How much would the insurance cost for this car in the UK for a 17 year old

Adrian18102001

Hi guys so i turn 17 in 6 months and i was thinking about buying a fiat 126 which would cost me around 700 pounds in poland and then I was thinking of putting a 998c yamaha r1 engine into it and i was thinking how much the insurance would cost since its a 1.0L engine but im unsure if the insuracne will be cheap, thanks.

Probably something you should ask the insurer, since there are many factors that come into play.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Probably something you should ask the insurer, since there are many factors that come into play.

the problem is that i cant find any websites that will give me a quote without having me to provide my driving licence which i dont have

1 minute ago, Adrian18102001 said:

the problem is that i cant find any websites that will give me a quote without having me to provide my driving licence which i dont have

If you don't have a drivers license, how do you plan to drive?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

i have a provisonal licence which im not sure if it will work as im only 16

If you don't have a drivers license, how do you plan to drive?

im still 16 but like i said i  have a provisional licence  

1 minute ago, Adrian18102001 said:

im still 16 but like i said i  have a provisional licence  

So try putting that in. It's not like a quote means you're getting the insurance.

Not only that, but it's usually best if you call. A proper agent will be able to help you more than a website will.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

So try putting that in. It's not like a quote means you're getting the insurance.

Not only that, but it's usually best if you call. A proper agent will be able to help you more than a website will.

ok i will try 

12 hours ago, Adrian18102001 said:

ok i will try 

Yeah man. Just pick 2-3 different insurance companies and straight up call them. Explain you’re 16 and what license level you have (or when you expect to get the next level) and have them base the quote off that. 

They will ask all the neccessary questions. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, Adrian18102001 said:

Hi guys so i turn 17 in 6 months and i was thinking about buying a fiat 126 which would cost me around 700 pounds in poland and then I was thinking of putting a 998c yamaha r1 engine into it and i was thinking how much the insurance would cost since its a 1.0L engine but im unsure if the insuracne will be cheap, thanks.

Factors include your age, your sex (male or female), your place of residence (yes it matters whether its in the country or in the city), the vehicle itself, the color, the HP, the weight, whether you are married, whether you have children, whether you took driving school, also how many moving violations has occured (yes underage people drive illegally and get pinched)

No one would have a clue as to your insurance rate, except an Insurance Agent. I would hazard a guess that you will be paying 130gbp

Insurance on the car as it is will probably be about £2000 or more. Modifying it by throwing a different engine in it, regardless of its size, will make that price shoot up or make insurance basically impossible to get for that car. Insurers don't like modified cars, never mind a young driver with a modified car.

On 4/22/2018 at 5:04 PM, Adrian18102001 said:

i have a provisonal licence which im not sure if it will work as im only 16

I would work but there's no point.

The quote that you get with a provisional licenses will be significantly lower than the full.

For instance, I went to go-compare and compared the insurance between a provisional and full license for a Toyota Supra. It's an extreme example but it shows the difference.

Spoiler

image.png.bd3669832fd2928c0c7e23d974dfa621.png Note that the cheapest shown prices are "girls car insurance". Other companies were closer to 5200 and 2500 respectively.

Tried this with a Clio, Mini and a few others. Same sort of result. Getting cars insured on a provisional license is a waste of time imo.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You can look into "Antique" Insurance which is any care over 20 or 25 years old.

Also occasional driver on your parents policy.

So a 17 year old driving a modified import...

Assuming you can even get cover. I speak from experience when I say not a huge number of insurance companies will quote semi-sensibly for a mildly modified import, for someone in their 30's. 17 with a car with an engine swap, if you can get cover it may be over £10K. And the car will almost certainly need an engineers report, an extra expense. A 1.0 litre engine won't help bring the cost down as it's non-standard (insurers hate that, regardless of performance) and it's out of a superbike not merely a younger Fiat.

Start building the car, it sounds like an interesting project, but take your time with it until you've have a few accident free years of motoring. Car insurance gets a lot more reasonable once you get past 25 

Look on this website and it will compare all UK insurers for you. (I use this site every year when it's time to renew).

https://www.comparethemarket.com/

When it asks for when you got your license just use todays date, as it only wants to know if you're a new driver (which you will be once you get your licence).

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Insurance will likely be more than the car is worth. Just buy the car. Don't swap the engine.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If insurance isn't mandatory like it is here, then I'd recommend not buying insurance. If it is mandatory, then hold off on buying a car, it'll be too expensive.

1 hour ago, EPENEX said:

If it is mandatory, then hold off on buying a car, it'll be too expensive.

It's mandatory, and the UK is indeed incredibly expensive when it comes to insurance. 

Depending on where you live and work, not getting a car may indeed be the right move.  I did the maths for myself and the numbers were mind boggling.

1 hour ago, EPENEX said:

If insurance isn't mandatory like it is here, then I'd recommend not buying insurance. If it is mandatory, then hold off on buying a car, it'll be too expensive.

That's terrible advice. at a minimum you should have Third Party/Liability insurance.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just get third party it shud b standard cost depending on your licence.

tbh spend a bit more on a car, it’s going to be with you for a while. If you want a cheap car go for a Toyota

5 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Please tell me where you live everywhere I know requires insurance and I will actually move to your country

Just now, Adrian18102001 said:

Please tell me where you live everywhere I know requires insurance and I will actually move to your country

You misread or I conveyed incorrectly, insurance is mandatory here. But there are plenty of places where it's not.

11 hours ago, EPENEX said:

You misread or I conveyed incorrectly, insurance is mandatory here. But there are plenty of places where it's not.

Even if that were the case, it's incredibly stupid to forgo car insurance. Especially if your argument is that they cannot afford to pay for the insurance.

If they cannot afford the insurance, then they sure as hell cannot afford an accident. If nothing, they should get liability insurance even if they are going to skip getting comprehensive repair insurance on their own car.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

TBH just ask your parents to put your car on their insurance and list you as a driver. It'll be way cheaper.