it backwards.  The bluray player should be able to use any input on the sound bar, but the TV must use the ARC input on the soundbar.  Try connecting ARC soundbar to ARC TV.

16 hours ago, Blasteque said:

I think you have it backwards.  The bluray player should be able to use any input on the sound bar, but the TV must use the ARC input on the soundbar.  Try connecting ARC soundbar to ARC TV.

You know what that could be it. I am going to feel like such an idiot if that is it. Wont be able to check it until Friday but will come back with a status update. 

Thanks man. 

On 24.4.2018 at 11:18 PM, Blasteque said:

jup ... that's how it should be - it's a RETURN channel ... so it comes back FROM the TV.

too bad the return channel carries only audio - good old scart used to offer audio AND video in both directions ... only one cable between TV and VCR to record a TV program or watch VHS movies